PDA

View Full Version : do I need a converter box?

unimatrixzer0
10th June 2003, 18:16
I was just curious for those of you who capture video with your cable/converter box hooked up, does it improve the quality of the video any? Right now I don't have a converter box but if I got one from my cable company would it clean up any of the channels? Right now theres some degree of grain/noise on all my channels. Since its suppose to be a digital signal or whatever do I need a box from the cable company to notice that?

starpower.net is my cable company which is part of RCN I think.

kempodragon
10th June 2003, 22:43
I'm not sure if it improves quality per se. I have my card hooked up to my converter box, because the digital channels are only accessable with it. I do use the s-video hookup for a cleaner image. From the few I've done with my card's cable tuner (ATI Radeon 8500 AIW DV), and comparing with the captures of same channels from the box, I can't find any real difference. My captures of the digital channels have all been excellent. What I'd really like to see is a converter box with a 1394 port, so I could capture digitally and not have to convert to an analogue signal first. :D