PDA

View Full Version : mic-in audio distorted?

sturmie
8th June 2003, 16:05
I POSTED THIS OVER AT AVS-FORUM AS WELL:

aiight, i finally decided on a Conexant chip video card and am having a little trouble getting the MIC-IN audio to sound good (the card ONLY does video)....here is my setup:

Sony HanyCam w/ RCA audio and composite video outs
SB Audigy Platinum sound card w/ 1/8" jack MIC-IN
Composite video-in on the Conexant card

basically, i'm running the audio out from the camera into a RCA --> 1/8" (headphone) jack converter cable and to the MIC IN.....then, i'm running the composite out from the camera to the composite in on the capture card....my problem is, the audio is way too muffled and distorted.

i borrowed a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge (connected via FireWire) from my friend and that works perfectly (although, Video Vegas did report a few dropped frames)...how can i get the audio using my sound card to sound as good as the bridge? also, what program does the best RAW AVI capture? i just want to get the raw video/audio on the machine - i can manipulate it from there.

thanks....sturmie

jggimi
8th June 2003, 16:20
Try using Line-in rather than Mic-in. You'll have an impedance matching problem if you use Mic.

Note: You'll have to set line-in active rather than mic-in in your audio mixer controls.

sturmie
8th June 2003, 17:31
duh! i didn't even see the line-in....my bad....thanks.

btw, what is the best program to capture the video to AVI with? i tried Video Vegas, but a 5 min clip was only 2.5GB and i thought it would be a little more than that....by the same token, a 5 min clip in Pinnacle Studio was almost 5GB, but the video was just a black screen - weird.

EDIT
when using the Conexant card (Proling XCapture), i can't capture any higher than 640x240 resolution in Video Vegas...."No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make this connection"...what should i do?
EDIT

jggimi
8th June 2003, 19:37
If it's a Conexant "Brooktree" chip you could try using the BTWinCap driver. With that driver, I can capture at up to 740x480 NTSC.

For capture, I'd hate to make a recommendation, since a lot of the choices are based on personal preferences. Personally, I use either Vdub or IUVCR.

sturmie
8th June 2003, 20:58
it's got the Conexant CX23881 chip on it....is that "Brooktree"? the only BTWincap drivers i saw seemed to be for Bt8x8 chip cards.

sturmie

jggimi
9th June 2003, 01:13
That chip is newer than the BrookTree chips ... Conexant acquired BrookTree, and I do not know the capabilities / compatibilities of this newer chip.