PDA

View Full Version : How do I make dvd of multiple VHS tapes?

chuliu
31st May 2003, 17:30
Here is my question: I have a TV program spamming multiple tapes. How do I make them fit in one dvd? I know how to make a one tape program into a dvd by using tmpgenc plus and ifoedit( I hope you know this method so that I don't need to explain.) But if the tv program is spamming multiple tapes, I would get two or more mpeg2 files, then how do I make them into dvd files like vob, ifo, etc to use nero to record them on a dvdr? I hope I am clear enough to make you understand my problem.

aklendathu
2nd June 2003, 13:00
You can fit about 4 hours worth of video on one DVD (low resolution format). How many tapes have you got ?

Anyway, you may go about it in different ways:
1. Create a MPEG-2 file out of each tape and use the VOBEdit clip joining procedure.
2. Do a single encoding of all the tapes - this requires keeping all the captured files on disk - load the 2nd and subsequent tape AVIs into VirtualDUB as additional video segments, and use VDUB to frameserve all the videos to TMPEGenc. In this manner, however, you can only trim the overall start and end points, nothing in-between.

If you have a video editing program such as Ulead Movie Factory, Intervideo WinProducer or Pinnacle Studio, you can load all the captured AVIs, edit them to your heart's content and then render a DVD-compliant MPEG-2 file for authoring and DVD-burning.
Just remember, the longer the video you want to fit into 4.37 GB the lower the bitrate (and resolution) you can use.

Hope this helps,

Pedro.

chuliu
2nd June 2003, 18:41
Thanks for the reply. And it helps. I think I will go with the first method as I understand it better than the second method.;) BTW, you mentioned I can fit at most 4 hour of program into one dvd at lower resolution. How can I set the resolution? I am using intervideo windvr. I hope this is not too naive. Thanks.

aklendathu
2nd June 2003, 19:27
Well, if it works the same way as in the other Intervideo porgrams I know, you only need select the proper profile from a list - it should be something like NTSC 1/4 DVD or PAL 1/4 DVD according to your TV system.

First, you need to know how long the total video is. Then, use a bitrate calculator to figure out the bitrate of the MPEG-2 video
If its below 4000 kBps you need to selecr 1/2 DVD, if it's below 2000 kBps you need to use 1/4 DVD.