PDA

View Full Version : What is happining to my Sony DRU-500A burner?!!

tomy601k
23rd May 2003, 09:02
Hi ... I have a problem with my Sony DRU-500A dvd-+rw ... I've burned 30 princo dvd-r's and 10 datalife dvd-r's till now without any problem ... not even a single error or mistake ... but the guys in the #doom9 channel said that there will be problems playing princo's dvd's in the future so I decided to switch to imation dvd-r's ... I went to the store and found 2 types of blank dvd-r's ... one for video and the other for data ... I asked the salesman about the difference and he said that there is no difference ... anyhow ... I took the dvd-r for video ... you can find more details about it here if you know japanese ...

http://www.imation.co.jp/products/pc_media/dvdr_ram/dvd_r/faq/

I tried to burn one those dvd-r's ... I'm trying to burn an image using DVD Decrypter ... the image is produced from image tool classic 0.90 ... as I said before ... 40 dvd-r's without a single loss :(

I got this msg after 6% from starting to burn :

---------------
I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0]SONY DVD RW DRU-500A 1.0d ( D: )

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 23 46 20 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write(10) - Sectors: 214560-214591

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Illegal Mode For This Track
----------------

Ok .. I removed the dvd-r ... and then put and imation dvd-rw ... to see if it can burn or not ... and the operation completed successfully ... so I turned off my PC ... checked the cables ... restarted and then tried to burn another dvd-r imation ... but unfortunatly ... I got the same error with different CDB and Sectors ofcours after 9% this time ... :confused:

I then decided to try the old princo dvd-r's to see if there is a problem in the media or in the drive itself ... it burned till ir reached 99% ... and then the same error again ... so I tried Sony dvd+rw which came with the dvd drive ... and it burned successfully :( ... I tried another princo dvd-r to see if that was just a simple rare case ... which didn't happen before as I said ... but it prgressed till 97% ... and the same error occured ... I don't know what happened to the drive and what caused this ... but I wish if someone could tell me at least what is the problem ... it all started when I tried to burn the first imation dvd-r for video ... Please guys if anyone could help me I would be really appreciated ... I'm going to return those imation dvd-r's for video ... but that is not the problem ... the problem is now that even princo dvd-r's won't be burned anymore :(

Tomy.

Future2000
23rd May 2003, 11:35
Hi there,

I've had a similar I/O error on a DRU500A using DVD Decrypter and a specific ISO that obviously wasn't created properly in the first place. Have you tried a burn with any other software using both types of disks. Are you burning the same iso every time?

:o

tomy601k
23rd May 2003, 11:56
Hi, for this particualr ISO ... I didn't use image tool ... I meant that I used image tool for most of my other burned dvd-r's ... anyhow for this ISO I simply used DVD Decrypter in ISO read mode ... and when I finished I used it in ISO write mode ... Hence : the DVD size is less than 4.36 GB ... but as you've noticed from my previous post ... that I could burn this ISO without any problems in imation dvd-rw .. and sony dvd+rw ... to confirm I now did another test with imation dvd-rw and it worked ... so I don't think it is related to the ISO ... don't you think so ... :rolleyes:

Anyhow ... I found some new info ... I hope it will be usefull ... behind the imation dvd-r for video it's written :
* DVD-R for General Ver 2.0
* This product conforms the DVD-R (for general) specification version 2.0 and can be used with a DVD-R compatible video recoreder.

behind the imation dvd-rw I found this :
* DVD rewritable disc version 1.1

behind the sony dvd+rw I found this :
* This product has been designed for use in DVD+RW recording devices, conforming to basic format specifications version 1.0

so, could that answer why my Sony burner couldn't burn imation dvd-r for video ... coz it is Ver 2.0 and I might need to upgrade my firmware from 1.0d so that I can burn those dvd-r's ...

But again this doesn't answer why I'm not able to burn on my princo dvd-r's ... :(

Tomy.

tomy601k
24th May 2003, 15:39
No one know how I can handle this situation :confused:

LIGHTNING UK!
26th May 2003, 13:02
Burn the ISO with another program. You dont 'need' to use DVD Decrypter.
I have no idea why that error crops up, its shouldnt because it just doesnt fit with the DVD spec.

tomy601k
27th May 2003, 01:02
Hi LIGHTNING UK!

Thanks for your reply ...

I never used any other program to burn my dvd-r's ... Coz I never had any problems with DVD Decrypter before ... Besides I heard a lot of bad things about other burning programs and how the generated dvd-r's won't work on you dvd stand alone ... I heard a lot of problems regarding Nero for example ... Nevertheless I tried to copy the successfull burned dvd-rw on a princo dvd-r and it worked ok till 99% of the burning process ... Can you suggest a program that would be close enough to your amazing program ... which I doubt ... ;)

Anyhow ... I thought I would give you the message I got when I'm trying to burn with my old princo dvd-r's ... I changed the settings in I/O tab for the interface from SPTI to ASPI - WNASPI32.DLL ... I don't know if that would help or not ... I got the following message after 99% of burning ... near the finalizing phase ... and by the way this ISO is not generated from DVD Decrypter ... it is generated from image tool ...

----------------------

I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0]SONY DVD RW DRU-500A 1.0d ( D: )

ASPI SRB Status: 0x04
Interpretation: SRB Completed With Error

Host Adapter Status: 0x00
Interpretation: Host Adapter Did Not Detect An Error

Target Status: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 22 C4 A0 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write(10) - Sectors: 2278560-2278591

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Illegal Mode For This Track

----------------------

So I would be grateful for some suggestions ... for instance ... Do I need to upgrade my firmware? ... Do I need to do a clean install for windows XP? ... Do I need to get another media besides imation and princo? ... Where do I have to seek support from ... imation or Sony?

The wierd thing in the whole subject ... that everything was fine untill I started to burn with those new imation dvd-r for video ... since then I haven't been able to burn any dvd-r successfully .. exept for dvd-rw and dvd+rw ... it is really wierd ...
:rolleyes:

Tomy.

gooki
27th May 2003, 02:55
Go out and buy a Verbatim or Pioneer branded DVD-R disc, and test that.

Imation have never been known for quality DVD-R media.

bairradino
27th May 2003, 09:04
tomy601k,

Your problem is about the media you are using.
Try to use DVD Decrypter to see wich is, really, the manufaturer of these DVD's.
If they are VIVASTAR try to return them to the store where you bought them, and don't waste your time.
You were sucessfully with Imation DVD-RW because (I think) the "real" manufacturer is different of that Imation DVD-R
Go to DVD Decrypter and tell us about.

tomy601k
27th May 2003, 17:45
Update :

I talked to the guys in the store which I bought imation DVD-R from ... they said that they have contacted imation support and they didn't heard about such problem with their DVD-R's ... anyhow ... they are willing to replace those imation DVD-R's with Sony DVD-R's ... I'll go there in the next qouple of days ... Here are the info for each DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW I'm using ...

Imation DVD-R
-------------
Manufacturer ID: MCC 00RG200

Imation DVD-RW
--------------
Manufacturer ID: OPTODISCK001

Sony DVD+RW
-----------
There is no info ... Probably because the drive itself is Sony ...

Princo DVD-R
------------
Manufacturer ID: PRINCO

One more thing ... I couldn't play imation DVD-RW which burned ok on my LG DVD-ROM ... I'm getting this message "F:\ is not accessible incorrect function".

Besides, there is something happened before this problem occured ... I was trying to burn an ISO file into my DVD burner ... and I got a message mentioning that I couldn't burn without finalizing the CD ... and I had to choose between "Turn Off Multisession", "Turn Off DAO" and "Cancel" ... I choosed "Turn Off Multisession" ... but even with that I couldn't burn that ISO file ... so I burned it with my CD-RW Drive ... I don't know if that is related to my problem or not ... I guess I have to try on another media at first ... but with Princo DVD-R's I didn't havd any problems before and now ... it seems that the finalizing DVD-R can't be done anymore ... I hope that my DVD Writer isn't screwed or something ...
Tomy.

Future2000
28th May 2003, 10:10
'Incorrect function'. As far as I'm aware this basically means the DVD hasn't burnt properly, i.e. it's not to the DVD specification. I've seen this error a lot with non compliant CD-R's.

:o

tomy601k
1st June 2003, 11:55
OK .. I got new Media ... and I updated my firmware to 2.0f ...

Sony DVD-R
----------
Manufacturer ID: TDKG02000000

Perfect results :D ... before I upgrade the firmware the speed was 1X ... but after the upgrade it is now 2X ...

Data Life DVD-R
---------------
Manufacturer ID: POSJ 01

I tried 2 of them till now before the firmware upgrade ... one of them on DVD Decrypter ... which processed till 9% only ... and the other on Nero 5.5.10.28 ... processed till 99% but failed to do DAO (Disk At Once)at the end of burning ... I'm now going to try another one after the firmware upgrade to see if it gonna work or not ...

Tomy.

tomy601k
1st June 2003, 13:16
Well ... Data Life DVD-R burned OK now after the firmware upgrade ... :rolleyes: I'll need to burn another one to make sure that it was a firmware problem.

Tomy.

Toona
4th June 2003, 14:34
yeah please keep us posted cause I am now having problems with my Sony burner been makin lots of coasters lately with verbatims of which I never had problems before and using same program , Nero, that I have always used maybe I too need to update the firmware???

Kika
4th June 2003, 15:32
Manufacturer ID: TDKG02000000

That's the type of Discs i can burn perfectly, but they won't play on my Afreey LD2060 (but running perfect on my Denon DVD3000).

sarahjh69
5th June 2003, 16:54
pay 280 for a 4x writer
and find it only works at 2x

I love sony.........
(and find it only likes expensive media)

this problem is very easy to cure, many people have had
very satisfactory results using this method.

remove sony writer from PC, and sell on ebay
buy pioneer 105 with the money you get.

LakersFan
5th June 2003, 23:07
I'm having the same exact problems with my DRU500a! I have firmware 2.0f and still the same probs... Most fail, a few will actually succeed. I tried switching from DVD Decryptor to Alcohol 120% with no success.

I'm using Samsung BeAll disks. I'll try some Verbatim Datalife Plus when I get some extra cash...

Future2000
6th June 2003, 17:13
sarahjh69 - Are you some kind of fool?

Obviously your conclusions here astounds me.

Please, just because you have bad experiences don't slag off the best writer on the market!

My Blank DVD disks I use with the Sony cost between 75p each and 1.50. I have burnt 264 DVD-'s and had 4 coasters all with a lovely SONY DRU500A. Which I might note I purchased pretty soon after they were released. I guess you can't please some people. At least I can burn DVD+R & -R which a Pioneer owner can't!.

p.s. I have burn't +R & -R at 4x also!

what are you like?

Caedel
7th June 2003, 06:03
I'd have to agree... possibly a few lemons are in the hands of a few unfortunate people, but there is no doubt 500A is a great burner.

Also, my sony loves Ritek, which I would not classify as expensive media... maybe that is a personal issue you are having.

killingspree
19th June 2003, 16:51
hmmm... darn... i got the exact same error with the same burner sony dru 500 a (2.0c) burning a "StorQuest DVD-R"
i used an image file created by dvddecrypter, first burnt it to the Sony DVD+RW to make sure i won't produce a coaster (haha), then tried burning to the disk and failed at 53%
i was even burning at 1x and didn't use the computer while it was burning ):
it's also one of these v2.0 DVD-R :confused:

i'd say this is really annoying ):

steVe

markrb
19th June 2003, 18:26
My DRU-500A has started crapping out as well. I have tried 4 types of media (Ritek G03, Fuji DVD +R and +RW along with a Sony - RW) and all fail at about 25%. I never had a coaster until 3 days ago and now nothing will burn.
I contacted Sony Tech support and they grilled me like I was trying to pull something over them and that they wanted nothing to do with the drive. They are having me do a CD burn with their diagnostic software and I must email them the zip file that it creates before they will consider giving me an RMA.
What gets me is that I always though DVD's burned with a different laser. So if their is an issue with that part they will not see the error.
Sometimes companies can go too far to try to avoid non defective RMA's.

I always liked the drive, but now we will see how they deal with problems. I hope the rest of the proccess is easier.

BTW don't bother emailing them they never return emails IME.

Mark

sarahjh69
19th June 2003, 20:42
let me explain myself
there seem to be 2 types of Sony
1 works with nearly all media
1 doesn't
if you have 1 that doesn't, you are totally screwed.
if you have a good one. you're a very lucky person.
If you take the time to look in serious dvd burning forums
you will find hundreds of people with sonys that just
don't work properly.

killingspree
19th June 2003, 21:09
does it matter when you bought it, where you bought it, what firmware it is using?

thanks for your indications!
steVe

markrb
20th June 2003, 03:49
My problem may(big MAY) have been resolved. I had forgotten to install the Force Aspi drivers as I normally would have on a recent wipe of my OS. After finally reaching somebody at Sony that knew what they were talking about (like pulling teeth hard) they said to try and re-install the Aspi drivers. What was also very interesting was that she was insistant that I stay in the 4.6 range and NOT install the 4.7 range of Aspi drivers. She didn't explain why beyond saying that the 4.6 era drivers seem to work better.

For those that are having issues with this drive check to see if you have ForceAspi installed and if you do make sure it's the older version. May not help you out, but I have been able to make 2 burns in a row without a problem and that hasn't happened in awhile.

Lets hope that my problem is really fixed and that this might help others with burning issues.

Mark

LakersFan
20th June 2003, 23:41
Hey Gang,
FYI, I tried a different brand of DVD-R's (Verbatim DataLife Plus). Everyone of them that I've tried so far have burnt fine. Guess I had a bad batch of disks...

sarahjh69
21st June 2003, 12:19
It doesn't seem to be firmware of pc dependent.
2 sonys with the same firmware, 1 good one, 1 bad one
put the good one in the pc and burned at 4x without problems
put the bad one in its place...can only burn at 2x and get good result.

cure....sell sony on ebay and buy pioneer 105 (123 inc vat and post)
burn Bulkcrap Orange at 4x without problems (74p each)

Petrus
18th July 2003, 21:42
Originally posted by markrb
My problem may(big MAY) have been resolved. I had forgotten to install the Force Aspi drivers as I normally would have on a recent wipe of my OS. After finally reaching somebody at Sony that knew what they were talking about (like pulling teeth hard) they said to try and re-install the Aspi drivers. What was also very interesting was that she was insistant that I stay in the 4.6 range and NOT install the 4.7 range of Aspi drivers. She didn't explain why beyond saying that the 4.6 era drivers seem to work better.

For those that are having issues with this drive check to see if you have ForceAspi installed and if you do make sure it's the older version. May not help you out, but I have been able to make 2 burns in a row without a problem and that hasn't happened in awhile.

Lets hope that my problem is really fixed and that this might help others with burning issues.

Mark

markrb, i don't know if you have the problem solved, but for me it worked.
I was having the same problem you all was having, but after reading this thread, i installed ForceASPI 4.6 and voila, my sony is back on line... thx for the info

Pedro Oliveira