PDA

View Full Version : How long should it take to create a DivX?

BabeWalls
20th May 2003, 21:38
I am considering to upgrade my system so that I can create DivX's faster.

My system is 700mhx AMD, 192 MB SDRAM, 64MB Video card.

What is the best thing to upgrade to decrease the time it takes?

Currently a 2-pass file about 2 hours in length takes about 8-9 hours to do.

How long would it take to make the file if i upgrade using your suggestion?

Thanks for any help offered.

Angelus
21st May 2003, 01:08
I would suggest getting a faster processor to help speed up your DIVX encoding. Also, having more RAM wouldn't be such a bad thing either :D
I use a P-4 1.6 GHz with 512 Ram and it usually takes me about 3-4 hours when it's all said and done to create a normal, 2 hour movie. I am probably not the most knowlegable person but i think a CPU would be the most important, cause then it would be able to process the movie's faster as well.

Angelus

japouleripeur
21st May 2003, 01:32
with Angelus.

Getting a new fast CPU will be the more efficient as DivX process is essentially calculations.

epere4
21st May 2003, 02:05
I agree, too, but I donīt think you posted in the right section.

You should post here only things specifically related to GKnot. Read the rules (http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm). Rule #3 says: Keep the focus: Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved, locked or simply be deleted.

Your kind of question should have gone to the General Discussion section, maybe...

CU

jggimi
21st May 2003, 13:09
Actually, the PC hardware forum is where this may best belong. Moved.

Solo
21st May 2003, 14:34
Firstly check to see what the fastest CPU is that your motherboard
can support. If it can support a faster one then do that. The AMD Duron chips up to 1.3 GHZ are dirt cheap.
Should you have to upgrade your motherboard as well it might require
upgrading the RAM as well as newer ones support up to DDR400.
It all depends on your budget though.
Various settings will determine the final speed of your encode.
(e.g.) AMD 1.4 GHZ + 512MB PC133 RAM + 90min (2:35:1 Ratio)PAL
movie using AviSynth + VDubMod (only resize/crop filter)+ DivX 5.05
1 pass @ 1100kbps = about 110 min.

BabeWalls
21st May 2003, 17:03
Sorry for posting in the wrong section :rolleyes:

I think I will be buying a 2Gig processor not matter whether my motherboard does support it or not.
I'll just have to upgrade my motherboard if it doesnt. At least then I'll be able to use DDR-RAM

How would I know what speed processor my motherboard can handle?

jggimi
21st May 2003, 17:28
www.asus.com perhaps?

Solo
21st May 2003, 18:17
Go to http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and download it.
It will show you the model of your mobo + other info.
Then go to www.google.com and search for the specifications
of your board.

brashquido
22nd May 2003, 00:20
If you're on a budget, I'd recommend an AMD XP system using a Nforce 2 based board. Media creation depends greatly on two things, CPU and memory bandwidth.

All Nforce 2 boards automatically unlock all T-Bred and Barton core XP CPUs. This means that when couple with some decent PC3200 you can pump the FSB upto around 200Mhz+ which along with the Dual DDR of the Nforce 2 boards gives you an enourmous amount of memory bandwidth, without having to overclock the hell out of your CPU.

My old video editing machine with a KT333 chipset, XP2100 and 768MB PC2700 of ram, all running at stock multiplier and FSB speeds (133Mhz FSB x 13 multiplier)had a CCE speed of about 1.55. My gaming system which is based on a Nforce 2 chipset, XP2400+ and 2 x 256MB PC3500 in Dual DDR, running at an overclock of 200Mhz FSB x 11 multiplier has a CCE speed of 2.3. That's an increase of almost 50% using components that are of similar spec with exception of the Nforce 2. With these components this is a mild overclock, and is stable 24/7.

I'm now upgrading the motherboard and ram on my video editing system to this;

Abit NF7-S V2.0 Nforce 2 Motherboard
2 x 512MB Samsung PC3200

This is costing me around $600AUD ($400USD) which considering the speed increase I'll gain isn't a lot of money. I priced out getting a P4 2.8-C, Abit IC7, and 2 x 512MB OCZ PC3700, but it was going to cost me over $1600AUD ($1000USD) which was a bit more than I could justify spending to just increase my video encoding speeds.

MasterYoshidino
22nd May 2003, 07:42
there is no solid answer for "how long"
if you was transcoding from a huffyuv w/o any filters into an DivX avi, then my cpu not overclocked (1.8GHz P4) does about ~30fps at 640x480
any filtering will slow down the process, same goes if your transcoding file and transcoded file are on two different physical drives (recommended to speed up encoding)

AMD is definately cheaper, but watch out for SSE2 optimized programs/plugin dll's , which even the slowest P4's can run quickly.

ppera2
23rd May 2003, 20:43
I have average speed of 30 fps in most cases. It means that 2-pass for 2 hour movie will take about 3.5 hours (PAL).
With G Knot 0.28.

Machine is XP 1900 on Epox MB, with only 266 MHz DDR. I can overclock it to work 20% faster, but use it rare because it's not imortant for overnight encoding.

But must tell that speed can vary much in dependance of resolution of source, output resolution and of course used filters.
I had in some cases over 53 fps average (non-OC) with DVD with small res., where I just cropped, no resize was needed.

ztdd
24th May 2003, 13:52
if u got enough bux
try dual xeon 2G+ with 1G+ ram
lol
it must be fast as a jetplane
no doubt

ppera2
25th May 2003, 13:23
Originally posted by ztdd
if u got enough bux
try dual xeon 2G+ with 1G+ ram
lol
it must be fast as a jetplane
no doubt

Yeah... But no much use from it - so much RAM isn't necessary. To get most of dual CPU you need lot of knowledge, and even then many program can't use it...