PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP to copy an ALPINE GPS DVD

mc4
15th May 2003, 21:41
Hi, I have an Alpine GPS system that uses an european data DVD. What I want to do is to make an working copy of the DVD, but it has 6,5 GB of data and I don't know what files I can throw away so I get 4.5 GB to fit an DVD+R.
The original DVD has most of the europen countrys, but I only need Italy, France, Spain and Portugal.

Any help from you ?
Thanks,
Mike

thop
15th May 2003, 22:40
cross-posting and double-posting at the same time is rare :)

mc4
15th May 2003, 23:10
Thop,

You're right. I didn't know which forum is the proper, so I tried this two.
Anyway, thanks for your quick answer, it helped a lot ...

Mike

thop
16th May 2003, 09:49
I aim to please.

Ookami
16th May 2003, 11:48
Originally posted by mc4
Thop,

You're right. I didn't know which forum is the proper, so I tried this two.
Anyway, thanks for your quick answer, it helped a lot ...

Mike

In the future, please, in doubt post in one forum only (as a matter of fact, always :) ) a moderator will move it if it's wrong. but, it's really not so hard to post in the right forum. I will, just like the nice mod/admin who helped me in this case, not strike you but rather point you to out, rather harsh but fair, rules.

http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm

So, is the DVD a data DVD-ROM or a video DVD? If it's a video DVD, e.g. DVD Shrink could be used... If it's a data DVD then the things become more tricky (or could be very easy in the same time).

Cheers,

Mijo.

mc4
16th May 2003, 13:59
Ookami

Thanks for your input.
The GPS DVD is in fact a data dvd. The problem is to know which files aren't necessary to work properly. If I knew that I can take out the data from some countrys ( like Germany that has detailed street data ) I think that I could shrink it to fit in a DVD+R. The problem is that I realy don't know if it is possible and if it is, how can I do it.

Thanks again,

Mike :)

Gerbel
22nd May 2003, 08:40
A suggestion, have a hunt through the disc and try to chop the disc files up into regions (if there are any). I'm guessing that it doesn't stick out obviously like

[ROOT]
ITALY
file
file
GERMANY
file
file

etc.

if you can work out what files are NOT needed, look for files that indicate ANY type of region or files you don't need. Then replace those files with DUMMY files. Hopefully the unit wont do a CRC checksum test to verify they disc, and will only use the files it needs.

Sorry if this sounds useless but i just thought i'd try to help.

-Gerbel

mc4
22nd May 2003, 23:20
Gerbel,

Indeed I made a exploration in those files and I saw that almost of the files in the IDX directory have a termination 001 to 020, depending of the country. I got 002 for Andorra, 007 for Spain, 008 for France and 017 for Portugal.

I deleted all the files that I didnīt need and made a copy to a DVD but it didn't work. I got a error message from the GPS system saying " put the original dvd inside ...".

Why did I get this? Maybe I couldn't simply delete the files that I don't need but like you said:

"Then replace those files with DUMMY files"

What do you mean with this ? Must I use for example the NOTEPAD and save an empty file with the name and extension of the files that I want to delete, so I got a tiny file but still got the original name/extension or must I do it in other way ??

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

Gerbel
22nd May 2003, 23:43
Yeah use, notepad to create an empty file that has the same filename and extension. so when the GPS unit looks for the files it finds them all. Hopefully it doesn't do a file size check unless it needs to use those files.

It's going to be a LOT of trial and error on this.

mc4
23rd May 2003, 13:50
Gerbel,

You said: "It's going to be a LOT of trial and error on this..."

But it worked at the first time :)

I replaced all the countries that I didn't use very often with files with just 1 byte and it works!

Now I'm going to make another DVD with the other countries and with this I got all the countries...

Thanks for your help.
Mike ;)

Gerbel
23rd May 2003, 14:44
Glad to hear it.
I'm happy for you.

Have a good one.

-Gerbel