PDA

View Full Version : Vobsub: How to place subtitle under the video?

frodoontop
6th May 2003, 18:48
I started to use Vobsub since it works with matroska-files which have .srt subtitles muxed in.
With .ogm files I used to place the subtitles under the 16:9 video in the black bars with the subtitle filter by Tobias Waldvogel(tobias.everwicked.com). I would like to have the same functionality in Vobsub. So far I only managed to place the subtitle in the video, maybe someone can help me out.
Don't know if it matters, but I use Media Player Classic to play the file.

gabest
7th May 2003, 13:09
Use the extend to 16:9/4:3 optinos in dvobsub to add black bars below and above the picture.

Btw, I'm just curious, can mpc load and use the embeded subs from matroska with the vmr renderers? I have yet to try it... :)

frodoontop
7th May 2003, 13:21
It seems one has to reload the video before the black bars are created. :D
Thanks for your answer!

BTW: I only managed playing subs with Vobsub yet. Without it, they won't.

gabest
7th May 2003, 13:32
Could you give me a hint which program to use to add an srt to mkv?

cca
7th May 2003, 13:44
@Gabest:

I believe that the latest VirtualDubMod can create .mkv (matroska) files that are spec compliant. That includes muxing of .SRT files. The problem is that the 0.3.1 (latest as far as I know) Directshow Filter for Matroska does not correctly support subtitles yet and that leads to weird problems. I think that frodoontop was lucky that he was even able to play the muxed subtitles.

gabest
7th May 2003, 13:51
That's what I thought too, but apparently 1.5.1.1a can't mux any srt for me.

frodoontop
7th May 2003, 15:30
Virtualdubmod did the job for me. The muxing part. You have to configure vobsub to autoload. (Directvobsub properties, general, always load). Christian said this somewhere and this worked for me.

gabest
7th May 2003, 15:53
Finally, I found the streams/add button :P

The saved mkv file doesn't want to run though, it just sits at 00:00.

frodoontop
7th May 2003, 18:04
You probably have to register the Matroska Direct Show Filter. Put the kaxdemux.dll in c:\ and type: regsvr32 c:\kaxdemux.dll

That should do the trick.

gabest
7th May 2003, 18:12
I did ;) It plays without the srt muxed.

frodoontop
7th May 2003, 22:17
The last thing I can think off is the version of the DirectShowFilter. Are you already using 0.3.1? I use it already.