PDA

View Full Version : How to properly import subtitles in DVDMaestro

singhcr
4th May 2003, 03:10
It took me a long, long time, but here is how I got subtitles to work correctly in DVDMaestro.

***NTSC Only****

First, when you rip the subs, make sure your *.SON file is in the same directory as the actual subtitle BMP's, this is why you got the "no corresponding subtitles found" message. Save your *.SON in Maestro format, 29.97 FPS NTSC Drop-Frame.

Here's what you do with the video.
1. Encode a one-pass video in CCE (or whatever you use) and make sure it is at 29.97 fps, in other words don't use ForceFilm in DVD2AVI. This video is for your subtitles.

2. Encode another copy of the video (I use 9-pass CCE), make sure it is at 23 FPS (enable ForceFilm on DVD2AVI). You technically don't need step #2 but using the video from #1 often leads to interlacing problems.

3. Run Pulldown on video #2.

4. Load the chapter list onto DVDMaestro.
5. Remove any file on the video track and replace it with video #1. You should see "29.97 Drop Frame" in the lower left of the Maestro window.
6. Now right-click in the subtitle tracks and import.
7. Replace video #1 with video #2. The framerate should now be 29.97.

I guarentee this will work. If you import the subtitles when video #2 is in the video track your subtitles will not sync properly.

I hope this helps. I have spent several hours and I used the guides on the Doom9 site but this is the only method that works for me.

ppera2
5th May 2003, 15:46
You didn't described in more details what type of subtitle you use, how extract them etc...

I made couple DVD's with subtitles which are made from textual (ASCII) sub files.
As I see, there is at least 2 way for it: generating bitmaps and SON file with maestro SBT. Second is to convert sub to DVD Maestro's Spruce STL format, and DVD maestro will generate bitmaps.

This methode has advantage that we can choose font which we like. I put also shadows an titles with pic batch processing program.

vav
6th September 2003, 20:50
Originally posted by ppera2
I made couple DVD's with subtitles which are made from textual (ASCII) sub files.
As I see, there is at least 2 way for it: generating bitmaps and SON file with maestro SBT. Second is to convert sub to DVD Maestro's Spruce STL format, and DVD maestro will generate bitmaps.

This methode has advantage that we can choose font which we like. I put also shadows an titles with pic batch processing program.

Hi,
As I'm interested in the 2nd method you describe, I'd be very greatful if you'de look into this thread (at my post in it) and try to help me out...
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=32975&referrerid=19366

If you could show me te way with that - I'd love to learn how you did the shadowing...;)

thanks in advance,

ppera2
6th September 2003, 21:28
Originally posted by vav
Hi,
As I'm interested in the 2nd method you describe, I'd be very greatful if you'de look into this thread (at my post in it) and try to help me out...
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=32975&referrerid=19366

If you could show me te way with that - I'd love to learn how you did the shadowing...;)

thanks in advance,

I'm not some expert in this, made it only for one movie until now. Conversion to STL gone without problems, but I didn't keep that file.

After playing with colors etc. I decided to make shadowed titles - it's possible because we have even 3 colors for font by DVD. So I worked with first methode (btw. we can choose font in Maestro SBT too - I don't know why I wrote 'this method'....)

So, generated bitmaps with Maestro SBT, then with programm EyeBatch added shadows for all them - of course I added only once, and used batch processing for all bitmap. I really don't remember details, but know that must be very careful on many things because of indexed color palette handling of bitmaps. I think that Photoshop has too batch image processing, and probably there is some other software for it. Eyebatch is shareware, 30 days evaluation.
Here is example of shadowed title:
http://www.pootnik.com/pic/13thW_SW_0002.bmp

vav
7th September 2003, 10:13
ppera2, thanks for the swift reply.
well, since I couldn't generated proper bmps with maestrosbt (r2l language), I insisted on producing this STL file, and managed to produce one ONLY with VOBSUB. strange enough since subtitle workshop produced an identical file (timing-wise).
however, got it properly into Maestro, and I have nlt a coloring problem. Read tons of threads about it so I'll try on my own first ;)

the shadowed bmp looks great, I'll try that shareware soon.

thanks again! :)