PDA

View Full Version : how to capture tv with teletext subtitle(caption)

vchip
2nd May 2003, 17:46
hi
i want capture a tv program on sattelite that have subtitle in teletext mode in page 888
how can i capture that program with subtitle?
i can see subtitles in close caption in my ati aiw radeon card

McPoodle
23rd May 2003, 09:03
By "capture", do you mean keep it with the video file so you can see the subtitles every time you play the file out to a TV set, or do you mean extracting them into some sort of text file (that you can then convert into SVCD or DVD subtitles)? I don't think there is a way to keep the subtitles in the video file, since that sort of information is stripped out when the video file is created.

As for ripping the subtitles out to use later, take a look at my web site (http://www.geocities.com/mcpoodle43/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_TOOLS.HTML#capture_analog). I describe how to use GraphEdit to rip NTSC closed captions from a video capture card; for Teletext, you would use the WST Codec filter (for World Standard Teletext) instead of the CC Decoder, and the WST Decoder filter instead of the Line 21 Decoder. If you right-click on the WST Codec filter and select Filter Properties, you should get a dialog box to select which page you want to output. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the resulting file will look like--it may be in some kind of binary format that has to be translated (just like closed captions). I have a copy of the source code for the VBI Decoding Library which documents Teletext, so assuming you can get a binary file out of this process, post it here and I'll see what I can figure out.