PDA

View Full Version : VobSub: Wrong subtitle color

Blankman
25th April 2003, 03:21
Uggh! This problem seems to pop-up at random. Subtitles are displayed with the correct colors when viewed with subresync, but they are displayed with the wrong color (all colors replaced with only one color: blue-green) when viewed through VirtualDubMod via an AviSynth 2.5 script and the VSFilter plugin.

After many failed attempts to recover from this problem, the only recovery tenchinque that seems to work is to uninstall and reinstall VobSub 2.23, then reboot.

However the problem does eventually reappear for no apparent reason, and I need to uninstall, reinstall, and reboot to recover.

LigH
25th April 2003, 06:44
I can agree - I also had often wrong colors. I guess it might depend on the structure of the IFO files, e.g. especially when the VTS contains more than one PGC (but this guess might be wrong). Therefore; I always check the colors with VirtualDub first and manually override the colors. It's a bit more tweaking, but at least a quite safe work-around. I'm just about to repeat my guide about the "MIB backup" for the German doom9 forum, and as soon as the wrong alignment bug is fixed, I will write about this work-around.

Blankman
26th April 2003, 21:26
I've tried manually setting colors with no sucess. And the doc folder doesn't have any examples or descriptions of using "Configure".

I inspected the registry entries for VobSub and there doesn't seem to be anything there that wopuld influence the color.

I suspect that there may be an unidentified flag that is errononously getting set that is cauing this problem, but I have yet to locate it. My last ditch desperation act: uninstall, reinstall, and reboot seems to do the trick. With the information deficit I have, this course of action seems to be the only solution for now. :(

Blankman
28th April 2003, 18:14
OK. My problem with VobSub rendering subtitles in the wrong color resurfaced again. This time I saved all my various .IDX and .SUB files and compared the BAD against the GOOD. This is what I found.

On the GOOD subtitle files (colors rendered properly: aqua, yellow, & white), the following line appeared in the .IDX:

custom colors: OFF, tridx: 0000, colors: 06faa0, 06fa60, 000000, 000000

On the BAD subtitle files (colors rendered improperly: blue-green), the following line appears in the .IDX:

custom colors: OFF, tridx: 10000, colors: 7e7e7e, 14bef3, 1f1f1f, 000000

OK. So knowing this, what may be done next to trace the problem back to the source?

brashquido
29th April 2003, 05:03
I have the same problem using VobSub through DoItFast4U. I think LigH might be onto something as the only difference from this movie and the others I've done is I'm re-encoding multi PGC's.

The only thing that doesn't mesh is that the english subtitles are fine, it's just all the other languages that aren't right.

LigH
29th April 2003, 12:58
IFO files can contain several color indexes - it is quite possible that VobSub does not locate the correct location of color entries for other than the first PGC. But using "custom colors ON" shall always work...

BTW: You have a strange idea of "correct colors" (aqua, yellow, & white)! :sly: Most usual for DVD text subtitles are white, black and maybe middle-gray. (I think, the Nederlands expect a yellow instead of a white text body.)

Blankman
29th April 2003, 15:03
In my case, I have a PGC with 36 Chapters and I'm selectively transcoding each set of 5 Chapters (minus the dummy 36th Chapter) into an individual .avi.

One other thing I need to try is to extract the IFO directly off the DVD. Currently I have an ISO image of the DVD on mh HD which I mount using Daemon Tool. Perhaps Daemon Tools or the ISO extractor may be introducing the problem.

But if the problem source is with IFO parsing then I guess I'll have to figure out how to use custom colors. Maybe I've missed something, but I couldn't find the any helpful information on using Configure in the VobSub Doc foilder, and there doesn't seem to be any related info in the forum. So far, I've had nothing but failures using custom colors. Either it just plain doesn't work, or it's doing what I tell it do to and not what I want it to do.

By the way, the color code statemment that works for me looks strange:

custom colors: OFF, tridx: 0000, colors: 06faa0, 06fa60, 000000, 000000

06faa0 and 06fa60 both produce a greenish color, and 000000 is black. Perhaps the color bits are ordered differently from HTML. (More to research.)

As for my colors, those are the colors used on my DVDs. Aqua for Opening and Closing credits; Yellow for normal stuff; and White for commentary stuff.

LigH
30th April 2003, 14:56
I am not absolutely sure, but IFO color entries may be stored not as RGB, but as a kind of YUV. Therefore, it my be not easy to easily spot the color from those values. But of course, I don't know what Gabest stores in the IDX - this could be different to the values in the IFO!

gabest
1st May 2003, 18:41
Yusaku and me have just found a bug in vsfilter. If the custom colors: ... line contains a 1 anywhere then it turns them on. This can be a reason for weird colors.

Makurosu
7th July 2003, 01:01
I've been having trouble with the forced subtitles in Dances With Wolves (special edition). They were coming out with a faint blue outline, and I haven't worked with subtitles enough to know what the defaults should be, so that I could reset them in Vobsub. Gabest's reply gave me the clue I needed, though. Here's the offending line in my .idx file:

custom colors: OFF, tridx: 0001, colors: 000007, 06e3f4, d67ad7, d9079c

I changed "tridx: 0001" to "tridx: 0000" and the subtitles appeared normally. Thanks gabest!

LigH
7th July 2003, 06:45
But this value "tridx" describes the "transparency index", so which colors have to be transparent. Setting everything to "0" would not quite be a solution, because it would set the whole subtitle to an opaque block. Therefore I hope that the developers will fix it correctly. Wish you success!

Makurosu
7th July 2003, 15:41
It looks like you're right. When I went to do disc 2 last night, I ran into the same problem which was not fixed by changing the values to 0. I loaded my .idx back into Vobsub, exited with no changes, processed disc 2 again with Gordian Knot, and the subtitles were fine. So, it looks like something else is going on.

Lighto
7th April 2011, 17:03
Sorry to bring this 8 years old thread up again but is there any proper solution to the problem?
So far I could only get my .idx+.sub in the correct subtitle colour if I extract it using MakeMKV.