PDA

View Full Version : Capturing Xbox/Gamecube 480p footage

easy2Bcheesy
11th April 2003, 20:36
Hi...

Both the Xbox and the Gamecube video games machines are capable of outputting 640x480 progressive scan images for use on HDTV. It pumps out the signal through Y Cr Cb cables, and I think it produces 60 frames per second. It's pretty much a VGA style signal, because I have an Xbox VGA box that uses this signal.

I'm looking for a system to capture AVI movies at the full resolution and keeping the same frame rate.

Can any one recommend a system? Also, would it be fairly simple to set up an AviSynth/VirtualDub script that would enable conversion of these files into 29.97fps interlaced files that could be dumped onto DV tape/DVD?

Please let me know your thoughts!

FreQi
12th April 2003, 20:34
I thought I saw a capture card that had the HDTV RGB inputs several months ago, but for the life of me I cannot find it again. So I can't really help you there.

As far as turning the video to 29.97fps, you'll really have to wait until you can capture the video. Then you'll know if the game is actually being rendered at 60fps, or if it's just being showed at that rate. If it's native 60fps, you probably won't be able to convert it down and get smooth motion just because each frame has different information. Most 29.97 signals I've seen are native 24fps that has some of it's frames duplicated in order to step up to 29.97 (Telecine). The material you're trying to get might have uniqe information in each frame, so you couldn't just cut them out. But you won't know until you try I guess.

Entropy512
15th April 2003, 18:04
Originally posted by easy2Bcheesy
Hi...

Both the Xbox and the Gamecube video games machines are capable of outputting 640x480 progressive scan images for use on HDTV. It pumps out the signal through Y Cr Cb cables, and I think it produces 60 frames per second. It's pretty much a VGA style signal, because I have an Xbox VGA box that uses this signal.

I'm looking for a system to capture AVI movies at the full resolution and keeping the same frame rate.

Can any one recommend a system? Also, would it be fairly simple to set up an AviSynth/VirtualDub script that would enable conversion of these files into 29.97fps interlaced files that could be dumped onto DV tape/DVD?

Please let me know your thoughts!
If your target format is 480i, why not just use the S-Video connection and capture at 480i?

easy2Bcheesy
18th April 2003, 13:15
I have two objectives here:

1. To capture still screen shots at 640x480 at the highest possible quality in an AVI format
2. To output this footage onto DVD

Now I'm willing to accept that there isn't an "all in one" solution here, that I'll have to play the games through once for the stills, then again for the footage.

But I really do need a device capable of capturing footage at 480p and letting me pick out the shots I want. I could capture at 480i, but then I'd have to deinterlace the footage, and lose half the detail :(