PDA

View Full Version : Encoding episodes with wierd .ifo and authoring??

chipzoller
2nd April 2003, 04:23
Hi all,

First, thank you all in advance for helping me with this. I've recieved & given some great help on Doom9's boards and I'm confident with all the knowledgable persons out there, someone can shed some light on this subject.

Now, to the point...

I'm attempting to encode a chinese 3 DVD set by the name of "The Violinist of Hameln" that comes with Japanese language track and 2 subtitles (Chinese and English, in that order).

I am positive that I have the necessary files and setup to do this as I've tested it out with the Chinese language subtitles as well as other movies that contain subtitles and it works out just fine.

I shall use the guide as a reference here as it is documented better and works just fine:

In VobSub, I select the .ifo file (I wish to permamently encode subtitles and not have the switch on and off) for making the subtitle file...now, normally where VobSub will identify AND position all known and identify-albe subtitle streams to the right of the box there is nothing...to the left there are as many "Not Detected" subtitles as there are chapters of the given disc. Only 1 (and thats number '01') is listed as "Unknown." I know for a fact that '00' is English and that '01' is Chinese. I can try it with '01' and split it up and put that in the script and it will come out fine with Chinese subtitles, but when I try and use '00' (English) at the end of the encoding process, I see nothing. I have examined the file that VobSub produces and there IS data there as I have run them through a text identification program to verify this.

What could be the problem here?
Has anyone experienced this on cheaper or less 'professional' DVDs?
Any experimental steps I can take to make sure I haven't made a simple error?

Thanks very much,

Chip

gabest
3rd April 2003, 16:32
Try to add all language ids to the right side and see which one of them changes to "Unknown" after the ripping. Those should contain usable subpictures even if the ifo didn't list them as subtitle valid streams.but when I try and use '00' (English) at the end of the encoding process, I see nothing.Where can't you see nothing? Are there timestamp: ... lines for the english section in the idx? Was the palette recognized correctly? (try custom colors and tranparencies)

chipzoller
3rd April 2003, 18:44
Ok,

Yes, there are time stamps so I know that there are subpictures there.
Everything looks good. The color and position of the subs should be ok since they mimic the Chinese and those work.

Chip

chipzoller
3rd April 2003, 20:47
Ok,

I think I figured it out. They are in there now but out of sync. Since I'm not familiar with re-sync methods I'm not quite sure how to do it. I don't suppose you can resync them once the .avi has already been encoded? You must re-sync the sub title file (which one? the .idx or the .sub) and then re-encode it with the proper time stamps.

Do you offer any guides on how to re-sync subtitles using your software, Gabest?

Chip