PDA

View Full Version : DirectVobSub and dynamic effects

Le Furet
31st March 2003, 23:53
I noticed recently that Vobsub didn't seem to render dynamic effects in .ass scripts, such as \move \fad or \be.

I was wondering if it was normal, and asked the question on a french forum. I was answered that that was normal, and that Direct vobsub didn't handle those because of the large amount of ressources it would need.

I'm quite confused with that, I don't see why it would use lots of ressources.

Could someone confirm that and develop a bit please ? Are there plans to add these effects in future versions of DirectVobsub ?

Aiorus
1st April 2003, 09:42
well, as far as I know, they are supported, but sometimes the effects won't show because it's heavy on the machine. But they are supported.

Le Furet
1st April 2003, 09:56
Very strange, I never saw them... My machine is a Athlon XP2000, 256 Mb RAM... I don't think it's too heavy for it. I'm using Vobsub 2.22. I will try a more recent version. I'm confused (see : :confused: ) ^^

Liisachan
1st April 2003, 10:30
In my experience, cpu-intensive effects like Karaoke in SSA/ASS dont go smoothly if your cpu is not fast enough (<1GHz),
while they are fine in a faster machine.

I may be wrong, but if your PC is fast enough, will you try this?

- 1 Open DirectVobSub Properties Dialog box,
- 2 Go to Misc tab,
- 3 Uncheck "Pre-buffer subpictures"

This might solve your problem, enforcing vobsub to re-calculate and redraw subpictures in each frame, tho your cpu will be loaded more :)

lamer_de
1st April 2003, 14:26
unchecking pre-buffer subtitle did the trick for me. Thanks, I always thought Vobsub wouldn't be able to display karaoke.

CU,
lamer_de

Le Furet
1st April 2003, 14:45
Idem for me !

Thanks a lot, Liisachan
:D

Liisachan
2nd April 2003, 12:01
my pleasure:)

and let me note that TCMP + USF is also quite promising for dynamic effects such as Karaoke, tho they are still beta now.
- The Core Media Player (TCMP) http://www.corecoded.com/
- Universal Subtitle Format (USF) http://christophe.paris.free.fr/usf/

As you may know, Le Furet, USF is being developed by French ppl ;)

If the movie was in 24fps, directVobSub would update subpictures 24 times par sec at most (if i m not wrong); This means, you could not use super duper effects that require to redraw subpictures say 100 times par sec.

TCMP seems to be able to handle sub stream in USF independently of the frame rate of the video stream. So, even if the video was in 2 fps, the following effect in USF would work fine in TCMP:
<karaoke><k t="500"/>KARAOKE!!!</karaoke>

On the other hand, {\K500}KARAOKE!!! in SSA would be meaningless if the movie was in 2 fps, because DirectVobSub would update subpictures only 2 times par sec in this case.

I also found that Karaoke in USF is less CPU-intensive than one in SSA, when replayed in TCMP. (Media Player Classic too supports USF subs nicely tho.)

(In other words, dynamic effects in USF works fine in the default TCMP settings--you dont have to tell the renderer to stop pre-buffering).