PDA

View Full Version : Subtitle synchronization issue (24 -->25fps)

augi
29th March 2003, 12:47
I have a movie that is 24 fps. The subtitles I downloaded where in .srt format. As you probably know, .srt files created with Subrip contain only time information for each subtitle. They don't say in which frame a subtitle is played, but in which second. When I started watching the movie, I noticed that the subtitles where progressively getting out of synch. The subtitles where played before the actor had spoken.

I fixed the subtitles. I used a subtitles convertor program and changed the fps to 25 fps. BUT: If had chosen to save the re-calculated file in .srt format, the timing wouldn't change. I accidently saved in MicroDVD format and it worked! Subrip format uses time to synchronize the subtitles. MicroDVD uses frames! So , any change in FPS, doesn't affect the Subrip format as the time a subtitle is played is always the same.
On the other hand, the frame a subtitle is played is different and depends on the framerate. But I am still confused:
How could Subrip (.srt file) mess up the timing , as it uses time oriented synchronization?? My movie could be 5 fps or 205 fps, but the time (in seconds) that each subtitle is played is always the same... Anyone has any ideas?

ppera2
29th March 2003, 17:20
Beginner post. 25 fps runs faster than 24 fps, so times are shorter (movie runs 4% shorter time).

You can of course change srt subs also to different framerate. There is lot of programs for that....