PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem With Displaying The Subs...

Nealhon
25th March 2003, 21:49
Well, first of all I am encoding some Yu-Gi-Oh DVD's that are subbed and on this one episode, about 12 minutes into it, the subtitles get way off, and keep getting worse until the episode is finished... So what I did was manually listened to the audio and matched up the subs, which took me forever :\ and then when I went to add the .srt into VirtualDubMod and saved it, only about 1/2 of the subtitles that I changed the timing on come up on the video when I watch it?! Any help on this would make me happy... lol

entropy
26th March 2003, 04:30
Maybe it's your script. Upload the script somewhere where we can look at it. Also, try converting your .srt to .ssa with VobSub and try loading that into VDub.

Nealhon
2nd April 2003, 01:49
Sorry it took me so long to reply... anyhoo I uploaded the file here

http://www.angelfire.com/oz/yugiohsubfile/Subs_-_Final_Timing.srt

also... since I am doing this in OGM, .ssa isn't supported to my knowledge.

Thanks,

Nealhon

Blankman
2nd April 2003, 22:19
Originally posted by Nealhon
Well, first of all I am encoding some Yu-Gi-Oh DVD's that are subbed and on this one episode, about 12 minutes into it, the subtitles get way off, and keep getting worse until the episode is finished... So what I did was manually listened to the audio and matched up the subs, which took me forever :\ and then when I went to add the .srt into VirtualDubMod and saved it, only about 1/2 of the subtitles that I changed the timing on come up on the video when I watch it?! Any help on this would make me happy... lol

You didn't mention what you used to extract the subtitles or how you extracted the subtitles.

I use VobSub Configure to extract subtitles, and SubResync to adjust the delay and convert to .SRT. And although in the past I have run into a number of anime DVDs that have unusual subtitle streams that gave me problems with timing, I found a way to get around the problems. The technique I use have been working on any DVD that displays subtitles correctly on a DVD Player.

I discovered on a number of DVDs, the subtitles for an episode were identified with a different set of cells that the video. For example, if the video stream for episode 1 may be found in cells 11-15, the sustitle stream identified itself in cells 12-16.

I have observed that the subtitles are actually contained in cells 11-15, but are being mis-identified. I get around this problem and extract the subtitles with the right timing by doing the following:

1) I extract cells 11-15 and create an IFO and VOB using DVD Decrypter.

2) I use the new IFO to create an initial .idx and .sub using VobSub Configure. On the selection dialog, I use the default setting to select all cells.

3) I use SubResync to adjust the time on the first subtitle to match the delay value reported in VTS Steam Information. I save the adjusted .sub and .idx using a new name. Then I save in .srt format. After this I do spell and grammar checking, etc.

4) I encode my .AVI file and .OGG files.

5) I use SubMux to combine the .AVI, .OGG, and .SRT files.

And as a last resort, I would try extracting cell individually, transcoding each cell as a seperate project, and then merging the results together.

Normally for an episode spread over 5 cells, I prefer to create 4 projects: Project 1 = cell 1 (Opening Credits); Project 2 = cells 4 & 5 (Closing Credits and Preview); Project 3 = cells 2 (Part 1); Project 3 = cell 3 (Part 2). And I have never run into any subtitle timing problems using the technique I described above.

Nealhon
3rd April 2003, 17:47
Well, I think we have a little bit of differences here... the actual subs on the DVD are like this... like when I watch it on a DVD player the subs got off time about 12 minutes into it so I manually corrected them and only about a half of the subs I corrected on the .srt will play on the video

Nealhon
3rd April 2003, 17:53
Oh, and to answer what I used to rip the subs, I used SubRip.

Blankman
3rd April 2003, 18:12
Originally posted by Nealhon
Well, I think we have a little bit of differences here... the actual subs on the DVD are like this... like when I watch it on a DVD player the subs got off time about 12 minutes into it so I manually corrected them and only about a half of the subs I corrected on the .srt will play on the video

Hmm... 12 minutes would be long enough for an opening and half of an episode up to the eyecatch. Does the time reset to 0 at the start of the second half of the episode?

Nealhon
3rd April 2003, 18:35
No, about 12 minutes into it, the subtitles get about 4 seconds off, than I'd say on average every minute they get another 2-3 seconds off.

Nealhon
3rd April 2003, 19:28
Hmm, I found my problem :D what it was is when I was changing the timing around... I messed up on 2 parts. The 1st one I put this

00:16:54:848 --> 00:16:58,106

So I changed it to 00:16:54,848 and it worked. The 2nd one I had one ending on 52,652 and the next one started at 51,812 so I changed that around and now everything is all good :p so it was just a little bit of errors I did that I didn't notice the 1st time I went over the subs... O well at least its working now.

Thanks for the help though,

Nealhon