PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to replace subtitles with another language?!! please help

pafkosta
22nd March 2003, 01:27
i have a film with english subtitles only. I want to include subtitles with my one language. Can anyone tell me how can this be done. Is there any way to replace the english subtitles with another language. Please help. tks

WyldeF1r3
22nd March 2003, 15:28
You need to give a little more information about what you want to do. Is this a DVD you have ripped or a movie? Are the subs hardburned into the picture or a separate file? Are they in bmp form or text? Do you want the final output in text or bmp form?

Safely I can say that, if you're ripping a DVD and it only has an english subtitle track, the only way to change the subtitles is to translate them from english to your language yourself, then turn that script into a text or bmp sub file to be useable for the movie. If the subs are hardburned into the picture there is no way.

codecmax
19th April 2003, 15:40
There are some sites that provide downloads of subtitles. They might have one in German for the film you are working with. If not, then well, you have to do it yourself.

kaitsuburi
20th April 2003, 03:44
I am thinking about doing something similar, although I haven't had the time to sit down and do the actual translation yet ...

If you are ripping from a DVD with subtitles, you are at an advantage, because with the Vobsub .idx/.sub files you already have the timings. All you need to do is convert the subs into a text compatible file (I think .ssa format would work well), then replace the text with your translation. Finally you can burn the subs using Vobsub and the textsub(...) command using the .ssa file. I am not sure whether you can convert back into .idx/.sub file and use the subtitles as "external", i.e. without burning them in but through Direct VobSub, but my guess is no.

Good luck!

-kaitsuburi

codecmax
20th April 2003, 15:17
I found a program called subtitle translator. It does help to translate English but it helps you to do it by yourself in a simplied fashion.