PDA

View Full Version : Long lasting, Quality DVD-R media

BiggaBug
20th March 2003, 18:04
ive been buying Ritek DVD-R's for some time now, but ive been also hearing that these "silver top" dvd-r's wont last long. but ive also read that they are the best compatability-wise. so far ive burned 100 and only 2 coasters, and they play great. but how long will they stay alive?
if there is a better brand that is of more quality and would "sustain" more time/usage please let me know!

gooki
20th March 2003, 19:49
Tayio Yuden

BiggaBug
20th March 2003, 20:58
are they also silver top dvd-r's?
do they come in gold-top?
is gold-top better overall?

gooki
20th March 2003, 22:19
Tayio Yuden's are silver toped.

As far as I am aware gold top does not reflect in anyway the discs quality (for CDR's gold toedp discs was never any better, so i doubt it's any different for DVD-R).

The only gold top DVD-R I've come across are my 4.7GB DVD-R Authoring discs.

thxtof
21st March 2003, 01:11
Personnaly I use TDK or Verbatim, they have a 100 years lifespan :)

... And you can tell the superior quality just by looking at the media... worth the extra $ :cool:

idbirch2
21st March 2003, 02:35
Another vote for Verbatims here - they play great in stand-alones and consoles.

I used to use Datasafe Gen4(RitekG03)for PS2 games but they stop booting after about 3-4 months - less if you play the game alot.

Verbs just go and go - can get em for £1.50 each at the moment from cd-rmedia.co.uk at the moment

atreides93
21st March 2003, 09:57
where can you get taiyo yudens these days???

BiggaBug
21st March 2003, 10:56
i believe you can get the youden's and riteks at www.rima.com

spruceland
21st March 2003, 11:58
From my readings during the past 2 years, Verbatims show up as #1, #2 Fuji, TDK is far behind. Riteks are the best generic media. The Taiyos make good cd-rs and have developed an excellent rep. I believe they make Fuji dvd-rs. Good luck. I would personally wait/look for the new TDK armor dvd-rs which are 100x more scratch resistant than typical dvd-rs; they come out this month in the U.S. and according to them, they will only cost a few cent more. I'm guessing $3.75 each

andyg
21st March 2003, 16:15
"Silver top" DVDs......You just can't make a general statement about all of the DVDs.
What makes a difference is the Dye used to make the DVD or CD. Learn more about it here:

http://www.copydisks.com/cdr_dye_explained.htm

The other DVD that's on the top of the list is Maxell too.

klona
21st March 2003, 17:10
Nice article on Dye. Does anyone know about one specially focussed on DVD-/+ R ? and RW ?

andyg
21st March 2003, 17:33
I don't recall for sure but I think that most of the search returns on Dye talks about CD-R ..... it's been a while since I was looking for this myself. There is a very good article on DVD media that I've found, check out this thread if You haven't seen this before:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=45688&highlight=magazine

If I'll recall anything more on Dye types for DVD I'll post it again.

P.S. But this link might be what You're looking for... .

andyg
21st March 2003, 17:41
"Does anyone know about one specially focussed on DVD-/+ R ? and RW ?"

Yes, this link is what You're looking for. Got to the link in the post above.

klona
21st March 2003, 18:17
Thanks a lot. I effectivly did not see your post before.
Great article.

Just to finish, as you seems to be a library :-) do you know an article about DVD-R & DVD+R technologies differences ?

alexnoe
21st March 2003, 23:43
In the meantime, ECMA-337 and ECMA-338 have been released and describe the DVD+ and DVD- specs

andyg
24th March 2003, 13:41
"Just to finish, as you seems to be a library...."

... I wish τΏτ
I just did my own research before purchasing the DVD burner and media for it. Yahoo search is a great searching engine. Just kept typing different search words until I found what I was looking for.

I never did care if it was "-" or "+" as long as it was the most compatable, plus the cost of the media at that time.

Seems like Alexnoe has that answer for You.

P.S. Check this out for a simple compare chart:
http://verbatim.com/products/images/dvd_format_comp.pdf

andyg
27th March 2003, 16:42
".....about DVD-R & DVD+R technologies differences ...."

A simple explanation can be found here:

<http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/articles.php?article_id=17&mode=print>

A sample from this article:

"Raw burning speed is not the only factor when it comes to performance though. DVD+RW design ensures shorter lead-in and lead-out times - this will mean it takes shorter to finalise than DVD-RW media. Formatting for DVD-RM or DVD+RW media can be done on-the-fly, although some older software for DVD-RW may not support this feature.

CLV and CAV Burning :

There are also two different recording methods, CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) and CAV (Constant Angular Velocity). CLV is mainly used in streaming video applications where high transfer speed is required. CAV has better random access times, and hence better for computer storage/applications.

DVD-R/RW uses CLV, which makes them good for DVD-Video applications. DVD+R/RW can use both CLV and CAV.

DVD-RAM uses Zoned CLV, which is a combination of CLV and CAV and similar to how a hard-disk works."

Andy

alexnoe
27th March 2003, 16:46
Not one single DVD+RW drive supports CAV mode so far. It exists in the DVD+RW specs, but it is no advantage at the moment.

Even if it were implemented in a drive, it would not be an advantage either: There is no working packet writing software for random access available so far. All of them screw your discs sooner or later (due to serious bugs)

andyg
27th March 2003, 17:00
So in this case I'm not sure what makes the "-" & "+" different... .

Now, this is the real one " you seems to be a library" !!!
Danke!

alexnoe
27th March 2003, 17:27
At the moment, the user does not notice any differences, except for media price, higher rewrite speeds of dvd+rw (2.4x instead of 2x), and some players which don't read the one, or the other format.

On the technical level: dvd-rw uses "pre-land" pits for synchronisation (only when writing!). These cause signals additionally to the data signal. This signal shall have an amplitude of 90% of the data signal and shall have a phase shift of -pi/2 to it.

These pre land pits allow very exact adressing. However, if they are pressed badly (which can be the case on cheap crappy discs), not even burn-proof works...

DVD+RW uses a much higher frequency for its wobble modulation (this wobble is placed at the borders of the pregroove) and works without these pre-land pits.

There is more of this technical stuff (which I would have to look up and read more into), but it's actually not the least bit interesting for the average user...

andyg
27th March 2003, 17:40
For an end user that's as much as I need to know...... and for the maker, just enough to call it a "New Thing" and bypass the royalty fees... .
Thanks.