PDA

View Full Version : muxing .ssa .ogg and xvid together ?

shamaz
18th March 2003, 11:21
Well, I'd like to know if it is possible.
Apparently subtitles in ssa format don't work well with ogm... So you have to use .srt (and I do prefer ssa :angry: ).
I read that it is possible to mux ssa into avi. Cool! But I can't find a way to mux .ogg into .avi :( (submux only accepts .wma or .wav...).
Any ideas ?

Liisachan
18th March 2003, 16:02
I believe you ll be able to do that in the near future,
with a new container called MKV, which will support most of Audio/Video Codecs plus SRT/SSA/ASS/USF etc.
Maybe you ll be able to do that also with the new "official" OGG Container.

But, as for now, if you really want to "mux" XviD+Ogg Vorbis+SSA,
I m afraid you have to use so-called hardsub, or permanent sub,
which is not switchable like a softsub (SRT sub) embedded in OGM...

of course you can have an SSA sub in XviD video, using a subbing fileter for VirtualDub, and then you can mux that (subbed) video and Vorbis Audio to make an OGM file...I mean, if you wouldnt mind making the sub permanent.

This wouldnt be very cool, since the beauty of the sub in OGM is that it s switchable (you can turn it off, you can change font size, color etc.)

but, if you want to do what you cannot with SRT, you will probably use SSA or ASS, and then, you cannot soft-mux your sub...at least in today's OGM. There are some alternative options: if you dont hate DirectVobSub (ie sub in an outer file), you can surely "runtime-mux" XviD+Vorbis+SSA :)

shamaz
18th March 2003, 18:26
I believe you ll be able to do that in the near future, with a new container called MKV, which will support most of Audio/Video Codecs plus SRT/SSA/ASS/USF etc. Maybe you ll be able to do that also with the new "official" OGG Container.

uh (T_T). When will these containers be available ?
I think I'll convert my .ogg in .wma (I hope this won't alter the sound too much). And then mux everything in an avi... But I've problems to make wma v9 files (dunno why...). BTW is there a program like submux that supports mp3s ??
Maybe I'll use srt and make an ogm... (T_T)

Does anybody have a better idea ???

Liisachan
19th March 2003, 08:43
Originally posted by shamaz
uh (T_T). When will these containers be available ?

Sometime this year, I guess...
MKV (Matroska Video) Project Page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/matroska
OGG Project Page:
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/
USF Page:
http://usf.corecodec.org

Since "VirtualDubMKV" is already in alpha status, a public beta should be out very soon. As for the new Ogg Media, the genius who created OGM was reported to join the xiph team, I suppose we can use the new OGG Media before long (maybe when Ogg Theora Codec is ready)
Both projects seem to be great. The day will come when you can soft-mux your SSAs in those new containers...

Maybe I'll use srt and make an ogm... (T_T)
Does anybody have a better idea ???
i think SRT embedded in OGM is the best way that is possible now,
but there might be someone who knows better...

tho srt is not so "rich" as ssa, still you could use <i>, some positioning hacks, and even double-byte characters in SRT in OGM.:)

Liisachan
23rd March 2003, 08:55
if you really need to use ssa,
how about using cbr mp3 instead of ogg vorbis?

1) make AVI with XviD video + CBR mp3
2) mux that AVI and your SSA by Submux...

i guess "mp3 instead of vorbis" might be better than "SRT instead of SSA":)