PDA

View Full Version : Unable to use Vobsub to extract subtitles. Weird!

Osfer
17th March 2003, 18:16
The last few rips I've done have been of foreign films; two French, one Japanese and I've run into a problem I haven't encountered before: I can't extract Vobsub subtitles!

I do everything as normal (having extracted subtitles plenty of times in the past), using the latest version of GordianKnot. I rip the VOBs to the hard disk with DVDDecrypter, and fire up VobSub. I point it to the .ifo that DVDDecrypter ripped, after which it prompts me to select a destination dir. Usually, I'm then prompted to select the appropriate subtitle stream, however, in my case this doesn't hhappen. The windows vanish and I'm left with the standard VobSub configuration window, with no option but to click 'open' again in which case all this repeats itself.

Now, I happen to *know* that there's a subtitle stream in there, definitely this last time because I ripped the DVD without stream selection (which is what I usually use) to ensure that nothing went wrong with the various streams.

Furthermore, I ripped the subtitles via SubRip without any problems, and while the resulting .srt file is perfect and properly named and, when I play the AVI, it is recognised by the DVobSub plugin, the subtitles do not actually appear on screen. I've tried many options -- changing the font, altering the position on screen, renaming the file, opening it manually -- it simply will not open.

Any ideas on these two points? (it should be noted that I just reinstalled my system from scratch this afternoon and continue to have these problems)

Blankman
19th March 2003, 19:34
The windows vanish and I'm left with the standard VobSub configuration window, with no option but to click 'open' again in which case all this repeats itself.

Make sure you do not have any stray .idx or .sub files with the same filename prefix as the .ifo file in the folder. If so, either delete them or move them to a different folder.

Osfer
30th March 2003, 19:00
Yeah, that got me the first few times I used subs. Nowadays, though, I always rip the subs to a new, empty directory, as in this case, so that wasn't it.

I've heard that having the OggDS subtitle filter installed interferes with VobSub, but I uninstalled it and still get this problem...

Blankman
2nd April 2003, 22:27
Originally posted by Osfer
Yeah, that got me the first few times I used subs. Nowadays, though, I always rip the subs to a new, empty directory, as in this case, so that wasn't it.

I've heard that having the OggDS subtitle filter installed interferes with VobSub, but I uninstalled it and still get this problem...

Another percularity I have found with VobSub is that it only read VOBs named using the convention VTS_##_#.VOB when you select an IFO named VTS_##_0.IFO. This initially gave me problem when I started splitting VOBs by chapter with DVD Decryptor. But knowing this, I simply rename the extracted files from VTS_##_CHAPTER_##_#.VOB to VTS_##_#.VOB, and VobSub works happily again.

Osfer
3rd April 2003, 11:13
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if it works!