PDA

View Full Version : Don't know how to do an effect with ASS

Le Furet
13th March 2003, 22:49
Hello.

I'm trying to achieve a special effect on credits of the film I'm subbing, which would look like that :
http://fterraza.free.fr/exemple.avi

I've looked on files in Vobsub's doc directory about ass format (which I've never used before), i thought it could be a combination of \fad and \be (blur edges), but \be doesn't seem to do anything.

I've looked for examples of ass scripts on the net and this forum, but I let you imagine what kind of documents you find when you type "ass" in a search engine ^^.

If you could provide me with scripts that can achieve effects of more or less this kind, or even just with example scripts (I learn better from examples), I'd be very grateful.

WyldeF1r3
14th March 2003, 08:18
in the docs folder there are 2 documents ass-quickref.txt and ass-specs.doc. Those explain how to use the special formatting tages inside an SSA4.0x script (.ssa). In order to make them work, you need to A) enclose them in curvy brackets {\fad(100,300)} and you need to load the .ssa file into virtualdub or nandub with the textsub.vdf for the functions to be recognized. All functions that work are in the ass-quickref.txt, the explenation on their parameters and syntax is explained in more detail of index A in the ass-specs.doc

Le Furet
14th March 2003, 09:45
Thank you, but I know these docs and I can read. I also know how to use a ass file. If I post a thread, that's because those docs didn't help.

So, my apologies but I insist. If there are .ass coders (a.k.a. fansubbers, I see more and more complicated effects in fansubs nowadays), please download the avi above (it's very small, 150 kbs), look at it, and if you can give me a hint on how to achieve this, It would be cheerful.

Thanks in advance...

WyldeF1r3
14th March 2003, 12:00
I downloaded the avi, and it's so small and blurry i can't even make out what's going on. I just see some blurry white things (which I assume are text) doing what looks like a diagonal stretch and fading in and out.

If it's SUPPOSED to look and move diagonal, to do somethin that looks like that you're probably going to need commands like \fr<x/y/z> \i \fsc<x/y><%> \fad(t1,t2) and \t(t1,t1,a,\modifier).

gabest
14th March 2003, 15:14
There is no such effect in ass. I think this is a gaussian blur with 10-20 pixel radius applied several times and fadded out. {\be} is only blurring with the basic 3x3 matrix.

WyldeF1r3
14th March 2003, 16:13
you could probably get close to mimicing this with a mess of clips and transparencies with different font scale values, take alot of time, and alot of SSA lines. easier to do it in something like adobe premiere or after effects.

Le Furet
14th March 2003, 19:19
Thank you for answers ^^

@ WyldeF1r3 : I you look at the avi without resizing, all is clear. It's a piece of credits in a japanese anime, taken directly from the DVD, not resized just cropped. But if you go to "full screen", it's harder to understand, of course ^^

HardEdge
21st March 2003, 05:18
Just wondering about .ass in general...is there any easy way to deal with vertical text?

gabest
21st March 2003, 05:24
No... You could use those @ fonts and rotate them by 90 degrees, or add \N everywhere.

HardEdge
21st March 2003, 06:18
I was looking at the @fonts, but they don't seem to appear rotated like most for some reason.

HardEdge
21st March 2003, 06:29
Yeah @fonts seem not to work. I didn't even have \N working right for a while. I'll have to use \h for spaces for some reason. Thanks for the help though.

gabest
21st March 2003, 06:32
They can be left unchanged if you still trying to use normal latin letters with such a font set. Usually, only those are rotated which are typical to that set, mostly asian.