PDA

View Full Version : myhd audio playback...

Ta1eNt
13th March 2003, 05:32
i've been having this problem with my myhd card ever since i got it...i play a .ts/.tp hdtv stream that i recorded or downloaded and the audio seems to skip and studder every few seconds. the signal strength when capping is 100% too. its really annonying especially when your trying to watch a recorded episode. does any know of fix for this? or do i have a defective myhd card?

trbarry
13th March 2003, 17:06
If possible send your audio direct out SPDIF to a receiver, or at least make sure nothing else is running at the time. Audio decode across the PCI bus is taxing.

But also see this avs thread. (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219158&highlight=myhd+stuttering)

BTW, I have never used a MyHD so I'm just quoting what I've read and my experience with other PCHD cards.

- Tom

Enrico Ng
27th December 2003, 03:46
Did you ever fix this problem?

I am noticing the same problem.

And this is when I do the digital transport saving

Enrico Ng
30th December 2003, 09:41
I was wondering. with a regular TV capture card, I am able to capture uncompressed video with no problem. 18mb/sec
I do not have any problems with audio.

Yet when I capture the HDTV transport stream its only like 2mb/sec and I hear skipping.

I would think that if my system can support 18mb/sec, there would be no problem with 2mb/sec

Of course I assume the two processes are very different, but still.
Is there some important factor that I am missing here?

jrmann1999
31st December 2003, 18:14
Are you decompressing your audio(WAV) or using the SPDIF out? If you read the thread trbarry linked into you'll see that using WAV output you're stressing your PCI bus already by throwing a volume of sound data across it to the soundcard. If you try on top of that to record a show(pushing even more data across the PCI bus to the HD controller) you'll just make things worse. Your solution might be to turn off WAV and turn on SPDIF while recording the show. This won't let you watch the program if you need WAV decoding, but it'll definately allow your PCI bandwidth to be large enough to record the show to watch later.

Enrico Ng
31st December 2003, 18:56
Originally posted by jrmann1999
Are you decompressing your audio(WAV) or using the SPDIF out? If you read the thread trbarry linked into you'll see that using WAV output you're stressing your PCI bus already by throwing a volume of sound data across it to the soundcard. If you try on top of that to record a show(pushing even more data across the PCI bus to the HD controller) you'll just make things worse. Your solution might be to turn off WAV and turn on SPDIF while recording the show. This won't let you watch the program if you need WAV decoding, but it'll definately allow your PCI bandwidth to be large enough to record the show to watch later.
yes I read that but I was confused because I thought that when I used a regular capture card, even more data was pushed through the PCI bus to the HD controller since my capture file is like 18MB/sec
and I never have any problems with that.

jrmann1999
31st December 2003, 20:18
Yes, but an average HDTV encode is 15MB/s plus adding in the uncompressed AC3->WAV going across the PCI bus plus any other overhead you might be encountering. There's also a bit of computation going on in the WAV decode process as afaik it's a software decode.

I can't do damn near anything while my HDTV shows are recording for fear of having lag drop in some feed issues in the recorded show.

Enrico Ng
1st January 2004, 00:29
Originally posted by jrmann1999
Yes, but an average HDTV encode is 15MB/s plus adding in the uncompressed AC3->WAV going across the PCI bus plus any other overhead you might be encountering. There's also a bit of computation going on in the WAV decode process as afaik it's a software decode.

I can't do damn near anything while my HDTV shows are recording for fear of having lag drop in some feed issues in the recorded show.

AH, makes much more sense.

ok, I'll try some longer term captures and see if it fixes the problem

Thanks