PDA

View Full Version : SRT: Subs that appear top and bottom.

Trip Machine
1st March 2003, 20:02
I'm using OGM with SRT's and cant figure how to make certain subs go to the top of the screen and leave others at the bottom. The subs keep defaulting back to the bottom. Is there no way to edit the srt file with html tags so the subs play at a specific location on the screen? I use DirectVobSub to playback.

Also what's the best way to handle when multiple people are speaking at once in a srt text? How do you denote the first speaker from the second speaker from the ambience (for closed captioning ie: "Tires screeching")?

WyldeF1r3
2nd March 2003, 09:13
There is no easy way to make subs appear at the top and the bottom of the screen. Html tags beyond <i> don't seem to work consistently; and to this day I can't get <font color=xxxxx> to work despite what Tobias' site says (I've tried multiple versions of subtitds with varying combinations of dvobsub).

The only way I've found to make it work (the positioning of the subs that is) is to treat the srt file as if it was a preformatted ( <pre> </pre> ) html document and do this

00:00:00.00 - 00:00:05.00
Hello.

How are you?

<these are not actually the correct number of spaces, but it'll be a good # of them to make text that far apart>

this worked for me on a recent ogm file I made. Think I was using subtitds1400 and DVobSub2.23. If there is a line you want at the top with no one else speaking at the same moment the top text needs an anchor or it will default to bottom. Any character which has a visible image works (I use a . as my anchor since it's the smallest char i could find). (conversely you can position subs to the left and the right of default center if you use an anchor character)

when multiple people speak on a screen (since i haven't gotten <font> tags to work with softsubbing) you can italicize one of the 2 dialogues, you can do the preformatted srt trick inserting anchors if you need to (either one at the top of the screen one at the bottom, or just a space or two apart). To denote speaker you can put the person who talks first (or the longest) on the bottom, or put a charcter in front of it " -- " maybe, I've seen that done in DVDs sometimes. For closed captions you might want to use *...* , (...) , or [...]

I've been working on expanding the freedom of softsubs since I got into it, so hopefully you'll find one of those ideas useful; even though they're not ideal solutions

regards
~wylde

Trip Machine
4th March 2003, 22:24
Cool. Thanks for the help. It was very concise and you explained a lot.

I just have one question: What do you mean by preformatted html document? I put the <pre></pre> tags like you mentioned but they kept popping up in the video so I don't know what they do.

WyldeF1r3
5th March 2003, 05:31
In an html document when you place text betweent the <pre></pre> tags this is known as "preformatted" it displays as some monospaced type. In a preformatted html document what you type is what is displayed character for character (ie carriage returns act as newline's without having to us the <p> or <br> tag, tab functions as normal, and you don't need "& nbsp;" to display an extra spacebar press, etc...). Srt behaves this same way (don't include the <pre> tags), except that you need an anchor character to make the formatting work

Hello.

How are you?

will display "hello" at the top of the screen

Hello.

00:00:01.00 - 00:00:06.00
How are you?

will not have hello placed at the top of the screen, it will default to the bottom because it has no anchor. (no html tags needed, just anchor text)

[edit]

you can uses the italics tags

"<i> </i>" (must include both)

this will also work as an anchor, so you don't need a visible character