PDA

View Full Version : Problems with perm subs. Stretched?

tref
1st March 2003, 09:26
Hi Guys.

I will start by saying that I have reviewed all FAQs, tutorials, and of course went through all posts in this forum.

If my question however was answered before, I apologize beforehand for wasting your time. I would greatly appreciate if someone could just post a link to such discission, as it would suffice for me.

I have successfully converted DivX to SVCD format (DVD2SVCD with TMPGenc encoder), and added permanent subtitles (using VoxSub plugin) as I am subbing only japaneese movies, and don't care for selectable subtitles.

My problem is the following:

After adding permanent subtitles to SVCD using the following modifications to AVISynth script:

0=LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\Gabest\VobSub\textsub.vdf")
1=BicubicResize(^TargetWidth,^TargetHeight,^b_value,^c_value)
2=AddBorders(0,^BorderTop,0,^BorderBottom)
3=textsub(!file.sub)
^b_value=0.0
^c_value=0.6
!file.sub=F:\Movies\movie.srt

The subtiles come out somewhat stretched on the final SVCD.
The timing is correct if you wonder. I used VobSub's resynch and everything is perfect. Final movie comes out in widescreen, exactly as the DVDRip was done. No problems there either. Quality is great, and sound is perfect, and yes, subtitles appear, and are timed correctly.

However, they are somewhat wider on the SVCD rather than when playing on the PC with vobsub plugin and standalone .srt or .sub subfile.

I am attaching a screenshot. It is preview window from DVD2SVCD, as you can notice, the screen is resized, but subs are in normal aspect.
Later on I guess frameserver resizes the movie to original 16:9 widescreen format, and subs change from normal to stretched. I still don't quite understand why this happens, especially since the subs are added after the bicubic resize command.

http://www.matrixds.net/preview.jpg

Maybe for some it is not a big deal, but I feel like most people here I am simply a perfectionist. But I would really like some insight into this minor annoyance I encountered. There are quite a few asian movies I wanted to encode with perm subs, and this problem is slightly disturbing. :confused:

Thank you in advance,
cheers, Mike.

MasterYoshidino
2nd March 2003, 08:01
you are right if you frameservered to a movie creator and esp mpeg encoders will need to know that if ur input is 16/9 to tell it to be 16/9 and if to be played in a pc, then ouput should be 1/1 aspect.
if your source is 4/3 aspect then tell it that. If you are going to have it for an svcd/vcd then remember to have output match ratio.

Remember to resize to proper ratios to prevent any distortion or blackbars.

Judging by your picture your source is 16/9 aspect (since the person is streatched vertically) so when you frameserve make sure to resize and crop in your avisynth script to such an aspect to prevent errors in your output (like 640x360 for 16/9)

tref
2nd March 2003, 10:03
Thank you for replying!

I am not sure I understand. I followed the FAQ and tutorial/guide to using DVD2SVCD and my final movie comes out well proportioned (svcd)

I made 3 screenshots now, so you may better understand my problem

This is screenshot of when I play DivX movie with standalone .srt subtitle file. Ignore the positioning and subitle style, as I tweaked my VobSub plugin to show some extras on playback mode.

DivX playback
http://www.matrixds.net/divx.jpg

Final SVCD playback
http://www.matrixds.net/cap001.jpg

The following is the preview still image from DVD2SVCD
http://www.matrixds.net/preview.jpg

As you can see, aspect ratios are correct after final conversion. But subtitles got stretched. In my opinion it looks as if it added subtitles before bicubic resize, and thus thats why subs came out this way.

Maybe I misunderstood your answer, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you!

frank
2nd March 2003, 13:30
Mostly DIVX has square pixels like all monitors.
SVCD has non-square pixels (MPEG), and 2/3 frame width.

You have to put your subs before resizing.

tref
2nd March 2003, 18:36
Thank you very much, it worked! Although I am still slightly confused why it worked, and why all tutorials specify to put the subs at very end of script. I guess I will do more reading on the matter. At any rate, subs are not stretched anymore, they even started taking style settings from .style file, and I can control their appearance now.

Thanks again!

Mike.