PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles on 352x288 video

robz
20th February 2003, 16:28
Hi,

I've been roaming the forum and found no answer to my problem.

Which is this: after creating the DVD layout in scenarist NO subtitles show. The preview in scenarist is fine, nice subs and PowerDVD lets me switch them on and off... but they're not visible.

Here's what I do:

1. Encode 522x380 divx avi file to 352x288 MPEG-2 using TMPGenc
352x288 is half-size DVD (PAL) (right?)

2. Import into scenarist
scenario is PAL, 720x576, 4:3

3. convert .ssa subtitle file to .sst and corresponding bitmaps
I've tried both 720x574 and 352x286 BMP's

4. Import .sst into scenarist
This went fine after some fiddling with pixel_area and display_area

With the 720x574 BMP's scenarist's preview shows subtitles in the right place at the right times

With the 352x284 BMP's the subtitle appears roughly at the bottom of the left top quarter of the screen (which I can understand) (I hope you understand my description so I've drawn a map ;))

('sub' marks the spot)

+-------------+
|
| sub
|
|
+-------------+

When I generate the DVD I get no errors (after some tries and the deletion of failing subtitle bmp's) (weird problem, that)

However, No subs in PowerDVD.
I've used SubRip to test for existence of the 720x574 subs... and guess what? They are all there...

I've tried a forced start (in the .sst file) to no avail.

I haven't tried on a standalone player yet as I don't want to waste a DVD+R, which is the only format my standalone accepts (no DVD+RW)

BTW: I have created 16:9 DVD's with working non-forced subs. (MPEG2 720x576 as I live in PAL-country)

Any ideas anyone? Is this because of the half DVD size I used for the video? And if so... why won't the 352x286 BMP's work?

Thanks
Robz

robz
25th February 2003, 00:49
Hi, I think I found out the problem... It seems PowerDVD is unable to show 720x567 subs on 352x288 video. Not too surpising, although Scenarist simulation window accepts this.

I finally got the subs working in 352x288 ... no problems... probably overlooked something the first (couple of) time(s) I tried.
The low res makes them look horribly blocky, so switched to 720x576 video after all...