PDA

View Full Version : Site to download DivX subtitles ?

iparout
19th February 2003, 12:45
Hi.

I am searching for a good site that will let me download DivX subtitles. I have found a few through google, however I want to know which one is the most accurate i.e. which one has subtitles without errors or perhaps with a rating system\feedback for each subtitle file they host, so as to know which files are full of errors and which ones are good.

Thanks.

lamer_de
19th February 2003, 19:30
ukendt wrote:
No downloaded movies here please

This board doesn't tolerate downloaded movies or subs or whatever.
U may discuss what U do with ur own dvds and nothing else please

dvd.box.sk has something like a rating system...

CU,
lamer_de

iparout
19th February 2003, 20:21
Thanks for the link.

However what's up with that quote ? Noone said that I am downloading those movies (I am on a 56k for God shake !) The reason why I want to download subs is to save 45 minutes of OCR, and spell checking for each movie I backup...

Justinus
20th February 2003, 08:13
@lamer_de
I understand that you concern the regulation of this forum. However, I think it should be legitimate if you want to modify your own DVDs. Moreover, I own several Anime DVDs and very upset of how those professional Japanese translators translated Japanese into English. Even though I didn't understand Japanese clearly, I noticed that sometimes they use the wrong words. Even worse they mistype some sentences as well. This is bad enough to have money back but I didn't do that. In addition to what I mentioned previously, it is impractical to ask them correct those subtitles and manufacture a new one.

Currently, I'm still finding some web sites that provide Anime subtitles. If you find some, please post. There's no point of downloading subtitles of movies that I don't own anyway.

iparout
20th February 2003, 11:24
By the way, i was unable to download subtitles from dvd.box.sk. Where are they ? ny other links would be appreciated.

lamer_de
20th February 2003, 23:05
k, I overshoot. Sorry for that. Your request simply sounded fishy to me.

Downloadable subs will most times contain errors. At least the english subs I dled were usually rather sluggish (mixed I->l, wrong spelled words, other general errors), so I would recomend viewing them before you store your movies permanently. In my eyes ripping the subs by yourself is a faster way, cause you generally have a clue where errors might occur.

I haven't found a site to dl subs for anime, and there probably never will be one. Fansubs groups will never give away their scripts, so you're bound to the subs aviable on DVD. And usually there's no great demand for Anime in general, so anime subs will be hard to find and they won't be different from the one you already provided with the DVD.

In addition to what I mentioned previously, it is impractical to ask them correct those subtitles and manufacture a new one.
Well, if you know how the correct/more appropriate translation should be, simply rip them and change/add the translation ;)

By the way, i was unable to download subtitles from dvd.box.sk. Where are they ? ny other links would be appreciated.
Hmm, they changed their site structure. Simply search in the edit box besides the DivSub dropbox, a new window with results will pop up.

Other sites:
www.subtitles.tk
www.subtitles.cz
www.subtitles.de

Not that hard to find, eh?

CU,
lamer_de

rmatei
23rd February 2003, 09:53
divxsubtitles.net

Registration required, but well worth it. Per the agreement you can only upload your own subs. So no copyright issues IMHO, although it's up to doom9 to decide.

ukendt
24th February 2003, 09:56
local country regulations !
For instance in Denmark U are allowed to make copies of ur dvds.
U must make the copy urself , no dl allowed even if U own the dvd.
On the other hand, if U own the dvd, dl may (and I repeat may) be ok (we are not finished discussing this issue yet).
Other countries don't allow copies and we are not going to support dls of any kind in this board. So whatever ur prob is, after dl something, don't ask.............

ppera2
24th February 2003, 15:33
Dvd.box.sk removed subtitle section because of attack (right word) of Finnish Translator association. Similar attack had divxsubtitles.net, but they removed only Finnish subs. Although site admin said, that they have no right to demand removing all subs, just DVD rips. You may see more details there in forum of site.

Btw. dvd.box.sk said that they will return subs after some modifications.

As I see, there is not all 100% clear about movie subs. I heard even that all translations are illegal, because all text is property of owner.
Actually, I think that selling translations would be illegal, not giving to free dl. (use).
Translation can even be good for better selling DVD. If you can't find movie with your lang....

If we think about some fair market, without monopol, it is very welcome. I will always buy DVD from other country than mine. Prices are too big, and quality is often under acceptable.

iparout
24th February 2003, 16:50
Originally posted by ukendt
local country regulations !
For instance in Denmark U are allowed to make copies of ur dvds.
U must make the copy urself , no dl allowed even if U own the dvd.
On the other hand, if U own the dvd, dl may (and I repeat may) be ok (we are not finished discussing this issue yet).
Other countries don't allow copies and we are not going to support dls of any kind in this board. So whatever ur prob is, after dl something, don't ask.............

I repeat once again that the movies are not downloaded. Even if I wanted to dl them, it would have bee impossible cause I am on a 56k. The movies are back-ups I personally created off the original DVDs. The reason why I want to download subs is because I prefer the .srt format however I don't like spending 45+ min for each DVD just for OCR and (the worst of all) spell checking the .srt file...

ukendt
24th February 2003, 18:27
U like to dl subs ( U didn't make them urself so don't ask)

Justinus
25th February 2003, 01:32
Originally written by ppera2
I heard even that all translations are illegal, because all text is property of owner.

Which owner? Translator, publisher, or writer? What about if you translate that movie by yourself? Should it be considered legally copyrighted by yourself? :confused:

ppera2
25th February 2003, 01:56
Originally posted by Justinus
Which owner? Translator, publisher, or writer? What about if you translate that movie by yourself? Should it be considered legally copyrighted by yourself? :confused:

Usually publisher is owner. But it's not so important who exactly is owner.

I meant 'my' translation of course. But source is not mine.
If you translate book, you still can't have copyright to that book.
Only copyright for translation itself.
Movie text is of course not same as book, but... who knows what law says for this case?
Maybe idiots shall forbid 'user translations' to be published on Net one day...

Justinus
25th February 2003, 02:14
Originally posted by ppera2
Only copyright for translation itself.

I know that they treat books and movies differently in the law and differently in each country. If what you said is true, then it seems that the translation is copyrighted by the translator (not the whole movie itself).