PDA

View Full Version : subtitle guide isn't producing results

chipzoller
18th February 2003, 16:08
I have been encoding DivX for a long time and wished to start with subtitles. I followed the guide and did what it said...when I go to load the .ifo file from the DVD decryption process I get no subtitles. I try the .sub file...still no good. Is there a bug that was reported somewhere that I missed? I'm using BSPlayer to play these back by the way.

I've also used SubRip and converted that text file to a .sub to insert into a script but no matter what I do I can't make it work right.

Here is what the guide says: "Then the subtitles. Here you are at a crossroads: If you want permanent subtitles press the Select VobSub Files button and select the ifo file from the 3 files that VobSub has created for you."

Well, there weren't 3 files created...there were 2... a .sub file and a .idx file. The .ifo was created during DVD decryption. I take it that if I wanted permanent subs then I need to load the .ifo?

It doens't seem to be working.

Can anyone give me a surefire method to making this work?

Also, just to test this, ive been converting just one chapter from a movie to test the results.

thanks,

chip

ukendt
18th February 2003, 20:17
Load the ifo, make the subfile U want (with the languages U want).
Now U have the subfile,nothing else is needed

chipzoller
18th February 2003, 20:19
Ok, now what do I load into GKnot? The guide says .IFO, but as I have said, it doesn't add the subtitles in. I want to permanently encode them...and I know they aren't getting added in correctly...I've viewed the file with 4 different programs and changed settings all around for them...the subtitles aren't there.
I've also tried the .idx and .sub file. What is happening?

chip

ukendt
18th February 2003, 20:22
U must load the right plugin of ur encoder (Virtual Dub or Avisynth or whatever) inorder to "burn" the subs into the pictures

chipzoller
18th February 2003, 20:53
I checked about that...i'm using Virtual dub so I need vobsub.dll and rename it to a VD plugin file? Is that all I need to do then? Just go about and keep my settings etc?

chip

ukendt
18th February 2003, 22:37
Vobsub installs a plugin into the VD dir .............
The only thing U have to do is chosing the right plugin

chipzoller
19th February 2003, 01:27
Once I have that plugin in the VD dir, do I have to do anything else? Can I just continue on like the Doom9 guide says? This meaning: do I have to manually set up VD for every dub of an .avi file?

Can you elaborate on this?

Chip

ukendt
19th February 2003, 09:33
New movie new setup:D .and believe me if U just follow the guides (after proper install of all needed prog) U'll have no trouble

chipzoller
19th February 2003, 14:20
Then maybe something is wrong with my video...cuz it still isn't working.

Isn't there any way where I can encode the video and then after the encode is finished, go back and add subtitles later?

chip

ukendt
21st February 2003, 00:12
Not if U wanna perm subs

chipzoller
21st February 2003, 00:48
Well in any case it still isn't working. I've reinstalled everything to be installed and tried different combinations. Whats the deal?

chip

ukendt
21st February 2003, 09:51
that everything is working for all of us so U must make some mistake somewhere...

blargbigfoot
23rd February 2003, 04:38
I'm trying to burn a subtitle into my movie today and the guide http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/gknot-basics-divx3.htm reads as follows:

"Then the subtitles. Here you are at a crossroads: If you want permanent subtitles press the Select VobSub Files button and select the ifo file from the 3 files that VobSub has created for you. If you prefer to have subtitles that you can switch on and off during playback and in multiple languages you're better off using DirectVobSub (part of the VobSub package) during playback instead of "burning" them into the AVI. The after Borders option is for VCD/SVCD creation only and does not concern us."

but myself like the originator of this thread can only find the ifo created by DVDdecrypter. I even went to the trouble of saving my vobsub files to a different directory to ensure I wasn't doing anything to stupid. The only files produced by vobsub are an .idx and a .sub no .ifo. Unless the ifo the guide is referring to is the ifo from DVDdecrypter; however, one thing I did notice when going for the compressibility check in GKnot is that when you select the "select vobsub files" button it automatically filled in the filename as the name I gave my dvd2avi file + .idx (ie movie.idx). So I think this may be just a typo in the guides, and the .idx is the file you use to permanently burn the subs into the avi, but I am quite a rookie so I maybe wrong. Its what I am using in a backup right now and I'll let you know how it works out.

Worked great, subtitles burned into .avi

ukendt
23rd February 2003, 11:35
Vobsub doesn't make any ifo file. The ifo file is made by Smartripper or Vstrip or dvddecrypter or another rip prog. The rip prog will also patch the ifo file.
If U stick to a well installed version of vobsub (I prefer using 2.18), then open vobsub,
direct the prog to the dir where the ifo file is, take the second option (not idx/sub), that is open ifo, then U will see the ifo file, open it, Vobsub will show U all the available streams with subs, choose the ones U need and make ur sub file (of course U must have all the streams in order to do that 'cause if U didn't rip all the streams U'll have no possibilty of making sub file of those streams) choose then "I croos my fingers" button and U'll have the sub file in a few minutes. That's it, it works, and has been working for me the last 2½ years
Good luke

Chenrezig
11th March 2003, 23:37
Hello - I'm sorry but I'm still having problems with this. Is it the .idx file or the .sub file that has to be selected at the "Select Vobsub Files" button in the "save .avs" window? I'm using VobSub 2.23. I think my problem might be elsewhere but I'm trying to narrow the posibilities.

I notice that the .sub file is bigger than the .idx file and if I open either the .idx or the .sub file in Subresync both files contain the subtitles. May I ask what functions the two files perform and how they are related?

Chenrezig (first post)