PDA

View Full Version : OCRing subs from main DVD movie (not sub stream)

SometimesWarrior
6th February 2003, 22:13
I have a DVD of the movie Ran which I want to back up to Divx. The movie is non-anamorphic NTSC (4:3), with the movie itself shifted up, and the subtitles rendered in the black area below the movie. However, it appears that the subtitles are encoded directly into the movie, rather than in their own subtitle stream. I've done subtitles both soft-coded and hard-coded before, but only when the DVD had the subtitles in a separate stream.

I want to OCR the subtitles so I can store them in text-format in my Divx .ogm. Is this possible, and if so, what program should I use? Doom9's guides only seem to deal with non-embedded subtitles, so that isn't much help. Or, if no program can OCR subtitles in this situation, do I have to hand-type the subtitles? In which case, is there a program that will make the display timing of the subtitles easy/quick to do?

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I scanned through all the forum threads twice, and I didn't find an answer. Thanks for your help!

zuggy
7th February 2003, 12:30
In current time you can only hand-type the subtitles.

There is utility for this purpose under development. You can wait and hope that it gets sometime released.

manono
7th February 2003, 22:40
Hi-

Using Sub Station Alpha (http://www.eswat.demon.co.uk/substation.html) you can enter an 8-bit mono version of the soundtrack to aid in the synching/timing of the subs, but it's by no means easy/quick.

SometimesWarrior
8th February 2003, 07:33
Thank you both for your replies. I guess my original plan of attack isn't going to work too well.

Maybe there's another solution... perhaps someone else has already typed the subtitles for the movie and is sharing it in some database? I did a Google search and came up with http://subtitles.cz but that didn't include my movie of interest. Are there any other such databases I should look through?