PDA

View Full Version : Subs from DVD under the movie in black borders - how?

Chibi Jasmin
4th February 2003, 18:22
I am still searching for a nice way to display the subs from DVD (playing back with the PC) under the movie in the black bars, instead of directly in the movie:

1. For commercial DVDs.
2. For homemade DVDs (not AVI on DVD, I mean normal Video-DVDs)

I split this into two options, because for the second option, I would be able to take special precautions on preparing the disc, if any are needed (burn additional sub files, if possible or whatever). Of course, it would be best to find a way that works with option 1 and 2 without anything special to do...just take the subs from the dvd and render it below the movie and not into the movie...

Anyone knows how to do this?

oddyseus
5th February 2003, 16:58
if u r in maestro or Scenarist authoring realm u can offset the subs vertical position to where u want them. From down, below screen line, under your tv set, to top of the picture through the offset command in son, sst or stl files.

In other tools I dont have any experience so I would procced through a batch resize and repositioning in Photoshop or equivalent program.

Chibi Jasmin
5th February 2003, 18:42
Originally posted by oddyseus
if u r in maestro or Scenarist authoring realm u can offset the subs vertical position to where u want them. From down, below screen line, under your tv set, to top of the picture through the offset command in son, sst or stl files.

In other tools I dont have any experience so I would procced through a batch resize and repositioning in Photoshop or equivalent program.

I am not that experienced in Scenarist stuff so excuse me for asking, instead of trying out...is it possible to move subs actually completely below the picture on anamorphic DVDs (where the picture area only covers 3/4 of a 4:3 TV)? If yes, would it be possible to somehow patch this in a ripped DVD (just like IFOEdit and DVDDecrypter can patch lots of other stuff) without reauthoring?

@all: Any other ideas? There must be something...I could force DVobSub into a DVDGraph and burn the ripped *.idx *.sub together with the vobs etc. into the video_ts folder (would be VTS_01_1.idx/sub, VTS_01_2.idx/sub and so on, I guess...but would that work and/or break compatibility with DVD-standards?)

Have you people never bothered with this or already given up? :D Maybe I am late and missed the show...I actually like my nice mpeg4-avis with seperate subs I can nicely place wherever I want on playback...I hate the subs in the movie on DVDs...there just has to be something! ;)

Chibi Jasmin
6th February 2003, 13:53
Mayve DVDSynth can place the subs under the movie? Anyone tried? I will try myself, as soon as I find the time, but maybe someone has already tested it?

oddyseus
6th February 2003, 14:26
Yes it is possible. Open the son, sst or stl script file that defines subs properties and correct the Y-Offset value. I believe negative numbers r moving the subs down screen.

As for the other thing I don't know any program that can patch the sub stream where u want it to go without reauthoring.

Chibi Jasmin
6th February 2003, 23:18
Originally posted by oddyseus
Yes it is possible. Open the son, sst or stl script file that defines subs properties and correct the Y-Offset value. I believe negative numbers r moving the subs down screen.

As for the other thing I don't know any program that can patch the sub stream where u want it to go without reauthoring.

Well, if anything else fails, I would have to reauthor then...but these subs will only work on 4:3 TVs then...best option would be any player that can move the subs freely...but thanx for your help!

Chibi Jasmin
7th February 2003, 11:41
I will start playing with DVDSynth, as soon as I find the time...

Can anyone tell me, if it hurts specs or compatibility, when I burn the dvdsub-files onto the dvd? Maybe right into the root-dir or into the video_ts-folder? Some titles have additional PC-stuff on the disc, but not in the video_ts folder...are there any rules I have to obey, what files I can burn where on the disc?

And is DVDSynth still being developed? All I know is this page (http://www.roundelay.net/dvdsynth/prerelease.html)...