PDA

View Full Version : New Utility --MakeItEasy-- Full Backups with DVD2one

jdobbs
4th February 2003, 03:48
All,

Okay, I've been impressed with the speed of DVD2one and its ability to create VOBs. But I've been wishing I could do complete backups, menus and all, like I do with the DVD2AVI/CCE/IFOUpdate method. The author is promising this capability in future versions.

I couldn't wait. So I wrote a utility (I call it "MakeItEasy") to do it for me and (as always) I'm sharing it with the DOOM9 crowd. To make it work you need DVDDecrypter, DVD2one, IFOEDIT, and MakeItEasy -- nothing more. Complete backups in an hour or so.

Here's how it works:

1. Rip the disc to your harddrive with DVDDecrypter. Put them in a directory called D:\ORIG (or any name you like)

2. Look at the VOBs and find the one with the movie (the biggest)

3. Copy the files VTS_XX_1.VOB thru VTS_XX_n.VOB to another directory -- for instance call it d:\SOURCE

4. Now look at the directory you copied from and see how much space is used by other files (IFOs, other VOBs, etc.) -- you'll need to know this for MakeItEasy.

5. Run MakeItEasy and follow the directions. You must first prepare the DVD2one source. What you will be doing is padding the VOB files with enough space to hold your extras! That is shown as Step 2 -- make sure you create plenty of space as it will be compressed along with the rest of the source data. It all depends on the size at the start -- regardless it will shrink to 4.38GB when completed.

6. After MakeItEasy pads the VOB files. Run IFOEDIT and click the "Create IFOs" button. It will create all the files needed to run DVD2one.

7. Run DVD2one against the files you just created. Use D:\SOURCE for input and D:\DEST for output (or any name you want)

8. After it's done, it's time to remove the padding (so you have room for your extras) from the files in the D:\DEST directory. Again, MakeItEasy does that -- just follow the directions.

9. Copy the VOB files (only) from the D:\DEST directory to the D:\ORIG directory.

10. Run the update function from MakeItEasy. It updates the original IFO in the same way that IFOUpdate would. It also does a "Get VTS Sectors" function.

11. Test it with PowerDVD or another Player. If all went well you should have directory ready to burn in under an hour.

Please don't throw stones if you find errors. CONSIDER THIS VERSION A BETA. Please post your results here. I just finished writing the software, used it once, and am posting so others can help me debug it. I haven't even written a readme file yet.

Enjoy.

---------
FOUND A BUG -- DELETED ATTACHMENT
WILL POST AGAIN ON TUESDAY

The_Flash
4th February 2003, 04:50
I'll give it a shot after work tomorrow. Thanks for your hard work and dedication!

jdobbs
4th February 2003, 05:09
I found a pretty serious bug. It deleted the files I had created with DVD2one when I was testing on "ET" (it was only supposed to get rid of the padding, sigh) -- I gotta get some sleep, I'll fix and repost tomorrow.

fourtyfour
4th February 2003, 13:53
servus...

hehe, your tool sounds cool.

but I think DVD2one next release comes till the next two weeks.

Pinnacles product will start at beginning of march and will do menus.

But I couldnīt wait for some movies with 5.5 GB.

So attach the tool as soon as possible :D

regards, fourtyfour

Skinleech
5th February 2003, 00:50
Very nice sounding tool, I will give it a try also.

jdobbs
5th February 2003, 00:54
Here's the formula for computing padding size.

a = size of the entire original disc
b = size of all except the main movie
c = size needed for Padding

(a/4.38) * b = c

So if you have an 7GB area that consists of 5GB in movie and 2 GB in extras:

(7/4.38) * 2 = 3.19GB in padding (3190MB)

jdobbs
5th February 2003, 00:56
Ok I fixed the bug (stupid error) -- lets try it again. Please post anything you find with this...

FamousPerson
5th February 2003, 01:07
jdobbs:

your attachment is still "gone"

mpucoder
5th February 2003, 01:08
We have no moderator to approve attachments, so only supermods and admin can do it.

jdobbs
5th February 2003, 01:14
I just did 'ET' with this tool (all features are included) -- it worked great and took a total of 45 minutes beginning to end (not counting burntime).

DVD2one may not be a "perfect" backup -- but it looks damn good.

I'm going to do "Matrix" next.

jdobbs

jdobbs
5th February 2003, 01:41
I don't have the patience to wait, so I deleted the attachment here and posted it in this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45104).

Download, try it, and give me some feedback.

Not sure about multiple angles yet... I may have to make an adjustment for that (tomorrow?) -- it should be fine with interleaved, though.

alanrob
5th February 2003, 02:27
Your a star m8 :D
Keep up the good work.

jdobbs
5th February 2003, 02:52
Just tried "Matrix" twice -- no luck. But it doesn't seem to be MakeItEasy or DVD2one... the IFO file created by IFOUPDATE doesn't seem to be correctly formed. I'll try some more titles.

jdobbs
5th February 2003, 03:54
Okay. I think I've figured out the problem with "Matrix" As I was padding I had an incrementing VOBID. The program pads by reintroducing video from the start of the movie with different VOBID/CELLID and LBA numbers... In the case of "Matrix" it overran and I got some funky VOBID numbers.

For virtually all movies that isn't an issue. At any rate, it's easy to fix. I will correct and repost tomorrow. The new version should also work for multiple angles.

fletch
5th February 2003, 04:29
jdobbs,

Thanks for this nifty new add-on ! I shall test on a PAL movie tonight and post my results.

Cheers

Fletch

CyBerian
5th February 2003, 04:56
thx. for this nice tool :)
I will test it tommorow...

The_Flash
5th February 2003, 05:03
DVD2One won't open the padded vobs. Not sure if it's an ifo creation problem or the padding.

theraven15
5th February 2003, 06:17
First I would like to say this is a great little idea though I can't go by use since I can't seem to get it to work. I'm hoping someone can help me cause I would love to try this out.

I was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong when using MakeItEasy cause in the first padding routine it starts out fine and then I get a "Run-Time Error 5 invalid procedure call or arguement" error message and then the program closes. Has any one else gotten this error or knows why I'm getting it.

This is in step 2 - does it matter what vob file you select as the dvd2one source. I selected the first in the series.

alanrob
5th February 2003, 07:06
Originally posted by theraven15
First I would like to say this is a great little idea though I can't go by use since I can't seem to get it to work. I'm hoping someone can help me cause I would love to try this out.

I was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong when using MakeItEasy cause in the first padding routine it starts out fine and then I get a "Run-Time Error 5 invalid procedure call or arguement" error message and then the program closes. Has any one else gotten this error or knows why I'm getting it.

This is in step 2 - does it matter what vob file you select as the dvd2one source. I selected the first in the series.

Are you moving all the VOB's for the main movie into another folder?

Calypso
5th February 2003, 08:02
jdobbs,

Fine effort- I applaud your continual ingenuity!

Seems to me this method, however, will not work with many multi-pgc titles (typical WB titles, for instance.) The problem is that there is often one or more PGCs both before and after the main feature (like a WB intro, theatrical trailer, etc). I'm not sure exactly which PGC you are padding- but the crux of the problem is the DVD2ONE only lets you select one PGC. If you pad the last PGC, DVD2ONE ignores all that nice padding. :(

In the test case I ran, after "depadding", I still ended up with the same exact number of files, which totaled 4.37GB. MakeItEasy didn't complain about it at all- acted as if nothing was wrong.

EDIT AFTERWARDS:

I do see that the entire VOB was what DVD2ONE encoded (all PGCs), as well as your padding. I guess the IFOEdit step created a single PGC out of the entire VOB. I have about 11 minutes of your padding at the end of the VOB, which MakeItEasy just can't seem to remove.

If this is supposed to work, I guess I'm a bit confused how this single PGC title gets integrated back into the original IFO, which has multiple PGCs.

dvdRENEGADE
5th February 2003, 08:06
jdobbs,
Thanx for the great work with IfoUpdate and now MakeItEasy.

I just completed Spider-Man with your new method and it worked like a charm. Will you be adding the "Transfer Time Map" option in an upcoming version? Without it, the slider within PowerDVD won't function properly.
Thanks again, dvdRENEGADE

theraven15
5th February 2003, 09:29
Originally posted by alanrob
Are you moving all the VOB's for the main movie into another folder?

I'm moving everything except the menu vob which is the first in the series. It starts the first padding process but then I get that error. Then the program closes.

ddepuemd
5th February 2003, 10:22
Hey! I'm ready to try your method, it sounds like the best! Where do I get MakeItEasy???

Dean

dvdRENEGADE
5th February 2003, 10:54
ddepuemd,
jdobbs included a link to it within this thread. Look on the previous page.
dvdRENEGADE

ddepuemd
5th February 2003, 11:04
Sorry about that! I found it anyway. I should always think before I open my mouth (or type, in this case). It's too early - 5 AM.

I'm about to try The Matrix with this method...

jdobbs
5th February 2003, 11:51
When the VOBs are standing alone there is no such thing as a PGC, only VOBID, CELLID, and VOBUs. The PGC is defined in the IFO. So when IFOEDIT creates the new IFO, it assumes a single PGC. DVD2one encodes it as a single PGC. Then MakeItEasy puts the information back into the original IFO, making it multiple PGC again.

It doesn't matter which VOB you select -- MakeItEasy collects the filenames for all VOBs in that directory. DO, HOWEVER, make sure the VOBs are in a directory by themselves.

Something to watch for:

Make sure the files aren't read-only. When you copy them directly from a DVD (not using DVDDecrypter) they maintain the read only status (unclick it).

All: Please remember that this is a beta and is bound to run into some errors.

@dvdRenegade

I'll add options as soon as I get rid of the initial errors. How was the quality on SPIDERMAN?

Chambers
5th February 2003, 13:49
Just want to thank you Jdobbs for making this tool. I will test it out tonight on The Matrix (NTSC) once I get home (if my new mobo comes in). I tried taking an extra audio stream, the ripping it out to make room for the menu, then using ifoupdate on the ifo's but it kept giving me errors and didn't work. I hope this new tool will work. Thanks again!

dvdRENEGADE
5th February 2003, 14:05
I've only checked out about 10 mins. of Spider-Man by skipping around the movie on my computer with PowerDVD. I didn't notice any flaws, flickering, etc. I'll edit this and give an update on my opinion of the total quality of it after watching it on my television. I usually go the CCE/IfoUpdate way when doing full DVDs. This is way simpler and much faster. If you're running low on time, this is the way to go. dvdRENEGADE

theraven15
5th February 2003, 14:21
I would like to say that I'm in the process of testing it out. I seemed to figure out my problem and it had something to do with the dvd I was doing. I started out testing with Star wars Ep2 and makeiteasy came up with that error durinig step one every time. So I gave up on that one and now testing resident evil and as of this writing I'm in the dvd2one step. Though I did have to change the numbers around since the movie on resident evil is on VTS_02 dvd2one would work so I changed the the 2 to a 1 and dvd2one is running. I just wanted to let people no that my problem was with makeiteasy totally. It was with star wars ep2 cause the program seems to be working with resident evil.

drmih
5th February 2003, 16:02
Just tried it on a disc with the main title set about 3 hours long (6.85 Gb for VTS_01) and with 4 PGCs. Everything worked fine except that it did overshoot by 20 Mb - not usually a pain but on this occassion there were no other files to grab to get the extra space. However, I just had a flick through on the PC using PowerDVD and was impressed with the quality of the encoding. Timings wise it took about 55 mins to encode using DVD2One. The other time delay was due to the creation of the files by ifoedit (probably 20 to 30 mins) - is there a quicker method to create the dummy files containing one PGC?

bommelid
5th February 2003, 16:51
I tried out the tool with "Romeo must die".
It worked fine until step 4.
The new encoded VOBs are 4.38GB. But if I select them and press "Remove Padding" it seems to work and creates a makeiteasy.vob .
but after step 4 is done the size is still 4.38GB (only the movie without extras).

bommelid

da_SPiN
5th February 2003, 17:41
hmmmmm, anyone expirienced the following? I ripped the DVD with DVD-Decrypter, moved over the files to an other dir. Calculated according to the formula (full dvd: 6,2GB Extras: 1,6GB => Padding 1.925)
Ok, I only chose the VTS_02_1.vob filein MakeItEasy. (VTS_02_xx was the movie). Everything went fine, VOB files were blown up. The I fired up ifo edit and created the ifo files (which were named VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0.BUP and the two TS files, so I renamed the vob files (from 02 to 01) to match up with the ifo files and fired up DVD2One. Everything went fine until here. DVD2One Squeezed the back to 4,36GB but the next step failed. Removing padding didn't work, files were still 4,36 GB. The movie I tried was EXIT WOUNDS (PAL).
Any ideas? Help is muuuuuch apreciated....

thx

SPiN

alanrob
5th February 2003, 19:13
I'm going to try MASH Season 1 Disk 3 tonight and I'll post l8r how I get on with it.

Eyes`Only
5th February 2003, 19:26
dvdRenegade: You don't see any flaws? Give me a break! Turn on the 'spider sense' on your DVD, and try to use it. There's your flaw. Doubt you'll ever get that working with this method.

marvel2020
5th February 2003, 19:34
First of all, jdobbs thx for taking the time and effort to make such a programme.

Ok i'm gonna try backing up The Jackal PAL Region 2, Now when rip to my Harddrive the size is...

Entire DVD = 7.61GB
Main Movie Vob's =5.74GB
Remaining Extra's = 1.86GB

Now as i understand the formula, you Divide the Entire DVD size by the 4.38, then what ever your left with you Multiply with the Remaining Extra's, so in my case.....

7.61 divided 4.38 =answer here x 1.86

Is this correct ???? or am i well of the mark here???

Also what do you use to do the formula, can you use the calculator in windows ???.

Sorry for asking and sounding like a total Dumbass( Maybe because i am :) ).

Thanks in advance

The_Flash
5th February 2003, 20:03
Originally posted by da_SPiN
...Everything went fine until here. DVD2One Squeezed the back to 4,36GB but the next step failed. Removing padding didn't work, files were still 4,36 GB. The movie I tried was EXIT WOUNDS (PAL).
Any ideas? Help is muuuuuch apreciated....

thx

SPiN

Same problem here. My disc was M:I-2 (NTSC)

siloportem
5th February 2003, 20:14
thx to jdobbs for the effort on MakeItEasy. pretty sweet little prog.

i ran into the same trouble with removing the padding from the new VOB's from DVD2One. here's what i did to fix it.

basically...strip out the extra IDs that are in the new VOB. from what i gather MakeItEasy pads the VOBs with more audio and video by looping the movie as much as you need. what you can do is open the IFO that DVD2One generates and strip the VOB IDs from it.

i checked my original IFO to see how many IDs i was supposed to have. the answer: 27. i checked the newly created IFO from DVD2One and it contained 110 or so IDs. i fired that DVD2One IFO up in IFOEdit and ran a StripID on it. i kept the first 27 IDs. i had IFOEdit put my new VOBs and new IFO files in a new directory.

i dropped my new VOBs back into my Orig directory. then i used IFOUpdate to correct the Orig IFO and all was good.

hope this makes sense and helps...

dvdRENEGADE
5th February 2003, 20:15
jdobbs,
I've tried 2 straight and can't get it to remove the padding except for the way siloportem mentions above.
They were:
X-Files Season 1 DVD 1 and Changing Lanes. It removed the padding w/ Spider-Man.
dvdRENEGADE

Eyes`Only
No spider sense...that's a bummer.

gnutellafan
5th February 2003, 21:26
hey, thank you for the continued work for the scene. However, wouldnt it be easier to make a feature request to just set the end output size from dvd2one? Should be simple enough for them to implement and remove alot of steps.

2COOL
5th February 2003, 22:06
Wow! I counted over a hundred people, members and guests, reading this thread right now. It's just too captivating!:D

mhz
5th February 2003, 22:35
Originally posted by gnutellafan
hey, thank you for the continued work for the scene. However, wouldnt it be easier to make a feature request to just set the end output size from dvd2one? Should be simple enough for them to implement and remove alot of steps.

Bravo, I think this is the best way, DVD2ONE if you read this please add an option to your wonderfull program to set the dvd final size :)
Tx.
Miki

p.s. I have the same problem with step4 "remove padding" did not do the job for my "Rules of Engagement" ( NTSC) same 4.37GB after running this step :(

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 00:23
I obviously have a bug in removing padding. I'll look at it either tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback -- please remember this is a work in progress.

BTW, I asked the DVD2one author (via EMail) if he could add a feature to set the output file size. He said it was coming in a future version. At that point the only thing you'd need is the update function. Who knows, maybe he'll do complete disc backups in the next version and at that point I'll be happy to dump this program.

You gotta love all this DVD stuff, eh? But most of the fun is in figuring out the insides... when it gets too easy we're all going to have to start looking for another challenge. Sigh...

jdobbs

alanrob
6th February 2003, 00:48
Here's how I got on with MASH Season 1 Disk 3 -

Took 35 mins to copy all the files from the DVD to my hd using DVD Decrypter.
Wasted a bit of time with the IFO creation within IFOEdit - forgot to make it a single PGC (DOH!)

20 mins to do DVD2One and everything worked out fine until I go to burn it off to a DVDR.

I'm getting the same problem I get when I try other methods of doing DVD9 to DVD5 copies. RecordNow starts off burning as normal, but when it hits around 15MB it comes up saying it is finalising the DVDR.
20 mins later it spits the disk out, but only a small part of the disk has been used.

When I load this disk in and look at it within Explorer all the files are there and it thinks the disk is 4.3GB???

Guess this is another method that just will not work for me. Anyone any ideas as to what can be causing this.

BTW, the new VOB's play 100% in PowerDVD so there can't be anything wrong there (or can it?)...

mpucoder
6th February 2003, 01:19
I can't explain the cause, but I can explain explorer. Explorer looks only at the directory information, which is written prior to the data. Unlike hard drives, the directory cannot be updated as writing takes place, or afterward (as Windows does), and so it reflects what should be if everything works.

dvdRENEGADE
6th February 2003, 09:20
jdobbs has posted makeiteasy-v012.zip in the other thread. It's supposed to correct the remove padding problem. just letting you know in case you didn't already.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45104

ddepuemd
6th February 2003, 11:17
I just finished with Gone in 60 Seconds and it worked great! No problems at all.

But I agree with some earlier comments on this thread, it would be nice it DVD2one squeezed more than just the main movie. In fact, it would be nice if it squeezed all the extras, features, etc. first to see what is left. I would rather suffer quality there than in the main movie.

As in GONE, there is sp. feat. file more than 600MB. This could easily be squeezed and leave room for better quality in the main movie.

Other than that, it works great! I am going to try Rules of Engagement next.

By the way, time frame:
rip the entire disk - 40 mins
pad the files - 20 mins
process IFO's - 15 mins
dvd2one - 65 mins
remove padding - 15 mins
update IFO's - 5 mins
burn - 40 mins

this is not a "quickly"!!!

I have a dual Athlon 1.8GHz MP machine with 1GB DDR mem.

Dean

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 11:27
Wow -- I have to tell you those are lousy speeds.

I'm using an XP2100, 512MB 2100 RAM, and an ATA-100 60GB drive on my video encoding computer.

1. Ripping to disc. Never takes more than 20 minutes. Are you sure you've enabled DMA and/or ASPI?

2. Padding the files: 10 minutes at the most

3. Process IFOs -- maximum of 10 minutes

4. DVD2one -- about 30 minutes for a full VTS set.

5. Removing padding -- maybe 10 minutes

6. Updating the IFO -- instantaneous.

That is a 1 hour worst case scenario. Of course nothing is going to make the burn go faster no matter how you reauthor it.

jdobbs

ddepuemd
6th February 2003, 11:50
I am using XP Pro on my machine. Are you saying that I should set I/O mode to ASPI, using the WINASPI32.DLL instead of the default SPTI for XP?

mhz
6th February 2003, 12:40
Originally posted by ddepuemd
I just finished with Gone in 60 Seconds and it worked great! No problems at all.

But I agree with some earlier comments on this thread, it would be nice it DVD2one squeezed more than just the main movie. In fact, it would be nice if it squeezed all the extras, features, etc. first to see what is left. I would rather suffer quality there than in the main movie.

As in GONE, there is sp. feat. file more than 600MB. This could easily be squeezed and leave room for better quality in the main movie.

Other than that, it works great! I am going to try Rules of Engagement next.

Dean

In the movie "Rules of Engagement" the extras are 2.5GB I did squeezed themt to 800MB using the same MakeItEasy way for it in two steps:
1. squeeze the extras.
2. squeeze the main movie.
using DVD2ONE and it works pefectly for me ( only problem with the padding removing.. hope the next version will solve)
:rolleyes:
Miki

ddepuemd
6th February 2003, 12:51
mhz:

How did you sqeeze the extras first?????

DVD2one won't go any further than allow me to select the directs. I know it won't work on files less than 4.3 gb either. Did you pad the files for the extras first???

Dean

mhz
6th February 2003, 12:55
mhz:

How did you sqeeze the extras first?????

DVD2one won't go any further than allow me to select the directs. I know it won't work on files less than 4.3 gb either. Did you pad the files for the extras first???

Dean
If you followed MakeitEasy guide the first step (after ripping) is copy the main movie VOBs to different dir and ran IFOEDIT "create IFO" for the movie's VOBs , so,I coppied the Exrta's VOBs as it is the so called "MAIN MOVIE"

ddepuemd
6th February 2003, 13:02
mhz:

So let me get this straight:

you copied the extra vob's to the source directory, ran the pad step to add some space?? How much? then what? RUn dvd2one? I don't get it!

Dean

redfive19
6th February 2003, 14:13
I am getting kinda confused while trying to do the first Cowboy BeBop DVD. I rip everything to the HDD with DVD Decrypter. I move everything except for the 5 episodes to another folder. I also move the 0 vob of each set to a different folder (as per the instructions). I run the padding, on the first vob set, and I don't see an increase in file size. Is the increase purely transparent? And how the heck do you create a single set with IFOEDIT. IfOEDIT only lets me choose one vob set at a time. (I am no where near proficient with IFOEDIT since my method till now has been to rip the main movie...if it's too big, reencode, pulldown, use maestro to author..etc.)

If someone could post their method of backing up a multi pgc title, and what worked for them, I, and I'm sure many others, would appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time.

-red five

ddepuemd
6th February 2003, 14:14
mhz:

didn't work. I copied the extra vob's, ran ifoedit, then dvd2one, ended up the same size. Which is what I expected, since dvd2one does not touch anything under 4.3gb. what is it that you did????

Dean

SteveV
6th February 2003, 14:17
Is it possible to use makeiteasy in combination with DVD2DVD-R ( its better because it is using CCE and i dont care if it takes longer ) because in that app you can reserve space ?
And i am not interested in the extra`s i just want a menu on the dvd with the possibility to enable subs or audio tracks within the menu.

drmih
6th February 2003, 14:56
Following basic logic the process for doing the extras as well would be as follows:

If you have a movie at say 6Gb (let's call it VTS_01) and extras at 1.5GB (let's say VTS_02) you must make a decision on the relative compression. If you decide to compact the 1.5 Gb of Extras to 0.5 Gb then you would need approx 4.38-0.5-other files for the movie. Therefore copy the Extras vobs to a new directory and pad them by 4.38*(1.5/0.5)-1.5. Theoretically when the process is complete there will be 4.38 Gb of files of which the useful part is 0.5 Gb. Remove the padding and create the VTS set for the Extras. Then do the same with the movie and add the padding which will be the remaining files (which now include a VTS_02 of 0.5 Gb). Complete the process and the 6 Gb movie will fit the remaining space.

Chambers
6th February 2003, 15:32
Originally posted by jdobbs

You gotta love all this DVD stuff, eh? But most of the fun is in figuring out the insides... when it gets too easy we're all going to have to start looking for another challenge. Sigh...

Ha! Couldn't have said it better myself!!! The fun part of all this is finding cool little tricks to making everything work. Congrats on your app and all the apps you've provided for us!

btw, did you get a chance to try The Matrix? did it keep all the angles and stuff? My PC stuff came in yesterday so I'll be rebuilding my machine tonight and give it a shot.

mhz
6th February 2003, 15:38
mhz:

didn't work. I copied the extra vob's, ran ifoedit, then dvd2one, ended up the same size. Which is what I expected, since dvd2one does not touch anything under 4.3gb. what is it that you did????

Dean
You need to padd the extra's VOB and only then run the IFOEdit and dvd2one.
I can not remember now which formula I used but from original DVD of 8GB with 2.3GB of extra and 5.7 main movie I padd the extras VOBs by 5 GB and end-up ,after padding removed, with 1GB of Extra's VOB
:rolleyes:
Miki

ddepuemd
6th February 2003, 16:45
Miki:

OK, I'l give it a try that way. Thanks!

Dean

ArcticFox
6th February 2003, 17:10
jdobbs,

i have a problem, when i pad my files it comes up with something along the lines that it cant create any more files and stops padding, i look at the dir and its got vts_01_1.vob to vts_01_9.vob, before padding it went upto vts_01_6.vob

see if my maths is right

Full DVD is 7.55gb
Main Film is 5.35gb
Extras are 2.20gb

(7.55/4.38) * 2.20 = 3.79 or 3790gb in padding

when i do that it sends it past vts_01_9.vob which then throws up errors in makeiteasy

can anyone help me?

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 17:27
@Artic Fox

5.25GB + 3.79GB = 9.14GB The largest VTS stream is 9GB. You will have to run it twice (on two different VTS sets).

jdobbs

ArcticFox
6th February 2003, 17:29
sorry but i dont understand what you mean, how do i run it on 2 vts sets?

needle
6th February 2003, 17:47
Just tried it and everything worked fine except that the size of the final files is about 150 Mb greater than the
maximum size of a DVD-R. A similar case had been reported by drmih in this thread. If I understand the procedure,
the padding size should be computed as follows:

b * (a - b)/(4.38 - b) = c,

where

@jdobbs
Please can you check your formula again?

drmih
6th February 2003, 18:02
I'm not sure if I'm not paying attention or if there is a small inaccuracy in the program. I usually overshoot the disc space slightly and realised that the amount of padding needs to take into account the compression. Therefore if your remaining files are 0.1 Gb in size then the actual padding needs to be (VTS Size/4.38)*0.1 Is there a way that the programme could note the size of the vobs it's about to ammend to and multiply the padding size accordingly?

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 18:14
@Chambers

No go with the Matrix, I'm going to look at it again tonight. It just has a whole lot of cells (150 or so I think) and I'm screwing it up when padding by rolling over into illeage VOBIDs. Damn!

I have an idea for stretching the capability of this program. I could actually pull all the CELLs from all the VOB sets and put them all together as if they were one. You could then run DVD2one, and MakeItEasy could then rewrite them to the proper VTS and update the IFOs. That way padding wouldn't really be necessary.

The problem is that I don't want to waste a lot of time creating an incredibly elegant solution for something that will be fixed in two weeks. Wish I knew when the next version of DVD2one was going to be released and what capabilities it will have.

jdobbs

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 18:23
@needle

(a/4.38)*b = c

then add a smidgen for safety (a smidgen is the scientific equivalent of an RCH)

ArcticFox
6th February 2003, 18:28
how do i do 2 vts sets or whatever it is?

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 18:39
Do the first one and pad it as much as you can. Finish the complete sequence. Then grab the next largest VTS and do the same with it (with the NEW total size).

ArcticFox
6th February 2003, 19:01
i dont have a clue how to, nevermind, ill just use CCE + Dvdmaestro way

alanrob
6th February 2003, 19:08
I think I've found the problem with burning off my new VOB's.
When I went to tried Nero it complains that it doesn't have a
VTS_02_6.VOB which it says is required.

The original files for VTS_02 were numbered 1 to 8 and now I have 1 to 5. Anyone any ideas were Nero would be getting this info (inside an IFO maybe?).

I'm going to create blank VTS_02_6/7/8.VOB files and see what Nero says now, but it would be interesting to find out why I'm getting this problem and no-one else is.

alanrob
6th February 2003, 19:21
Okay, just tried creating empty files and first thing Nero complained about was the fact the file wasn't a multiple of 2kb.
So I copied one of the small VOB's that was just a blank video and put them in place.

Now Nero says that DVD-Video files reallocation failed.
Think I'll have to stick with doing movie only rips as I've yet to have any problems with them.

gatorlost
6th February 2003, 21:02
just used makeiteasy for the first time on
gladiator after a little confusion on my part
regarding padding finally got it (i am old after all)
produced the movie in the orig folder and played it
with powerdvd worked a treat

however, (there's always one of those) when i tried to
burn it with nero i got the following error msg

"Backup file VTS_01_0.BUP
should be identical to VTS_01_0.ifo
dvd video compliance test failed"

any ideas on what i have done wrong or missed

tia

other than that what a good little programme

:)

issa
6th February 2003, 21:11
I have a problem on padding.

I had a DVD 5.99GB and extra stuff 954MB, by the formula
(5.99/4.38)*0.954GB=1305MB
After all the process, the final dvd is 200MB biger.
Am I doing somthing wrong?

*edit*
I fix the problem using @needle formula.
I think the ratio of the movie will give better
answer than the ratio of the disc.

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 21:30
My recommendation to Nero users:

1. Search the forum.

2. See how many problems have been reported with burning DVDs with Nero.

3. Use something else.

gizmau
6th February 2003, 21:40
nero works fine.
but just mustnt burn as 'dvd video' - use udf 1.02 instead.

Jafco
6th February 2003, 21:46
>>> I think I've found the problem with burning off my new VOB's.
When I went to tried Nero it complains that it doesn't have a
VTS_02_6.VOB which it says is required. <<<

I'm getting the same error, (with VTS_01_6.VOB) with Nero 5.5.9.17.

It's got to be inside some IFO somewhere. I'm going to try to burn it anyway and see if it all plays correctly anyway.

Jafco
6th February 2003, 21:49
@jdobbs

>> 3. Use something else. <<

I've got several options; you have any recommendation? I've used Nero 5.5.9.17 extensively with IFOUpdate backups (standard, Multi-Maestro, and adjusted) and never got this error until now.

"MakeItEasy" clearly incorporates some of the routines from IFOUpdate (or some of the strategies, at any rate). Perhaps the "updating" portion of MakeItEasy is forgetting to change the IFO's to account for this issue?

Doing my first test now; thanks for the tool.

mpucoder
6th February 2003, 21:52
I don't think padding 2 VTS's will work since DVD2One will retain only one of them, and that one is used for target bitrate calculation.

jdobbs
6th February 2003, 23:00
What I was saying was to do them one at a time. Each as if it were the only one you were doing. It's done in the IFOEDIT/CCE method all the time. I've done it with DVD2one.

alanrob
6th February 2003, 23:53
My recommendation to Nero users:

1. Search the forum.

2. See how many problems have been reported with burning DVDs with Nero.

3. Use something else.

Hi m8,

I'm not a Nero user when it comes to DVD's - I prefer using RecordNow, but it doesn't give any error when trying to burn off my folder after doing a DVD9 to DVD5 convertion.

Thought I'd try Nero to see if it gave an error (which it did).
Also seems that I'm not alone in this missing VTS file error so it can't be anything I'm doing. Is it maybe something getting missed in the IFO update stage?

jdobbs
7th February 2003, 01:01
@Jafco,

Same routines, cut and paste.

Ak47
7th February 2003, 01:52
Used MakeitEasy/DVD2One as described by JDobbs on PAL and NTSC titles to create full functional backups No Problem...

Impressed with speed... quality not up to CCE but is FULL backup now at least.. and about 80% faster than any other method...

Another advantage is that the DVD2ONE resize keeps VOB ID's and structure... which makes for a lot less Audio sync/Subtitle Probs... and fully functional re-integrate with little tampering in the IFO's

only thing that seems to throw it is DTS Audio... on NTSC title kept additional DTS track and size was 300mb over requirement... maybe my calc was out..

stripped out np with IFOEdit.. but is actually a good way of sneaking in extra padding allowance... leave in extra streams for DVD2ONE resize... then strip out if need to adjust size by 100 - 200 mb or so..

other than that easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy... hats off to JDobbs

Kanector
7th February 2003, 03:12
Could the problem with the padding be the way a PC interprets what a Mb is?

For example if you get a result of 4Gb as your padding then the actual size in Mb is 4096 and not 4000. There is 1024Mb in a Gb.

So what ever you get as your result, multiply it by 1,024.

Calypso
7th February 2003, 05:53
Folks, according to my algebra, the most accurate method to determine padding is:

PAD = xtras*VOBS/(4482-xtras) (All calculations done in MBytes)

xtras= how much room you want left for your extras
VOBS= size of main movie vobs (in MBytes)
PAD= What you enter in to MakeItEasy's 'Pad' entry

This formula is very close, if the transcoding of the 'pad' by DVD2ONE is consistent with the rest of the movie.

Shamanis
7th February 2003, 07:46
To those of you struggling with Nero as I was, i suggest you do this:

1. Throw away Nero (for DVD-R anyhow)
2. Use ImgTool_089 or greater to create an image
3. Burn using DVDDecrypter "ISO -> Write" option.

Haven't had a single problem with Video File Reallocation or non-standard DVD's (which is what Nero seems to create).

On top of that, all this software is free, and available from Doom9 downloads. You can also mount the image with DaemonTools and watch it on a software DVDplayer as if it were the original disk to ensure all works. :D

... Can't wait to test MakeItEasy out tonite

:p

mhz
7th February 2003, 11:15
First,The new MakeItEasy "padding remove" works perfect for me Tx.

Secund, dose anyone face problem with the subtitles color in the final movie.
Tx. :confused:
Miki

jdobbs
7th February 2003, 11:28
The colors change? MakeItEasy doesn't modify the IFO's color tables or copy them from the DVD2one generated IFO... Don't know if DVD2one does anything to them -- but I would have thought it wouldn't have shown since the tables weren't updated... hmmm

toolman2k
7th February 2003, 12:43
hi all,

i tried makeiteasy, which is indeed easy.however i tried the first disc of band of brothers.....but at the start the WB logo seems to have a few secs missing in beginning. also where powerdvd says its 12 secs, it just goes past 12 secs in black and never ends.even after an hour it doestn go to the menu.only if i press menu manually it goes there.

anybody an idea how this can be ?

Ranboob
7th February 2003, 13:09
will this method work for multiple PGC anime episode DVDs?

mhz
7th February 2003, 13:31
The colors change? MakeItEasy doesn't modify the IFO's color tables or copy them from the DVD2one generated IFO... Don't know if DVD2one does anything to them -- but I would have thought it wouldn't have shown since the tables weren't updated... hmmm

It happend to me with two movies K19 and Rules of engagement maybe the IFOEdit step to the main movie's VOBs did it :confused:
after running create IFO step for the padding VOBs the DVD2ONE do not recognize the audio and the subtitles format and language

jdobbs
7th February 2003, 15:32
Unpad it and check again just to see if it is the padding or the original. I don't think I've seen it recognize the subtitle language on any movies yet (with or without MakeItEasy).

CiViC
7th February 2003, 15:53
i'm not sure if it's dvd2one that changed the colors of your subs, but maybe..

see, i had this movie that had erronous crap in VTS-ID(?) 1,4-7, and the movie was only in 2-3. I ripped those two out with ifoedit 0.95, and noticed my subs were now green. It's very easy to fix with that "copy/paste subtitle color" feature in this version of ifoedit..i had the original vob's on my hd, and the post-dvd2one vob's..i copied the subtitle colors from the original vob's and then pasted into the almost-finished product, et voila. Works like a charm.

sorry if i've made a mistake about the VTS-ID's or whatever, i'm not at my pc, and i have shitty memory anyway :confused:

toolman2k
7th February 2003, 15:55
anyone knows what to do with my problem ??

did band of bro's went easily.but the WB logo (which was left as original, not reeencoded,untouched) lost the first few secs, and worse, it never goes to the menu! it just plays forever in black, the time also advanced, only when i press menu the menu comes......any idea ??

if not then someone knows how to just strip out the beginning logo and go straight to menu ?

mhz
7th February 2003, 16:09
@civic
This is what happend to me I ripped the padding from the VOBs using IFOedit (befor makeiteasy's "padding removing" bug fix) and the subtitles become green...
How do u copy the subtitles color from the original using IFOedit:confused:
Tx.
Miki
EDIT :
I had old vesion of IFOEdit it can be done with IFOEdit0.95
Tx.

mike4692
7th February 2003, 16:11
Jdobbs,

I a have a question reguarding the way that the make it easy programme updates the ifo from dvd2one and the original ,

I beleive that dvd2one makes a single pgc movie only and the "make it easy" programme then changes the ifo in the original as to incorporate the main movie back as a full dvd backup , why then can this not be done with cce as a single pgc reguardless of the amount of chapters it has.

Now I know that you can do adj cell mode for multi pgc movies , but the few times I have tried this it has given me errors and aborted the function.So is the way that "make it easy" updates the ifo file diffrent in some way as to prevent these errors .The dvd2one main movie ,does it consist of the same number of cells as I dont think it has the same amount of chapters as the original( perhaps I am wrong )

The reason I ask is I would much prefer to do it the CCE way as for Quality with perhaps only 2GB for a main movie with ac3 sound , but the adj cell method has been a problem for me :confused:

I did do Xmen with make it easy where the CCE method failed with adj cell mode .:confused:

kitarolivier
7th February 2003, 16:27
Hey ! I tried this nice tool, and it worked fine with PowerDVD. But when I tried to burn with nero as DVD video, it told me that "Required file 'VTS_01_6.VOB' is not present " (of course, because the length have been reduced to 4.xx GB, and thus VTS_01_1 to VTS_01_5). What did I do wrong ?

jdobbs
7th February 2003, 19:59
@mike4692

The difference is the fact that DVD2one is a transcoder. CCE is an encoder. CCE doesn't see the original format of the DVD as it does it's encoding -- all it sees is the information that is fed to it (usually from DVD2AVI or an AVI).

A transcoder, on the other hand, sees the original VOB as it was built and can much more easily ensure it is replicated correctly.

I also would love to do a transcode using CCE -- it is far and away the best encoder available (I personally think it gives better output at a given bitrate than expensive hardware encoders).

One way that may be possible is if someone wrote a transcoder that interfaced with CCE's Premiere plug-in... But that is not a trivial undertaking.

mike4692
7th February 2003, 20:08
Jdobbs
Thanks for your reply,and I guess if I want to do it CCE I will have to get the adj cell mode to work , oh well, there goes my sanity :eek:

alanrob
7th February 2003, 20:15
Originally posted by Shamanis
To those of you struggling with Nero as I was, i suggest you do this:

1. Throw away Nero (for DVD-R anyhow)
2. Use ImgTool_089 or greater to create an image
3. Burn using DVDDecrypter "ISO -> Write" option.

Haven't had a single problem with Video File Reallocation or non-standard DVD's (which is what Nero seems to create).

On top of that, all this software is free, and available from Doom9 downloads. You can also mount the image with DaemonTools and watch it on a software DVDplayer as if it were the original disk to ensure all works. :D

... Can't wait to test MakeItEasy out tonite

:p

Thanks for the tip m8.
Made an image file and it plays fine through DaemonTools. I'll burn it off l8r and I'll let you know how it goes.

alanrob
7th February 2003, 21:36
At last :D Finally got a complete DVD9 to DVD5 copy to burn off :D
Thanks again for the tip Shamanis, DVD Decrypter burnt off the image great and it plays in my stand alone.

I'll be trying a few others over the weekend and I might even try the CCE method again and see if I can get these to burn off too :)

sidders
7th February 2003, 22:45
I am trying to back up Hi-Fidlelity

Total disc size - 7.24
Everything apart from movie - 1.73 gb

So main movie is around 5.51gb

I decided to allow a little extra for the padding, so I used 1900 as the value in MAkeItEasy

Followed the instructions to the letter

Played in WinDVD - perfect!!!! or not....
The total file size is just over 5gb

Now, i noticed a calculation on here to work out the padding. I just did this, and the padding value comes out at 3.59
It this right? Do I have to pad 3.59 gig?

Cheers,
Stu

sidders
7th February 2003, 23:00
I've just done this, and it said 'hit the max files for DVD' or something - obviously over 9 vob files
HELP!!!???

jdobbs
7th February 2003, 23:01
Reduce the size of your padding.

sidders
7th February 2003, 23:03
Reduce? Won't that not leave me with enough room for my extras?
Sorry to be a pain JDobbs! Great prog!

I've just read an earlier post, when you said to run another title set through dvd2one. I tried this but in VTS_02_** there are lots of different titles (18 I think) and dvd2one only lets you select one of them

Thanks!

jdobbs
7th February 2003, 23:49
@sidders

What I meant was run another VTS (VTS_02_X.VOB in your case) through the entire MakeItEasy process (padding, encoding, unpadding, etc). If you do it the way I've described there will only be one PGC to choose from (no matter how many there were originally).

sidders
7th February 2003, 23:57
Do u mean to try and shrink the size of the extras? Won't it fail when it gets to the dvd2one stage as it will already be below 4.3 gb?

Sorry if I sound stupid with this!

Thanks for your help.

2COOL
8th February 2003, 00:12
Just wondering...

If I strip out unwanted audio/subtitles prior to get a lesser size movie, use MakeItEasy for padding, and then DVD2one, I would have a better quality movie and extras too right? You know, the bigger the movie, the lower the quality after transcoding. I would like to backup the whole DVD but if size is giving me problem for quality, It doesn't bother to sacrifice any unwanted stuff.

Before this thread, the talk about used to be focused on quality. Now to me, it's now about size.

jdobbs
8th February 2003, 00:38
To get the highest quality out of DVD2one you just do the movie as the program was designed. Every megabyte you add in padding to keep the extras has an impact on quality. The question is "At what point is it noticable -- and more importantly, at what point is it unacceptable?"

That fact is also true for CCE, TMPEGENC, or any other package. It's just a matter of physics that the more bandwidth you give to the video stream (within a given encoder) the better the quality.

So, the more extras you dump -- the better the video quality.

LeXXuz
8th February 2003, 04:55
Hm... something's not working out for me with this method.
I tried three different movies (all single PGCs) but the player isnt able to jump correctly within the movies.
For example if I jump near the end, I get the movie playin in the middle but timecode shows the time I jumped to.
The last 10 or 20 minutes of each movie I can't jump any further the player jumps back to the timecode it started to jump from... strange...
Makeiteasy reports no errors and the resulting ifos look ok.
I guess the navpacks within the transcoded vobs by dvd2one aren't correct.....

jdobbs
8th February 2003, 04:59
That's interesting. You may have put your finger on a problem I'v been looking for. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I don't think its the Navpacks, though. I've compared them before and after.

Do you know if there is any interleaving or multiple angles in the ones you've tried?

LeXXuz
8th February 2003, 06:46

Do you know if there is any interleaving or multiple angles in the ones you've tried?

Nope. All of them are single angle and no interleaving.

dvdRENEGADE
8th February 2003, 11:49
LeXXuz
Are you having this problems on a software player? If so, it's probably because the update ifo feature of MakeItEasy doesn't transfer the time map.
Just a guess,
dvdRENEGADE

jdobbs
8th February 2003, 13:42
@LeXXuz

I may have found the bug that was causing your problem. Please download the version posted in this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45104&pagenumber=2) and see if it fixes it. The bug's been around for a while in IFOUpdate and got transferred into MakeItEasy when I copied the code.

If this isn't it I'll look at transferring the time map.

geffroman
8th February 2003, 13:48
Thanks for all the effort jdobbs:

For everyone else just an observation... I've seen a few people say this process is kinda slow and they have been good enough to explain times for the different steps in the process...

Based on that I see people are talking about full DVD to HD RIPS of 35 and 40 minutes... That tells me that their computers are kinda slow rather than MakeItEasy or the process being slow... I imagine doing a CCE job on their systems must take a full day...

A Fast HD and a P4 can RIP a full DVD in 5 or 6 minutes... I have a P4 2.26GHz with THREE DVD-Roms... I run all three at once Decrypting three movies at once... and even though two of those DVD-Roms are sharing one IDE BUS, I still can do three movies in 15 to 20 minutes...

With a modern computer you really should be able to do the whole process here in an hour... not including burn time of course...

I only mention this so that people with more up to date computers are not put off this great tool because of times associated with some of the slower PC users that have been posting speeds...

MOBO BUS Speed of 400 or better and Pentium Processor is preferred of course for any video crunching applications... I say this even though I am an AMD fan for all other applications, so OverClockers please don't be offended...

Regards... Jeff

dvdRENEGADE
8th February 2003, 16:29
geffroman,
The main reason most people have slow DVD ripping is the fact that they have a slow DVD reader. I have a 16X DVD drive now, but I remember when I had only a 4X....times were tough...hehe.
dvdRENEGADE

LeXXuz
8th February 2003, 16:37
@LeXXuz

I may have found the bug that was causing your problem. Please download the version posted in this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45104&pagenumber=2) and see if it fixes it. The bug's been around for a while in IFOUpdate and got transferred into MakeItEasy when I copied the code.

Nice work. :)
I'll give it a try ASAP.

BTW I test all my DVD backups with Hollywood+ decoder card before burning them to DVD-r. It's a much faster way for testing than burning to -rw everytime. :)

MrWGT
8th February 2003, 18:10
Hi... The main reason most people have slow DVD ripping is the fact that they have a slow DVD reader. I have a 16X DVD drive now, but I remember when I had only a 4X....times were tough...hehe.Or they own a dvd reader which reduces read speed do 2x for video dvds (like my one does)! Data dvd-r 5 could be read with 12x but video DVD 5 only 2x...

2x is not bad for viewing (can't hear drive) but not for ripping... :-(

Gerd

geffroman
8th February 2003, 18:29
The main reason most people have slow DVD ripping is the fact that they have a slow DVD reader. I have a 16X DVD drive now, but I remember when I had only a 4X....times were tough...hehe.

Well that is certainly a problem... $39US would fix that... I used the Ripping number as an example... But in truth the folks that quoted those slow ripping speeds talked about the whole process taking hours... It sure looked like they were running on some old equipment...

I just didn't want other folks to think MakeItEasy and DVD2One were to blame as I didn't see too many posts concerning speed EXCEPT for those that stated it was slow and posted those times...

Just want FOLKS TO KNOW that jdobbs efforts do deliver ready to burn data in an hour UNLESS YOU HAVE SLOW EQUIPMENT...

Regards... Jeff

mpucoder
8th February 2003, 18:36
Well, for comparison, my slowest Athlon (900) takes about 20 minutes for the DVD2One phase. Compare that to 10 hours for ReMPEG2 on that machine. Disk drives can become a factor with a program like this, and that machine has 7200RPM ATA100's.

benny905
8th February 2003, 19:02
Help!!
I failed at last step(step 5).
When I update the ifo file,I get a "Run-Time Error 6".
What is that mean?

jdobbs
8th February 2003, 19:15
@benny905

Your original IFO file is "Read Only" -- you probably copied it directly from the DVD -- change the attribute.

sidders
8th February 2003, 19:17
I can't seem to get the calculations right.

I am using New Version of makeiteasy (0.13) as the padding needed to be large and would have been over 9 files.

I just tried this DVD
Total size: 7.91 GB (8,503,396,352 bytes)
Main Movie Size - 5.07 GB (5,450,360,832 bytes)
Extras - 2.84 GB (3,053,035,520 bytes)

This is the calculation I did to work out the padding:

7.91 / 4.38 x 2.84
This gave an answer of 5.128

So I put in 5200mb as the padding.

I ended up with a DVD this size
5.33 GB (5,727,178,752 bytes)

Any ideas where I went wrong?

Should I be using the mb size or the 'bytes' size?

benny905
8th February 2003, 19:39
@benny905

Your original IFO file is "Read Only" -- you probably copied it directly from the DVD -- change the attribute.

But the original ifo file I just checked is not "Read Only".
:confused:

And I try the new version(1.4),this time I can't pad the vob file.
It shows "Run-Time Error 9".

sidders
8th February 2003, 19:54
OK I've now tried with the DVD above and the new version 0.14
It calculates the padding automatically now, but says that it needs to pad 10544mb

Large, I thought, but I let it go

I then get the error message about exceeding the 9 vob files.

Help!!

I then saw this posted:
Folks, according to my algebra, the most accurate method to determine padding is:

PAD = xtras*VOBS/(4482-xtras) (All calculations done in MBytes)

xtras= how much room you want left for your extras
VOBS= size of main movie vobs (in MBytes)
PAD= What you enter in to MakeItEasy's 'Pad' entry

This gives me a pad value of approx 8900. This still takes me over the 9 vob files allowed, even when increasing the size in version 0.14.

I can work everything else, it's just this calculation that's giving me a headache!

Is this size cobination of movi / extras too big for MakeItEasy to handle, even by allowing the Vob size to go to 1.33gb? Trying to pad this still takes me over the 9 vob files allowed.

drmih
8th February 2003, 21:20
This is not about MakeItEasy but the same process when it fails. I had a title with 19 PGCs made up of 242 Vob-ids, each with one Cell. In all there were 53 Chapters Points throughout the PGCs. MakeItEasy won't process this so what I did was to use vobedit to take an existing *.vob of about the right padding size and 'join' it to produce a vob with an id of 243. I just gave this a VTS id one higher than the existing set and then followed the same process as MakeItEasy by runnning ifoedit to create a new ifo file. Next run dvd2one as normal to encode the files. Afterwards instead of using MakeItEasy to remove the padding just run IfoEdit to strip the new set but remember to uncheck the last vob-id (243 in this case). You end up with a new set which has 1 PGC, 114 Chapters and 242 Cells. This is where the problem occurs because both MakeItEasy and IfoUpdate won't process the files as the say that there are a different number of cell-ids (although there aren't). Therefore use IfoEdit to open the new ifo file and in the PGC1 sub-list double click on the chapters=114 and change it to 50 and save it. That seems to fool IfoUpdate and it updates all of the cells. Everything then works fine.

Hope this helps those with titles with angles and loads of vob-ids that MakeItEasy struggles with.

jdobbs
8th February 2003, 21:50
Well, looks like I "screwed the pooch" on the automatic size calculation. I was actually using the formula above and I while playing with it just before posting I left some goofy test code in... Sorry (again). I was (am) a little burned out on MakeItEasy stuff...

Reposted. That formula comes up with some strange looking results, I've gone back to (overall\4380)*extras and then added 10% for a little space. Hope it works.

Flyer9
8th February 2003, 22:43

I'm using an XP2100, 512MB 2100 RAM, and an ATA-100 60GB drive on my video encoding computer.

1. Ripping to disc. Never takes more than 20 minutes. Are you sure you've enabled DMA and/or ASPI?

2. Padding the files: 10 minutes at the most

3. Process IFOs -- maximum of 10 minutes

4. DVD2one -- about 30 minutes for a full VTS set.

5. Removing padding -- maybe 10 minutes

That is a 1 hour worst case scenario. Of course nothing is going to make the burn go faster no matter how you reauthor it.

jdobbs

JDOBBS

Same exact configuration here = same exact "time" results.

24hourloop
9th February 2003, 03:57
Ok,

I know everybody will think I am clearly insane, but: Any of the file boxes (DVD2ONE source etc.) are black on black for me. I cannot select anything (or maybe I but I just can't see it): Is black-on-black a new color scheme? This is Windowx XP, 2nd edition, GeForce MX 440.

geffroman
9th February 2003, 05:59

With my MSI645 533MHz BUS, P4/2.26, 512MB 2700, ATA-133 Raid 160GB 7200RPM (2ea 80GB), and 16X DVD-Rom you can expect...

1. Ripping to disc. Never takes more than 5 to 8 minutes.

2. Padding the files: 2 minutes at the most

3. Process IFOs -- maximum of 5 minutes

4. DVD2one -- about 18 minutes for a full VTS set.

5. Removing padding -- maybe 5 minutes

Total time approximately 35 Minutes...

Again I say THANKs and KUDOS to jdobbs...

I hope this helps those that read this forum to understand that posts in this thread that referred to slowe speeds were being limited by their authors own hardware...

Regards... Jeff

kolonel
9th February 2003, 08:15
Am i just an idiot or am i missing something ?

I am following the guide from original post and have problems when i get to STEP 6.

When i try to CREATE IFO's, input the source folder, in the progress box nothing is being written to destination.

What am i missing ?

Thanks

geffroman
9th February 2003, 09:50
When i try to CREATE IFO's, input the source folder, in the progress box nothing is being written to destination.

Correct... Nothing would be written during this read as it is referring to VOBs... At this point IFOEdit is reading all your VOBS to create IFOs from them... After it reads all VOBs it will create the IFOs in the folder you designated... (Should have clicked the box to use same folder as VOBs...)

Regards... Jeff

Bluto
9th February 2003, 14:17
Just tried to do R1 Spiderman with latest Makeiteasy - almost worked!! Size is just a little too big at 4.53Gb....

Still, the movie plays perfect from HDD with extras etc..hats off to Jdobbs.

Bluto
10th February 2003, 00:22
OK

Just re-did Spiderman, it was about 200Mb too big, so just added that onto the padding size - came out at 4.33Gb - beauty!

Just kept Eng DD5.1 track - looks superb. Menus work great.

Thanxs once again Jdobbs.:D

benny905
10th February 2003, 05:01
Originally posted by benny905
But the original ifo file I just checked is not "Read Only".
:confused:

And I try the new version(1.4),this time I can't pad the vob file.
It shows "Run-Time Error 9".

I am thinking that -
maybe "WE"(People in Taiwan) use the different version DLL file from yours.
That is why none of "WE" can ever succeed to update ifo.(IfoUpdate is the same)So please suply the dll you included to us,many thanks!!

REDNEK
10th February 2003, 21:03
i made a perfect backup of star wars 2 (fullscreen) with menus.

awsome peace of work jdobbs, thanks.:cool:

geffroman
10th February 2003, 22:06
Is anyone else having problems with chapter points lining up with cell IDs instead of original chapter points after building a backup with all menus...?

Rombaldi
10th February 2003, 22:46
I'm having a really bizzare problem. It will pad/reencode/unpad just
fine. Can rebuild the original disc just fine. But on playback, it
seems to be losing the time codes, if tell it to skip to a specific time on the last chapter, it either goes immediately back to the menu or just hangs.

KeithXP
11th February 2003, 01:00
Originally posted by geffroman
Is anyone else having problems with chapter points lining up with cell IDs instead of original chapter points after building a backup with all menus...?

geffroman -

Yessiree. I am having the same problem. I am searching now to see if there is something I am doing wrong. The chapters are way off. Here's something funny. I can play the folder in WinDVD and the chapters work, but I can build an .img or build a DVD and the chapters don't work. Help someone.

KeithXP

jdobbs
11th February 2003, 05:35
This is perplexing. I've completely disassembled the VOBs before and after padding, encoding, and rebuilding and they are identical at the CELL level. I have to be screwing up the data move into the IFO somewhere. But it doesn't seem to happen in IFOUpdate and I transplanted the same code...

The fact that it works on the hard drive is a good clue but equally confusing -- is that true with everyone? That symptom is typically an indicator of "Get VTS Sector" types of problems. Have you tried doing an IFOEDIT "Get VTS Sectors" before writing and see if it makes any corrections?

geffroman
11th February 2003, 06:41
I get the same symptom on DVD-R or by playing movie with Ifoedit from HD...

Simply put when you create IFOs from VOBs in IFOEdit and then run DVD2One with those IFOs something is happening to the VOBS created by DVD2One that aligns chapter points as per the IFOs being used in the process...

When you move the new VOBs back to original IFOs something in the VOBs seems to be affecting chapter points...

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful as I do NOT know enough about the content of VOB or IFO files to help more...

I know I can do a DVD2One without MakeitEZ then take those new VOBs and replace the source VOBs and have a complete working movie... I am of course OVERSIZED because of the extras but the VOBs do line up with chapters and such...

My thought is This:

What if we simply add a fake sound track to the original movie equal in size to the size of the extras and menus we will be using before running DVD2One...

Then place the new VOBs created by DVD2One into our original Ifo compilation...

Finally we remove that sound track with IFOEdit from the finished VOBs... The complete movie with extras would then fit on one DVD-R...

No processing would have occured that would affect any of the timing issues as we would have been utilizing the original IFOs all thoughout...

Sounds simple and doable to me... Would this be a good approach...?

I am no pro and look for feedback..

Jeff

mpucoder
11th February 2003, 06:57
You need to understand chapters a little better. They are not defined in terms of time or file position, but by VobID/CellID. The vob files have the VobID and CellID embedded into them, while the ifo file then has a table of pointers to the first VOBU of each cell, and chapters are defined in terms of cells within a PGC.
Now, if I haven't lost you yet - using IfoEdit to create ifo files will make one chapter per cell, so if the original had more than one cell in some chapters, you will get more chapters than the original.
The ifo and vob files must remain together, or Get_VTS_Sectors must be run to correct the cell pointers. After transcoding the cell pointers need to be corrected.

DVD2One does not change the VobID/CellID values, but, due to file shrinkage, the sector addresses for each cell do move.

Now, about adding a soundtrack - very difficult. They're easy to remove, but not so easy to add as they need to be interleaved with all the other streams, and necessarily affect the system timing. It's much easier to add padding at the end.

geffroman
11th February 2003, 07:17
Thanks for the education... I did understand what you are saying... I am new but you explain it well...

To further understand this process... How could we ever get chapters to ever be right with the current MakeitEZ procedure...?

We are creating a different ID/Cell/chapter structure than the original movie... so unless by chance the original movie lays out ID/cell/chapter exactly as IFOEdit does when we create IFO prior to running DVD2One, chapters will always be off...

I know you said the sectors move because of shrinkage in DVD2One... Interestingly, my chapters do line up if I don't PAD and unpad with makeiteasy... and no IFOEdit is needed...

Again, if I just run DVD2One as is... and take the resulting VOBs, and add to that all the IFOs and extras from the original RIP I have a working movie (menus, extras and all)... If DVD2One allowed me to simply choose how much I wanted to shrink the movie file rather than assume 4.36, this would all be moot...

It's only after following the MakeItEasy process do I loose chapter alignment...

Again, any input is very much appreciated...

Jeff

I guess after saying all of that it boils down to this... How can I get the IFOs I need without having IFOEdit assign chapters to cells that group under one chapter...?

OR how can I change DVD2One so that it uses a finished movie size of MY CHOOSING...? This would be the best...!

dvdRENEGADE
11th February 2003, 09:45
I've done about 12 backups with MakeItEasy now. The only time I had problems with chapter points was when it still had the remove padding bug. When that happened, I removed the padding with IfoEdit and the resulting DVD compilation wouldn't work properly. Are the people having problems with chapters having them on every single attempt? If so, they're obviously doing something wrong.

jdobbs,
In theory, shouldn't MakeItEasy work for all DVD's except for seamless branching titles?

geffroman & KeithXP,
What DVD's are you having problems with? Does the problem happen every time? Are you using MakeItEasy 0.15?

geffroman
11th February 2003, 09:59
I am using v.15...

I have tried Alien 4 and Horse Soldiers.

My problem is clearly tied to the fact that when creating IFOs with IFOEdit each cell becomes a chapter... Many movies have multiple cells in single chapters...

I don't see how unpadding or updating IFOs is going to reverse that..

Am I wrong...?

Jeff

KeithXP
11th February 2003, 10:10
dvdRENEGADE -

It is quite possible to be a title issue. I have only tried it on one movie - "Ghost" and only twice. It's an older movie, so that could be it.

I am using MakeItEasy v.15.

I will try with different movies and more attempts.

KeithXP

jdobbs
11th February 2003, 11:57
@geffroman

Ignore the fact that IFOEDIT creates a chapter for each cell or that the original has multiple cells per title. MakeItEasy fixes that when it does the final update. You don't use the IFO that was created by IFOEDIT, nor do you use the one created by DVD2one -- you use the original that has the correct VOBID/CELLID/SECTOR pointers in it following the update.

Somebody name more movies that has been problematic, eventually you'll hit one in my collection and I will be able to repeat the problem (if it isn't procedural).

geffroman
11th February 2003, 12:16
jdobbs...

Better yet tell me a popular movie you have already done and I'll try that... I have about 600 to choose from... I am sure I have something you have already tested on your end...

That way I can determine if it ME or not...

Thanks... Jeff

jdobbs
11th February 2003, 16:19
600? You must be a wealthy man! I've been collecting for a long time and I only have a couple of hundred...

The problem is I haven't gotten these errors on any I've done yet -- or I'd be able to debug it.

Chambers
11th February 2003, 16:44
Could it be a region issue?

I'm going to try ET and Unbreakable tonight, wish me luck :)

dvdRENEGADE
11th February 2003, 17:31
geffroman,
Here are a few to try.
Spider-Man, Panic Room, Windtalkers, Harry Potter, Minority Report.
Surely you have 1 of those mainstream movies in your 600+ collection.
dvdRENEGADE

geffroman
11th February 2003, 20:29
Well...

I work.... I get paid... I buy movies... Ha Ha...

Amazing what a job will do for you...

I'll rip a couple of those up tonight and let you know...

Thanks... Jeff

geffroman
12th February 2003, 09:45
Hi guys...

I did Spiderman tonight... It has multiple cells per ID so it seemed to be a good test... It has about 2Gigs of extras... The finished product came out fine... NO errors... Working movie... EXCEPT chapter selection from menu would not work and using IFOEdit as a viewer and trying to advance one chapter at a time did not work...

One thing I learned is that DVD2One is NOT for me if I keep menus... Simply put I am a purist... I want the best possible quality...

I usually split all my movies on a 2 sided disk using a Progressive Scan Sony Juke box for playback which flips the movie when I hit the split... This gives me total convenience, no Re-encoding to wait through, max image quality and all extras and sound tracks...

I think DVD2One is very cool for an old John Wayne movie when the original image quality is so so and the menus are crap anyway...

MakeItEasy is killer... But what MakeItEasy does for me is help me keep all the extras which in affect just KILLS image quality...

My SVCDs look better than what DVD2One did to Spiderman after I reduced it enough to fit the extras...

My solution is to keep making my two sided discs until BlueLaser is here and ONLY use DVD2One on MOVIE only low quality originals...

jdobbs... Thank you so much for MakeItEasy and all the effort you put into it... It does work, short of my chapter issue which I am sure is either me or something else that will be resolved... It is a great tool for those that are watching backups with full menus and are not too picky about image quality or have a very small TV...

You helped me understand fully the limitations of the total technology in accordance with my own personal expectations... I just can't reduce a movie to 2GB, keep all extras and expect a great image...

Thanks again... Jeff

PS: I am thinning out that 600 DVD collection... I hope it is not inappropriate to mention that I have Season 5 and 6 of the X-FILES listed on eBay and they are going cheap... If interested email me privately for more info...

dvdRENEGADE
12th February 2003, 11:56
geffroman,
Your chapter troubles are obviously caused by an error you're making. In step 5 of MakeItEasy, you should be updating the original .ifo that was in the directory with your original .vobs immediately after you ripped them and not the .ifo that's created by ifoedit in step 3. With this process, you should never be copying any .ifo or .bup file from one directory to another. If you're copying the .ifo or .bup from the DVD2One directory or the .ifo or .bup created by ifoedit, you're not doing it right. Your problem has to be with the update .ifo part somehow.
Best wishes,
dvdRENEGADE

-=ViBeZ=-
12th February 2003, 16:47
Quick question about renaming ifo vobs

I'm trying this method on a dvd where the main movie is in VTS_02

Do I need to rename anything? as once i've created the ifo's with ifoedit, i'm left with VTS_01_0.IFO

Do i need to rename the ifo's or vobs, or nothing during all the steps?

thanx in advance

Chambers
12th February 2003, 17:04
Just rename the VOB's to their original names and copy them over to the Orig folder. Then run the update.

discutter
12th February 2003, 17:23
Just a quick one (great prog btw) I have had no problems doing films etc, but I was trying to do buffy the vamp season 2 NTSC do eveything as normal and only one episode will play, all the episodes are in vts 02 different PGC's any ideas? also for single PGC ie star trek TNG, I tired padding each vts then reincorperate ! silly me, any ideas on this one?

Cheers

MR2
12th February 2003, 19:09
My problem is that I keep getting an error message from Nero saying "Required file VTS_01_0X.VOB not present" or something about the IFO and BUP not being identical.

schlaufer
12th February 2003, 19:45
Originally posted by MR2
My problem is that I keep getting an error message from Nero saying "Required file VTS_01_0X.VOB not present" or something about the IFO and BUP not being identical.

Just ignore the "reqired file VTSxxx" message.
For the other warning (IFO and BUP not identical): MakeItEasy does currently not update the .BUP files. Therefore you have to copy the IFO files to the corresponding BUP files by hand.

The results work fine on my PC (WinDVD) as well as on my both standalones: Cyberhome 505 and Lasonic DVD 2000, the latter one being very picky about the media I use.

Toodles
12th February 2003, 19:46
MR2: I've finally conquered that problem. I follow the MakeItEasy guide through step 4 but don't do step 5. MakeItEasy (and IFOUpdate) don't seem make any changes to my ifo's even though they say they do. So, try this instead.

1. Rename unpadded vobs to there proper # and plop back in original folder.

2. In IFOedit open the ifo for that set of vobs. Do VOB Extras and on the left side have only CORRECT VOB-UNIT and CORRECT ORIGINAL IFO FILES checked. After this completes SAVE in original directory.

3. After doing this for each vob set I've done I open Video_ts.ifo in IFOedit and GET VTS SECTORS.

Works for me!

Also during step 2 I sucessful stripped an angle (credits) and no problems.

This morning I did disk 2 of Ice age. DVD2one choked and died on vob6 (5 angles in storyboards) but I think it was a matter of too many chapters in the padded ifo. I downsized my padding and it worked on the 3rd try. After my way of finishing, the angles are all there. I am also not having the chapter problems others are having.

This takes me a little longer but Nero likes it. I've tried all the workarounds to Nero compliance failure and found that none will play correctly in any of my settops so if Nero doesn't like it I don't burn it!

I have an idea for easily incorporating CCE into this procedure. Anyone want to experiment with me?

Sorry to be so longwinded for my 1st post.

Peggy

alanrob
12th February 2003, 19:50
Originally posted by discutter
Just a quick one (great prog btw) I have had no problems doing films etc, but I was trying to do buffy the vamp season 2 NTSC do eveything as normal and only one episode will play, all the episodes are in vts 02 different PGC's any ideas? also for single PGC ie star trek TNG, I tired padding each vts then reincorperate ! silly me, any ideas on this one?

Cheers

I did MASH Season 1 Disk 3 (multi PGC's in the one VTS) and it worked a treat.
Are you sure your following all the steps?

alanrob
12th February 2003, 19:52
Originally posted by MR2

This has been covered al ready in this thread and the solution turned out to be that you have to create an img file uning ImgTools and then burn the img off using DVD Decrypter.

I had this problem until I was kindly told of the above solution :)

MR2
12th February 2003, 20:45
Thanks Toodles I'll give it a go.

And sorry alanrob I really should read ALL the posts :)

-=ViBeZ=-
12th February 2003, 21:08
@Chambers

thanx worked a treat :)

KeithXP
12th February 2003, 21:29
I hope this hasn't been asked in a FAQ somewhere but could my problem be that I use SmartRipper to rip the entire CD instead of DVDecrypter?

KeithXP

Chambers
12th February 2003, 21:53
Keith

Nope, it's just another program doing the same thing

KeithXP
12th February 2003, 23:25
Thanks Chambers!

jdobbs,

Here is another set that has not worked for me: There's Something About Mary I am obviously doing something wrong. The chapters are still messed up.

Is there something else that I should try?

Here's what I did.

1. Ripped movie with Smartripper "all files" to directory named 'Mary'
2. Moved vts_05_x.vob's (except_0) to directory named 'Working' as my DVD2one source directory
3. Determined 790 Mb of extras and let MakeItEasy calculate padding.
4. Padded files
5. Ran IFOedit .95, Create IFOs with these options clicked-
- Create 1 PGC only
- Create Chapter for each Cell
- 1st VOB of TitleSet was 'Working\VTS_05_1.VOB'
- Destination directory of IFO's - SAME as source
6. Renamed VTS_05_X.VOBs to VTS_01_X.VOBs.
7. Ran DVD2One with source directory 'Working', destination 'Working_Dest'
7. Remove Padding on 'Working_Dest' directory
8. Renamed VTS_01_X.VOBs to VTS_05_X.VOBs.
9. Moved VTS_05_X.VOBs to 'Mary' directory
10. Did Update on the VTS_05_0.IFO in the 'Mary' directory
11. Renamed the 'Mary' directory 'VIDEO_TS' and ran in IFOEdit to check

No go. The chapters are all off.

***UPDATE***
Wait a second. The chapters are NOT all off. The chapters after chapter 25 are gone. When I select the last few chapters I cannot go to them. It just freezes. As a matter of fact, the video itself skips and has a lot of blocks for a 1/10th of a second at approximately the same time where chapter 26 should come in. Does this help?

Help me fix my mistakes,
KeithXP

MrWGT
12th February 2003, 23:53
Hi...2. Moved vts_05_x.vob's (except_01) to directory named 'Working' as my DVD2one source directoryYou've to move all VTS_05_X.VOB's (except 0!!!) to a other directory.

Gerd

Chambers
13th February 2003, 01:37
Anyone happen to try Unbreakable R1 yet? I tried it and when I hit update it told me that cells were out of range or something similar, any ideas?

KeithXP
13th February 2003, 01:40
MrWGT -

Woops, I meant except _0! Sorry!

KeithXP

jdobbs
13th February 2003, 01:50
@KeithXP,

Could you go back to the original file and look at the VOBIDs -- does it have IDs that are numbered greater than 70? I think this may be more common than I thought -- and I strip anything 70 or above!

Thanks

goober22
13th February 2003, 03:52
While I have had luck with all so far, tonight I tried "Manhunter" using v.015

It came out with NO sound and the movie jumped all over the place. 2-3 seconds of a scene and then it would jump to another part.

I opened the original IFO and it shows 83 VOB-IDs. (If this helps).

KeithXP
13th February 2003, 03:53
jdobbs -

Yes, the VOBID's went up to 74 in There's Something About Mary.

Thanks,
KeithXP

geffroman
13th February 2003, 04:05
How difficult would it be to program a patch that allows us to simply tell DVD2One a different finished size...?

Any thoughts...?

mpucoder
13th February 2003, 04:18
The next release is due out very soon, and has that ability. see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45737

My advice, for what it's worth, is to hold off on any DVDs that the current MakeItEasy cannot handle and wait for this release.

geffroman
13th February 2003, 05:16
Any Clue as to what SOON is...? Days, Weeks, Months...?

Thanks...

discutter
13th February 2003, 05:27
"Originally posted by MR2
My problem is that I keep getting an error message from Nero saying "Required file VTS_01_0X.VOB not present" or something about the IFO and BUP not being identical."

Update Nero to the new version

Fixes all problems with using the DVD-Video option.. which up untill now has been crap!

cracksloth
13th February 2003, 06:55
i have a somewhat unique problem. i have properly ripped and authored (using dvdmaestro) a dvd containing 3 episodes of stargate sg-1 each having their own vts. because each episode was loaded as its own movie, my final vobs are:
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_02_2.VOB
VTS_03_1.VOB
VTS_03_2.VOB
is there any way to use makeiteasy/dvd2one to properly reduce their size? as i undersatnd it, dvd2one can only handle one vts and no amount of ifoedit-ing will change this. i would truly appreciate any help or advice. if i cannot use makeiteasy, would someone please share how to compress multi-vts vobs in bulk?

-cracksloth

sheppy124
13th February 2003, 12:18
Great Program, Very easy to use, Hit and miss with some flims but otherwise really useful and with excellant results.

My Main question is, i dont think has been answered but if i have missed i apoligise. Is it possible to get all the menus and extras if the extras are bigger than the film and how to do it. For example ice age extras are 7gb and film is about 2.25gb if logical, your not going to reduce the main film to fit that much on. There is a few films i would like to backup but can not due to the extras.

any help would be appreciated

sheppy

MR2
13th February 2003, 13:38
discutter

Thanks, I've just done it.

cracksloth

http://www.dvd2dvdr.com/Episode_Guide.htm

Chambers
13th February 2003, 13:41
Originally posted by sheppy124
Great Program, Very easy to use, Hit and miss with some flims but otherwise really useful and with excellant results.

My Main question is, i dont think has been answered but if i have missed i apoligise. Is it possible to get all the menus and extras if the extras are bigger than the film and how to do it. For example ice age extras are 7gb and film is about 2.25gb if logical, your not going to reduce the main film to fit that much on. There is a few films i would like to backup but can not due to the extras.

any help would be appreciated

sheppy

Run DVD2One and Makeit Easy on the extras then, follow the same procedure and it should work

discutter
13th February 2003, 16:54
MR2

With that link above

how do you select episodes, it just plays them through in sequence

MR2
13th February 2003, 17:16
From how I understand it you can't, you are just joining all the episodes together and they play one after the other.

The only other way to do it is to rip seperate M2V & AC3 files for each episode and transcode them, then author with something like Spruce.

mike4692
13th February 2003, 19:47
jdobbs , here are 2 film which I have had probs with useing make it easy ,
black hawk down and training day

they play ok in ifoedit, but when I go to burn them it will only burn the data that hasnt been tampered with , I get the message "update successfull" when I go to step 5 but the burn issue is getting me down , I tried burning with dvd decryter and created an image as alanrob suggested , it was still the same only burning the un tampered data ???????

there may be a simple answer, but I cant see it , does any one have this problem or know how to cure it , thanks in advance :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chambers
13th February 2003, 20:50
You sure the image isn't over the threshold of a DVD? He made an image that was too large and didn't realize it, kept giving him errors at the end of the burn

goober22
13th February 2003, 21:58
Originally posted by goober22
While I have had luck with all so far, tonight I tried "Manhunter" using v.015

It came out with NO sound and the movie jumped all over the place. 2-3 seconds of a scene and then it would jump to another part.

I opened the original IFO and it shows 83 VOB-IDs. (If this helps).

Just to follow-up on my posting...

I re-ripped the disc to my HD. The movie is 5 vobs in VTS1. I ran each vob thru PowerDVD. 2-5 play fine BUT #1 plays just like my copy came out - all wrong.

I figured out that the 1st 2/3 of the vob is the trailer looped. The last 1/3 is the movie which plays to the point that vob #2 picks up. There is no sound played with vob 1 however. But, 2-5 play fine. The trailer (with sound) is in VTS5.

If I copy just the movie to a dvdr, it plays okay. I don't know enough about these to guess what is going on, just passing it along. :confused:

Hicky
13th February 2003, 22:14
Regged 5 days ago..
Urghh..5 days can be a pain sometimes...
Many thanks for your big effort jdobbs, genius little app, keep it up..

I got one major problem though, I cant get it to work..

I ripped Star Wars Episode 1, followed the guide thouroughly..

Tools I used: DVD Decrypter 3.1.4.0 - MakeItEasy 0.15 - DVD2one 1.0.0

1:Ripped the whole dvd disc to dvd original folder.
2:Moved the main movie vob`s to the source folder.
3:Ran MakeItEasy step 2, 100% sure I did it right..
4:Opened ifoedit and made a new ifo set for the vob`s in the source folder.
5:Ran DVD2one and processed the vob`s in the source folder.
Here I choosed 2ch audio, and Norwegian subs..
6:Removed padding in the DVD2one destination folder.
7:Moved the padded vob`s from the destination folder to the dvd original folder, and updated the ifo`s as stated in MakeItEasy step 5..
8: Burned with Nero 55107 (UDF2.01/ISO mode..)

When I start to play the movie, be it the dvd-r or from hd, it starts up way out in the movie, I enter the menu and hit the play button, it starts out ok, but in the usual opening sequense of Star Wars, when you see the text rolling from the bottom of the screen and up and away into "space", its being showed in all (sub)languages of the original movie one after each other,
as I wrote previously, I only choosed Norwegian in the DVD2one step, then when the Lucas Arts screen shows up, the movie stops playing, I can go into the menu and switch to another chapter though..

I must do something wrong..But what?
Any advice, highly apprecited..

free2go
13th February 2003, 22:48
Hicky, same here. I tried with all sound tracks and all
subtitles.

Before Star Wars Episode 1, I've successfully copy 5
titles that range from 90-310 minutes.

Edited:
It is caused by 3-angle on Star Wars Episode 1's intro.
Using ifoedit to delete other 2 angle VOBID fix the problem.

rishardc
13th February 2003, 23:53
Originally posted by discutter
MR2

With that link above

how do you select episodes, it just plays them through in sequence

MR2 States it correctly. You don't select the episodes. It basically thows them one right after another and lets you use DVD2ONE to shrink them down to one disk. I figured that no one would have a need to keep the episodes seperated. If you wanted to do that for some reason, you might be able to do it pending on if the dvd's are in what I can strand or non strand. If they are non strand then each set of vob's makes up an episode and then you cna pick and choose.

Flyer9
14th February 2003, 02:24
-- when you see the text rolling from the bottom of the screen and up and away into "space", its being showed in all (sub)languages of the original movie one after each other --

Hi, Hicky:
not long ago I had the same problem with SWII - intro in all languages. It turns out that those are "trickier" movies. I ran a search in the forums for "Attack of the Clones" and a member had posted a workaround for that problem. Something like: copy the original vt_01_1.vob from the DVD over the "stripped one". Can't remember exactly (I have the instructions at home, but am at work now ;)). So, do the search and you will probably find it. If not, send me a mail and I will try to digg it for you.
Good luck.

geffroman
14th February 2003, 06:08
Star Wars intro has several angles for different languages...

Just strip out the angles (languages) you don't want with IFOEdit by removing the VOB IDs associated with the unwanted angles...

Then just process the movie as you want...

Regards... Jeff

dexterkitty
14th February 2003, 08:03
After running thru the process, everything plays fine with PowerDVD. When I try to burn the DVD with GEAR, I get "Load Error VTS_xx_0.IFO File cannot be loaded at address (xxxx) because the address is already occupied. First available load address is xxxxxx."

When I try to burn with Prassi, it tells me the media is bad. There is nothing wrong with media.

I have tried correcting the IFOs with infoedit with no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks.

forty4487
14th February 2003, 08:43
jdobbs, just wanted to ask if I/someone could make an offical guide for the guides section with everything, instead of just the one sitting in here. wanted to just say thanks alot for the program and all, it's real sweet, backed up about 10 movies in one day with it. don't want to over step any, but i'd be willing on making screen shot guide basedon your instructions for here if you wanted to at all, anyway, just reply to my post if ya are interested at all

billmclelland
14th February 2003, 14:27
Thanks for this its a fantastic addon for an already great prog, keep it up.

Ratmith
15th February 2003, 00:16
Foryt4487 you have a good idea. make a guide cuz its hard to follow all the posts lol.

later,

Rat

free2go
15th February 2003, 03:36
Originally posted by dvdRENEGADE
jdobbs,
Thanx for the great work with IfoUpdate and now MakeItEasy.

I just completed Spider-Man with your new method and it worked like a charm. Will you be adding the "Transfer Time Map" option in an upcoming version? Without it, the slider within PowerDVD won't function properly.
Thanks again, dvdRENEGADE

I've done 5 titles with makeiteasy 0.15. All of them work ok on
setop player, and none of them work with software dvd player slider:
if you move a little of the slider, the player will jump to middle.
if you move slider at the middle, it jump back to menu selection.
tested on WinDVD v3.x under win2K and XP.

@dvdRENEGADE, have you found walk around to fix this problem?
Does "Transfer Time Map" function available in ifoedit or ifoupdate?

Originally posted by dvdRENEGADE

@LeXXuz

I may have found the bug that was causing your problem. Please download the version posted in this thread and see if it fixes it. The bug's been around for a while in IFOUpdate and got transferred into MakeItEasy when I copied the code.

@jdobbs, please fix the "Transfer Time Map" problem on makeiteasy 0.16 :) Great job done on makeiteasy!

FumJum
18th February 2003, 00:38
How do you do Multi-angled DVDs with this method. I tried to do Enemy of the State which has 2 angles and when my project came out it layered both angles on top of one another so it would play a little of angle on and then jump back to angle 2. which made the final product hell to look at.

edjanx
18th February 2003, 02:23
All,

After many attempts to get the entire Animal House DVD-9 to fit on one DVD-5 with working chapter pointers, I decided to try Make It Easy. The problem I had before was spending hours reducing both the "movie" and 45 minute "reunion" feature via IfoEdit and CCE, to have none of the chapters align properly. I was fortunate enough to read this thread before trying the Make It Easy, as I saw folks were also having chapter issues. I tried Toodle's approach, and it worked flawlessly!!!! It may provide a clue as to the root problem. Toodles, I took the Liberty to reword/(hopefully) clarify your process.

JC, thanks so much for this program! F those ignorant bastards who have taken shots at you. As I am an unemployed usability analyst, I would also be happy to donate my time to work with Help Files, wording, etc. on any last release you might consider.

Kind Regards,
Ed Janx

<b>Alternate Process:

1. Follow the MakeItEasy guide through step 4 but don't do step 5.
MakeItEasy (and IFOUpdate) don't seem make any changes to my ifo's even though they say they do. So, try this instead.

2. Place treated files (VTS_01_xx.VOB, but if not, rename unpadded vobs to their proper VTS_yy_xx.VOB #) back
into original ripped folder. (Also during step 2 I sucessful stripped an ANGLE (credits) and had no problems).

3. In IFOedit open the IFO for that set of vobs. Do VOB Extras and on the left side
have only CORRECT VOB-UNIT and CORRECT ORIGINAL IFO FILES checked.

4. After this completes SAVE in original directory.

5. After doing this for each vob set I've done I open Video_ts.ifo in IFOedit and GET VTS SECTORS. </b>

OsirisMedia01
18th February 2003, 05:43
G'day all

Look Ive been using Ifoedit 0.95, make it easy0.14 and DVD2One 1.0

Anyway for some reason I get to step3 and do create VOBS, on
- Create 1 PGC only
- Create Chapter for each Cell
and when it comes time to UseDVD2One, I do all that, but for some reason dvd2one generates the error

"Cannot read, Vobtileset(x) etc"
Then OPeration sucessful and yes it doesnt actually do anything

What could be producing that cannot read vobtile set?
I have looed through these pages and see alot of thigs need to renamed etc, hell I dont think thats for the step im up to but I tried, them im really running out of things to try here. Any Ideas?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dvdRENEGADE
18th February 2003, 05:49
@OsirisMedia01

You need to rename the .vob's to VTS_01_?.VOB no matter which title set was used. Rename the files output by DVD2ONE back to their original names when it completes. BTW, there's a newer version of MakeItEasy.
Good luck,
dvdRENEGADE

OsirisMedia01
18th February 2003, 05:54
Thanks mate, I just realised that about 3 mins ago after I made a new set of IFOs for the 10th time, ah lack of sleep dulls the senses so much.

Cheers, all, very helpful forum, can learn alot just by reading past peoples mishaps or mistakes.

ThaMan
18th February 2003, 10:42
Is it possible to leave for instance the extra's out.. but keep only the menu.

For instance i have

VTS_01_0.VOB = 64kb
VTS_01_1.VOB = 439mb ----> extra

VTS_04_0.VOB = 160mb ----> menu

VTS_04_1.VOB etc = 5,4gb --> main movie

Let us say i deleted from the ORIGINAL dir, VTS_01_1.VOB and all of its ifo's and bups etc.
But i keep the VIDEO_TS.ifo file and Keep the VTS_04_0.VOB (menu) files.

And i place in padding 160mb
and now i do all the rest with dvd2one and remove padding etc...

Will this work or am i goin to have a corrupt dvd ?

Will Hay
18th February 2003, 15:20
Originally posted by gatorlost
...however, (there's always one of those) when i tried to
burn it with nero i got the following error msg

"Backup file VTS_01_0.BUP
should be identical to VTS_01_0.ifo
dvd video compliance test failed"

I never had any luck with Nero...
....switched to Prassi PrimoDVD and never had problems.
Will

jdobbs
18th February 2003, 15:31
Damn.

I posted a new version of MakeItEasy and never fixed the .BUP problem. Before writing to DVD-R you have to copy the updated IFO file to the BUP. They are supposed to be identical, but when I update the IFO I forgot to do the copy in the software.

MR2
18th February 2003, 16:42
DVD2One v1.0.1 out now !!

http://www.dvd2one.com/

I suppose that's the end of MakeItEasy.

jdobbs
18th February 2003, 17:06
Good. But you'll see that you still can't make a full DVD backup with DVD2one without some help from IFOEdit and IFOUpdate.

OsirisMedia01
19th February 2003, 05:22
Hey hey this sounds like what I was going to ask

WHats this about the IFO and the BUP? because even with Imagetool I keep getting the same error message
How exactly do I fix and correct this probelem???

OsirisMedia01
19th February 2003, 05:57
Anyone
how do I solve this problem that jdobbs speaks of?

jdobbs
19th February 2003, 22:57
I assume you mean the IFO/BUP problem. Just copy the IFO you updated (with MakeItEasy) to the BUP in the directory before burning.

Example DOS command:

copy VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_01_0.BUP

That's all...

ThaMan
20th February 2003, 08:07
Originally posted by ThaMan

For instance i have

VTS_01_0.VOB = 64kb

Let us say i deleted from the ORIGINAL dir, VTS_01_1.VOB and all of its ifo's and bups etc.

Anybody ?

2COOL
20th February 2003, 08:26

For instance i have

VTS_01_0.VOB = 64kb

This is what I would do...

Blank DVD-R Size minus "extras" size = Size value for inputting into DVD2One.
4.36GB - 439 MB = 3.92 GB or 3921MB.

1. Input 3921 MB into DVD2One 1.0.1 as your new size for your movie.
2. After DVD2One is done, rename your new VOBs to VTS_04.
3. Remove all your original movie VOBs and drag your new VOBs over.
4. Use IFOupdate to correct chapter points.
5. Use IFOedit to disable your bonus materials button in your main menu or you can use a new program called MenuEdit. Do a forum search for MenuEdit for download link.

DaRipper
20th February 2003, 08:31
I created this guide to make it easy on everyone. I hope it will help some of you guys out.

http://www.dvd2dvdr.com/DVD2one_Guide_Menu.htm

-DaRipper

edjanx
20th February 2003, 22:08
MakeItEasy Guide
I created this guide to make it easy on everyone. I hope it will help some of you guys out.

http://www.dvd2dvdr.com/DVD2one_Guide_Menu.htm

-DaRipper

Great Guide! Attached is a spreadsheet that can be used to calculate the math you descibed.

Kind Regards,
Ed Janx

PS, as of 2/24, I updated the calculator to display the correct color code value in the first TAB example, the Bourne Identity.

ThaMan
20th February 2003, 22:38
Thankx M8,
Still a few thing to clear up though...
2. So i only Rip the Main Movie & the 0 Vob (menu) to HD ?
How? Just By pressing
1st.GET VTS SECTORS
2nd.MAKE REGION FREE
3rd.UPDATE IFO FILE ???
i guess leave the options as they are?

If i have done that, i have to replace the original IFO with my authored IFO file ?

Thankx for that MenuEdit Prog, must ik update the ifo again after doin some mods on the menu vob?

Thankx alot if you would reply, so i can start rippin again :o)

2COOL
20th February 2003, 23:39
2. So i only Rip the Main Movie & the 0 Vob (menu) to HD ?

How? Just By pressing
1st.GET VTS SECTORS
2nd.MAKE REGION FREE
3rd.UPDATE IFO FILE ???
i guess leave the options as they are?

First of all, if your original menu VOBs were not VTS_01 then you have to rename your VOBs in your DVD2One folder accordingly. You can move it to your original movie folder before or after IFOupdating. It doesn't matter. As long as your VTS is named properly.

Now for your small guide on IFOupdate.
In Backup IFO path, you can put this in any folder you want. If you can't decide, just put it in your DVD2One movie folder.

if i have done that, i have to replace the original IFO with my authored IFO file ?

No, the only files you replace is your movie VOBs. I would just either move your original movie VOBs to another folder or just delete them before copying your DVD2One VOBs over.

OsirisMedia01
21st February 2003, 05:19
wow can we add this to the guides
this page has been very very helpful.

Thanks guys. I was wanting to do exactly what he has been after :)

ThaMan
21st February 2003, 10:28
Thankx alot m8, so i guess the 438mb on extra's will be deleted by MenuEdit or must i delete them from the original folder.

2COOL
21st February 2003, 10:36
Keep in mind OsirisMedia01 that the size I used, 3921 MB, was specifically for ThaMan's movie. Look at my previous post on how I arrived at his endsize value for DVD2One 1.0.1. If you want to do it like his way, you can use the same formula.

Oh by the way, just for me, I'm going to stop talking about this method in this thread as it has nothing to do with MakeItEasy. Seems we were straying off the path for a while. ;)

ThaMan
21st February 2003, 10:51
Np m8.. shall page ya that question
and then i know all m8

Massive thankx for all

ArcticFox
22nd February 2003, 17:59
Originally posted by 2COOL

First of all, if your original menu VOBs were not VTS_01 then you have to rename your VOBs in your DVD2One folder accordingly. You can move it to your original movie folder before or after IFOupdating. It doesn't matter. As long as your VTS is named properly.

Now for your small guide on IFOupdate.
In Backup IFO path, you can put this in any folder you want. If you can't decide, just put it in your DVD2One movie folder.

No, the only files you replace is your movie VOBs. I would just either move your original movie VOBs to another folder or just delete them before copying your DVD2One VOBs over.

thats not working for me mate, i followed it to the tee, but when i put it in dvd player it wont play, do i have to copy the vts 1 ifo and bup for it to work? or do i need to modify any other file? cause PrimoDVD keeps chucking teh cd out with errors (wont even start to write yet it copies other films that arent done this way fine)

ArcticFox
24th February 2003, 18:10
come on please, i cant get it working

VidHack
24th February 2003, 18:49
I dont want to really 'thread jump' but a quick question reguarding the future of your app. Since the release of DVD2one 102, your apps future is in question, so I have a special request. Could you port some of your code into another app? You see, your VOB ID switching code could be rolled into another app the DVD backup community needs. You can currently use a hex editor or IFOedit in 'join clips' mode to stream change a VOB ID. This has limitations. IFOedit incrementally adds a vob id number to the next incomming vob stream. You have already mastered this code. So, an app that would let us specify the VOB id on all Titlesets would would nice. This is needed for the Maestro compile- It always yields a VOB id of 1, so if you want to split out a multi-pgc title and then re-author it back, to say, VOB ID 2, it is currently a manual tedious effort. Sorry for the cross thread... Thank you for your app.

VidHack

CRoNiXX
23rd March 2003, 23:30
Is it normal that MIE takes some time to complete step 2?
cuz I Can't seen if it's making progress or not, so It looks like I'm waiting for nothing... :)

thnx in advance

btw, seems like a great tool (Y)!!

DOH!! I left the vts_0*_0.VOB in the dir :):D
I can see the progress thingy going now :)
hehehe

sorry my bad... :) hehe

jdobbs
23rd March 2003, 23:34
MakeItEasy kind of lost it's intended usefulness back when DVD2one 1.0.2 came out -- but now that the new version with 1:1 copying exists it really has no purpose.

CRoNiXX
23rd March 2003, 23:36
hey man I'm just gonna use your tool cuz I'm too lazy to read the other tutorials :) now I finally kinda get MIE so Imma use it :):D:D

whenever I feel like learning a new (perhaps easier) way I'll do that!

for now.. it's MIE for me!