PDA

View Full Version : Kare Kano US DVD Subtitle woes

triffid
3rd February 2003, 23:09
If you've watched the DVD with full subtitling on, you'll see that it is cutting-edge, using (i'm assuming) strange workarounds to locate text subtitles all over the screen in order to translate writing in the video (without overlaying their own, as in ADV's Nadesico). Right Stuf knew what they were doing, but that makes it a nightmare to rip the subs. PGC1 ripped fine, with working subtitles, but in PGC2 I cannot seem to get it to work. Vobsub creates empty .sub files, and Sub Rip works fine till the end of the intro theme song and synopsis of previous episode, then errors and tells me that it is probably encrypted.

I've had plenty of experience with subtitles, but have been lucky enough to never have anything like this happen, so my troubleshooting attempts (reripping the DVD with different settings, including straight file mode without stream processing, then trying subrip and vobsub again) have all failed. If anyone has experience to lend, please help out. And if you have the DVD (His and Her Circumstances volume 1), it would be easy to duplicate my problem, if it comes to that.

I have used SmartRipper and DVD Decrypter, planning to try vstrip next. Using Vobsub 2.23 and the latest Sub Rip (just got it).

thanks
-triffid

Shamanis
4th February 2003, 13:59
I have had a similar problem with Subrip. It seems that it does not like to read past the end of each VTS_xx_x.VOB file. Each time it hits the end it reports that the file may be encrypted (its not). This problem did not exist on verion 1.06, but does for 1.14 & 1.15.

Anyone know of this? Is it trying to read past the end of the VOB file like i suspect? Discs are all PAL R4.

Platin
13th February 2003, 22:35
Hi, I have Kare Kano dvd1 and 2, and for some reason i started to rip dvd2. I'm doing the CCE encoding right now and converting the subtitle files at the same time. I'm following the "Full DVD ripping" guide and using DoItFast4U, that made the ripping of the subtitles for me. I think it used VobSub v2.23 for the ripping. None of the PGCs gave 0 bytes sub-files (except for the PGC with end-credits and I had mistakenly clicked for closed caption which gave me alot of 0 byte CC files).

Btw, in the readme-pdf-file of DoItFast4U they strongly recommend you do an iso-image of the dvd with DVD Decryptor first, and then mounting the iso-image with Daemon-tools. In fact, they say there have been reports of failed subs ripping when not doing so.

Hope this helped.

lonedriftr
16th February 2003, 07:43
Why do you want to rip the subtitles to text format? I'm a fan of being able to manipulate the subtitles on DVD's but sometimes it's not worth it.

In cases like Excel Saga and Kare Kano there are extra subtitles that were put in using different fonts and various x/y axis locations. When ripping these with any subtitle OCR program, you're going to have to redo them and in this case it's too much work.

I'd suggest using vobsub to create a sub file which keeps the tracks you want and since the subtitles are well made, it's a good solution to me.

toolman2k
16th February 2003, 23:50
Originally posted by Shamanis
I have had a similar problem with Subrip. It seems that it does not like to read past the end of each VTS_xx_x.VOB file. Each time it hits the end it reports that the file may be encrypted (its not). This problem did not exist on verion 1.06, but does for 1.14 & 1.15.

Anyone know of this? Is it trying to read past the end of the VOB file like i suspect? Discs are all PAL R4.

yes i always have that problem !! it can only go on if you click OK ...but its really annoying.....i noticed that it only has it when I ripped from a mounted decrypter ISO, if i rip from files obtained via IFO or FILE mode all goes fine....weird.

triffid
20th February 2003, 19:52
Ripping to text isn't really the issue with this dvd, which I have pretty much given up on. I'll try ripping the ISO image and working with that. My point was that, no matter what tool I tried, I could not get the subs to rip properly on ep 2+. Vobsub gives me 0 byte .sub files and subrip bails about 1/4 of the way through the 2nd episode, telling me that the subtitle stream may be encrypted (this is working with vobs ripped with DVDDecrypter, Smartripper, and Vstrip).

As I am still kinda a newbie with subtitle problems, I just tried everything I had and nothing worked. Maybe I'll have better results with a mounted ISO, as Platin said, even though I haven't heard of using that method when ripping to encode to mpeg4.

-triffid

Shamanis
22nd February 2003, 11:55
toolman2k,

Thanks for that info. I didn't try ripping direct from the HDD. Still it is annoying, as my program mounts ISOs with D-Tools and rips everything from that. If it weren't for that little bug, you could click go, come back 8hrs later and have all files (chapters, subs, mpegs, audio etc) ready for import into Maestro. Oh well.

Shuichiro
26th February 2003, 09:37
Hi.

I have the same problem here!
I also tried Vobsub but it only could do eps1 from disc 2.
What I found out is that sometimes if u jump to next subtitle at the beginning u get to the dialogue.

Anyone tried older versions of subrip to get them ripped?
Or found out another method already to get those subs?
If anyone have them already, can he/she please send them to me?

Thanx for all help.
shui

WyldeF1r3
15th March 2003, 17:19
(sorry for reviving an old thread, but it doesn't look solved) I've encountered this problem also with KKnJ dvds and most recently FLCL dvd2 ep4. Subrip says the file is encrypted, VSRip gives the error
ERROR: Length of F:\vts_01_0.vob is not n*2048!
ERROR: Nothing found! (F:\vts_01_*.vob)

The way I've found to get around this is to use VobSub to index the files and BMPs. Then open subresync and open the .sub file, then save as .srt. You'll have to go through the whole SubRip ocr bit, but it reads everything fine. I just finished extracting the subs from FLCL, so I don't see why it won't work for KKnJ and other similar instances

Shuichiro
15th March 2003, 22:18
With KareKano DVDs u can rip the subs with DoItFast4U. It worked for me. U get the subs as .idx & .sub file which u can convert if u want to. But I leave them cuz they inlude all subs I need :)

It is sure extra work cuz u must rip as ISO again and then let DoItFast4U make the work for u.

Yusaku
18th March 2003, 14:08
Another way to go around new VobSub's PGC processing failures is to use older vobsubs - see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46848
Unfortunately for me, PGC processing created more problems than it solved, so I keep two VobSub versions installed now ;). If I free some disk space, I'll try it with KKNJ1 US DVD, but I'm 95% sure it'll work...