PDA

View Full Version : bmp or OCR ?

toolman2k
2nd February 2003, 13:04
hi all,

do you guys rip to bmps or to text ? what is the best/fastest to do and why ?

i know theres an option for it in subrip but i never used it.should I ?

rolonzos2
3rd February 2003, 09:13
I've found VOB sub works really well for images rather than text, but for text subs I always use Subrip. I suppose BMPs might be easy in subrip, but I don't see how they could be easier than using VOB sub.

So if anyone with experience answers this question, could you let us know if BMPs with subrip are better (or easier) than VOB sub?

lamer_de
3rd February 2003, 14:35
Well, I only rip to text, otherwise it would be best to keep the vob stream and diplay it via direct Vob sub. IMHO bmp are only usefull if you re-author DVDs (??). Drawback on the textsub is that you should check the subs manually, the error correction/OCR routine still isn't 100% (but it's very good). Advantages are smaller size, free font selection etc.

CU,
lamer_de

triffid
4th February 2003, 00:15
OCR will look better even if burned in, due to the higher resolution of the fonts. Also, I've found that Vobsub comes with a tool called SubResync (you run it on the Vobsub idx/sub) that is better at OCR than SubRip. It cannot do italic/underline, but it can tell l's from I's and 1's somehow, and proofreading finds about 1 error every 20minutes or so, usually a spacing problem. I recommend this strongly.