PDA

View Full Version : Italics Bold & Underline tags in Subrip : Which programs recognise them ?

iparout
31st January 2003, 13:52
Hi.

I have benn using SubRip to create .srt files with OCR and I am facing the following problem : When I select a word to be presented in Italics, Bold, or Underlined, although the appropriate tags are put before and after the word, DirectVobSub cannot recognize them and displays the tags while playback.

Is it a known problem ? Are there any programs out there that will playback the .srt file showing the subtitles properly (with Italics and Bold)?

Thanks.

Liisachan
31st January 2003, 14:29
well, at least for me, AVI/OGM + SRT with <i> tags
works fine with DirectVobsub.

plus, OggDS can also handle <i> tags etc. in a srt muxed in OGM,
(but not <font> tags.)

i m not sure about bold --<b> tags--.
i suppose VobSub and/or OggDS know <b> tags,
but a <b> has no noticeable effects afaik,
probably because sub is in bold by default...

If you are not happy with your SRT after all, you may want to convert it into SSA.
DirectVobsub knows how to render SSA too, where you can use italic,
or Extra Bold font for some specific words.
(If needed. you could even set font-color font-size font-face etc. for each letter/word with SSA, both in softsub and hardsub :) )

lamer_de
31st January 2003, 14:40
BSPlayer for example can show bold/italic/underline out of srts for sure

CU,
lamer_de

iparout
31st January 2003, 14:52
Originally posted by Liisachan

well, at least for me, AVI/OGM + SRT with <i> tags
works fine with DirectVobsub.

plus, OggDS can also handle <i> tags etc. in a srt muxed in OGM,
(but not <font> tags.)

i m not sure about bold --<b> tags--.
i suppose VobSub and/or OggDS know <b> tags,
but a <b> has no noticeable effects afaik,
probably because sub is in bold by default...

If you are not happy with your SRT after all, you may want to convert it into SSA.
(If needed. you could even set font-color font-size font-face etc. for each letter/word with SSA, both in softsub and hardsub :) )

Hmmmm... Interesting. I wonder why DirectVobSub displays the subtitles with the tags on my machine... What version od DVobsub have you got. I have 2.18.

Originally posted by Liisachan

Really ? You mean that even if the subs are permanently encoded onto the movie, you can still change font size and color... That sound unlikely to me... Are you sure ?

Liisachan
31st January 2003, 16:24
@iparout

You mean that even if the subs are permanently encoded onto the movie, you can still change font size and color...
of course not.
you are supposed to have (1) unsubbed avi + (2) sub data in another file; like,

movie_name.avi (unsubbed)
movie_name.srt (english sub)

if you are talking about hard-encoded sub, you cannot change it anyway. you cannot make it italic nor bold, unless you are a really agressive encoder who will edit movie frame-by-frame.:cool:

if[/b] you encode with subbing filter (like textsub) by yourself, -- is what i meant.
textsub filter for vdub is included in Vobsub, fyi

iparout
19th March 2004, 16:14
Sorry to bring back this year old thread, however, although BSPlayer correctly displays italics/bold/underlined words when playing the srt file, WMP 9 still does not display those words in italics, it just shows the <i> tags while playing the movie...

I would use BSPlayer to playback my movies, however I prefer how WMP displays the srt subtitles on screen (bold letters with shadow behind them that can be tweaked anytime through DirectVobSub in the taskbar. With BSPlayer, there's no DirectVobSub in the taskbar. The subtitles can only be tweaked by right clicking --> Subtitles, however the options there don't come even close to what DirectVobSub offers...

How is it possible to load DirectVobSub in the taskbar while playing the file with BSPlayer ? Or make the <i></i> tags work in WMP ?

Thanks.