PDA

View Full Version : DVD, Subtitles, MPC and choppiness!!!

Mahler_seele
31st January 2003, 10:20
I tried watching a DVD with subtitles using MPC. Yes, it does work but something is really strange...

To be able to watch a DVD with subtitles the player needs to use the VMR7 or VMR9 video renderers. I tried both of them but they make the video very choppy (jerkiness?), and it's unwatchable!!

What can I do to make the thing run smoother?

By the way, I do have Windows XP and DirectX9 installed, so it's not that. Here below I have put some of my machine specs in case it has something to do with that:

Pentium 4 1.6Ghz
Windows XP with SP1 and DirectX9
ATI mobility Radeon 7500 graphx card

Someone please help me....or if there's any other way to watch a DVD (without ripping it into the hard drive) it would also be extremely helpful!

Thank you for reading

gabest
31st January 2003, 14:32
Do you experience choppiness with or even without subtitles? How much is the cpu usage? Is antialiasing enabled or overriden somewhere at your card's display properties? Is the "number of subpictures to buffer" set to more than 0 in the options?

Mahler_seele
31st January 2003, 16:33
I disabled the VOBsub filter and the image gets less choppy with VMR7, it's almost perfect (VMR9, on the other hand, it's still very choppy)...however , in that way, it can't show subtitles!! (I mean, without the VoBsub filter, it doesn't...right?!).

The CPU usage oscilates between 85 to 92, dunno why.
The "number of subpictures to buffer" is set to 3 so I don't think that's the problem.

Can you please give me an exact guide about how to see subtitles with MPC? What has to be activated, how and what options should be selected?

Thank you again for everything!

gabest
31st January 2003, 20:25
There are two ways to load subtitles, using dvobsub OR using mpc's own subtitling with the VMR7/VMW9 renderers. Do not use both because that doubles the perfomance hit, dvobsub copies the picture an additional time OR when using mpc and the VMR renderers the picture is converted to rgb before applying the subtitles. The first shouldn't be a problem if you have a p4, but the yuv->rgb conversion can really slow things down if your video card can't do it fast enough. There is one more way to speed it up a little with mpc, if you reduce the resolution of the textures (to 800x600 or 640x480), but that only counts if you have a huge desktop area.