PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles for 16:9 movie in Scenarist

tomeczek
30th January 2003, 20:06
I created set of subtitles for Scenarist project of the 16:9 ratio movie, using MaestroSBT. I imported the subtitles to Scenarist - no problem here. The simulation worked great!
I came to the point to generate the DVD structure - and it Failed :mad:
Here is what I got in the Information window:

Info Creating DVD Files
Error Display Mode of Language Polish shall have at least one wide and letterbox setting.
Error Validate from DB failed
Error DVD files could not be created

Is it MaestroSBT that creates wrong subtitle bitmaps for 16:9 project? :confused:
(Without subtitles Scenarist generates proper DVD structure and the same set of subtitles works OK with 4:3 movie).

Has anyone of you experienced this problem before? Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

zuggy
31st January 2003, 08:10
---Error Display Mode of Language Polish shall have at least one wide and letterbox setting.

Each subtitle stream have its attribute when called from IFO (4:3, wide, letterbox or pan&scan).

I'm just guessing, but you should try to find this setting in Scenarist and change it from 4:3 to wide or letterbox. The question is, can this be changed in Scenarist?

tomeczek
31st January 2003, 14:45
Thanks zuggy!
I tried to change Sub-Picture's Display mode to "Wide" (and also all variations of "Wide/Letter/Pan") and Scenarist gives me following error message:

Error Cannot set display mode to Wide or Letterbox or Pan-scan because video(still) is 4x3

That makes me think that MaestroSBT creates subtitle bitmaps not suitable for 16:9 movies...

Anyone ever tried to create 16:9 subtitle bitmaps in MaestroSBT?
Are there any parameters to be changed in .ssa file (input for MaestroSBT)?

oddyseus
31st January 2003, 17:24
u r wrong.

U defined the still picture to be 4:3 whereas u should have it 16:9. That is why u cann't set wide mode.

tomeczek
31st January 2003, 18:11
I could be wrong, and I possibly am, but...

Here is my way of thinking:

--- I generated subtitle bitmaps (.sst) using MaestroSBT. I didn't see any parameters regarding the size of the bitmap file. When I view those files in MS Paint, they seem to be in 4:3 format (720x478).
--- When importing .sst's in Scenarist, it just asks for .sst file. No word about the size.
--- Since neither MaestroSBT nor Scenarist have features to set the format (or size), I assume that the format has to be set before running MaestroSBT. That is in .ssa file.

If what I wrote make sense, I will try to manually twick the .ssa file.

Other thoughts?

guillep2k
31st January 2003, 18:48
Hi!

When I made the SST export in MaestroSBT, I only got the .pdf manual of Scenarist as guide to work with. The manual does not give any indication about how to specify the display format of the subpictures in the .sst file. The bitmaps are (and must be) always 720x480/720x576 whether you use 4:3, 16:9 or anything else. I bet you can set the subpicture (still) format within Scenarist after the import. Try finding the format specification within the menus. I don't think MaestroSBT needs to do anything different.

Guille

tomeczek
31st January 2003, 20:11
Thank you guillep2k!

Since subtitle bitmaps must be 720x480, my problem is originated in Scenarist. Obviously, the subtitle stills are not set to be viewed in 16:9 movie.

All you Scenarist gurus!
Please, advise, where can I change the subpicter's (subtitle bitmap) format?

Sherlock Holmes
1st February 2003, 10:38
ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE WRONG !!!
U were right at the 1st message.
Just you had one mistake.
Now
Do exactly the 1st message , and just before click on start to generate you DVD , do what I am telling u now.
See the left of the subtitle stream.
There is 3 buttons ==> W N P

Click on all of them. In fact all of them must be on.
And maybe the P button is unusable. don't worry. It is not in use in this project.

Now go and click the start to generate.

I bet it will work.

BTW , does MaestroSBT export sst file for scenarist ?

guillep2k
1st February 2003, 15:11
Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
BTW , does MaestroSBT export sst file for scenarist ?

Yep. Since long time...

Thanks for the explanation.

Guille

tomeczek
6th February 2003, 16:45
Sherlock Holmes was right!!! :D

It was great lesson for me! What I learned was:

-- all stills in Scanarist have to have "W" and "L" pressed, when creating 16:9 movie. (That is: all menus and subtitle tracks.)
-- all stills (again: subtitles and menus) have to be 720x480 (for NTSC)
-- All of you trying to help are GREAT! :)

Thanks!