PDA

View Full Version : Loading D2 Format--What's the Format?

BassPig
30th January 2003, 08:08
In preparation to make a pitch to an old client in a new capacity, I researched my clients needs. I am planning to offer DVD authoring services. The client receives their assets on D2 format.

I've looked into the Sony DVR-20 D2 Deck but even used, they run a lot of money. I don't really want to spend $14,000 on a used deck just for the gamble that I might get a gig with this client.

Are there any playback-only D-2 decks on the market that I could use to get their assets onto my hard drives for editing?

Creative thinking would be helpful here. Thanks!

hdv
31st January 2003, 00:32
BassPig,
Is not a specific DV question but since I repair broadcast equipment for a living I can give you some advice.
You're not going to find any D2 playback only machine, Sony stopped production long time ago and you'll find only used DVR-10s or DVR-20s, other models may surface.
D2 is composite digital and not to good of a format, special in multigenerations or doing Prereads.
Your best bet is have your material transcode by a tape house to a more manageable format like DVCAM,DVCPRO or MiniDV if you think this last one has enough quality for your project,then bring the material to your hard drive via firewire edited and burned. Request your material to be digital transcode avoid making an Ntsc dub to preserve the quality.
Don't spend the money in a used D2 machine they're hard to maintain and parts are extremely expensive. Good Luck.

BassPig
31st January 2003, 04:14
Thanks for the advice. I guess D-2 machines are pretty rare and not many models exist.

If I am going to successfully pitch this client on my services, I'm going to need to be able to handle their D-2 'masters' that they get from the original licensors. From what I was able to find out, they've been receiving their assets on D-2 for about ten years now.

It might be possible for me to transparently send the tapes out to be transferred, but that increases risk of loss and greatly increases delay in processing the material. And if the transferred tape has a few dropouts, then the situation gets difficult as parties blame eachother and pass the blame to others. Having my own D-2 machine would be a little costly, but that could be a lifesaver in the long run. I've seen them for sale as cheap as $5000 over the web. At least I know what I'm up against in order to be able to land a contract with this company. But I've worked for them over 10 years ago as a graphic designer, until they hired minimum wage labor and setup a bunch of Macs in-house. In this new capacity, if I can get started, I much doubt they'll be replacing me again so soon.

Well thanks for the information. Tough questions, I know!

EDITED UPDATE:

I just did some research on D-2 duplication. The cost of owning a machine may be well worth it. The places I checked out are charging about $350 to copy a D-2 tape of up to 90 mins length! Plus a 5-day turnaround, shipping charges and taxes additional. 14 tapes and I've recovered the purchase cost of the used machine.