PDA

View Full Version : Subrip cannot read DVD sub?

Craz
29th January 2003, 22:25
http://members.lycos.co.uk/speerman/images/subRip1.14.jpg

I'm ripping directly from my DVD. It seems that subrip cannot read the sub on my DVD. How can I solve this?

I have this with more than one DVD so it's not a singular case:
- Pearl Harbor
- Remains Of The Day
- Dirty Dancing

If more info is needed feel free to ask.
Thx for reply!

zuggy
31st January 2003, 08:30
Is this problem present when you process the same DVD, but ripped, from your HDD?

Craz
31st January 2003, 13:54
Didn't try to rip them to HD 'cause it takes too much space for just subripping only.

But I'll try to rip them to HD, first figure out how to do that ;)

Craz
31st January 2003, 13:55
How can one make a sub like in the subpacks. This sub files are sometimes 14mb big and such.

Do I have to rip the DVD first to make this kind of subpacks?

Craz
31st January 2003, 16:01
I ripped the DVD to my HD and now subrip doesn't have problems anymore to rip the subs.
I only tried Pearl harbor but I guess it will work with the other DVD's too.
Thx again!

I have one question left. When you download a release sometimes a so called "subpack" is included which contains an ifo and sub file of about 5-14mb. When you rename te sub to vob you can rip this file to srt or sub with subrip.
Which program do I use to make these kind of subpacks?

gabest
31st January 2003, 20:17
http://download.vobsub.edensrising.com/VSRip.rar

Craz
31st January 2003, 20:30
Thx! I'll try this one :)

Craz
31st January 2003, 20:43
Yes, this was what I have been looking for.
Thx for everyone who helped me out!

zuggy
31st January 2003, 20:58
Originally posted by gabest
http://download.vobsub.edensrising.com/VSRip.rar

Looks great, recommended for i-have-no-time-and-want-it-now people :-)

Little sugg., I've tried it on stripped vob from DVD Decrypter and it reports:
Found E:\subs\Vts_02_0.vob (skipping, probably a menu vob)

I know about the size constrains and menu-vob naming, but there should be an option to override the error-report?

gabest
31st January 2003, 21:03
Is dvd decrypter not putting just the menu in it? I made this util mainly to rip from dvd directly, under nt it can decrypt in a normal way and for win9x uses the old plain text attack from vobdec.

edit: I just remembered that from ifo I can get the length of the menu vob, I'm going to add a check for the file length of the *0.vob, this should be enough.

Craz
31st January 2003, 21:31
Ok I tried it, worked great (also got that thing about menu sub)
I have a file of 7.7mb, but when I rip this it doesn't give me a subtitle?
I probably took the wrong ifo I guess. I have like 5 ifo's or something, so how do I know which one I have to take?

I just take one at random and then choose dutch as languange to be ripped. That gives me an empty sub it seems?

zuggy
1st February 2003, 07:46
Gabest: I've meant the stripped vob from DVDDec, containing sub+nav packets only. It have the same name as the menu vob has (if I remember right). I've thought that when vobsub.dll can process idx/sub from it, the wizard-version could do it too. I.e. nothing wrong while processing the dvd directly.
And did you tell us abroad about the command-line interface mechanics?

Craz: take the ifo which name prefix corresponds to the biggest vobs size summary. And take care to select correct PGC, i.e. the one with the longest duration. ...and search the forum, it's a faq.

gabest
1st February 2003, 09:51
Originally posted by zuggy
Gabest: I've meant the stripped vob from DVDDec, containing sub+nav packets only. It have the same name as the menu vob has (if I remember right). I've thought that when vobsub.dll can process idx/sub from it, the wizard-version could do it too.If the nav packets are there, then there should be no problem processing it. But if the ripper copies the menu vob too, with the same name just stripped, then the size will be different and my idea to check the size won't work :'(
And did you tell us abroad about the command-line interface mechanics?You mean how it can be used from command line? It takes the same parameter file as the latest vobsub.dll.

Craz
1st February 2003, 11:18
Originally posted by zuggy
Craz: take the ifo which name prefix corresponds to the biggest vobs size summary. And take care to select correct PGC, i.e. the one with the longest duration. ...and search the forum, it's a faq. [/B]

Ok I will, thx!

zuggy
1st February 2003, 13:27
I must look it more. That are test dvds ripped some time ago, I don't remember if using vStrip or DVD Decrypter, but important is, because of size, just containing nav+sub packets. The ripper-soft takes the result into 1 file named equal to the menu-vob. But as I've said, I must look it more, if I don't have ripped it with the menu vob checked (because of the resulting name) or just renamed it to IFO prefix later. I have written about this issue, because vobsub.dll process it w/o exception.

zuggy
2nd February 2003, 07:03
Now I've looked it closer.

The error was on my side, I had e.g. VTS_02_0.IFO + VTS_02_PGC_01_1.VOB (activated Include PGC + Angle nr. to filename in DVD Decrypter's options). That could not be processed neither by vobsub nor VSRip.

I was mistaken before by this fact:
The "_0.VOB" must exist, althought is not required, otherwise we got "ERROR: Cannot open vob sequence"

And just for the completion:
Win98: "Found E:\subs\berg\Vts_01_0.vob (skipping, probably a menu vob)" even if this file doesn't exist.
WinXP: "ERROR: Length of E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.vob is not n*2048!" if this file doesn't exist.