PDA

View Full Version : Keep the .srt or convert to .sub for text-subtitles ?

iparout
29th January 2003, 19:06
Hi.

I have the following question :

When you create removable subtitles with SubRip OCR, which subtitle format do you prefer ? Do you leave the file as .srt or do you transform it to some other format ? (.sub or something else)

Which are the pros and cons of each format ?

Thanks in advance.

iparout
30th January 2003, 13:53
*Bump*.

Noone ?

ronnylov
31st January 2003, 12:49
You can convert between different formats with SubAdjust so it really does not matter. If the playback is fine with srt format there's no need to convert it.

iparout
31st January 2003, 13:24
The reason why I asked is because I burn my movies on CD-Rs, not CD-RWs, so if I burn 30 CDs with inappropriate subtitle files, then it will be a waste of time (and money) to burn them again using the more appropriate (or better) format.

stargazer
1st February 2003, 03:30
Why not burn them in both formats, 2 files - .srt (subrip) and .sub (microdvd)? Then you can be shure...

I prefer .srt because it is a time-based format (.sub is frame-based), but it really doesn't matter - vobsub and every better player recognize both formats corectly.

ffroms
1st February 2003, 14:02
I agree with you for time based subtitles. I prefer to .srt and now DirectVobSub (witch I use for displaying subs) can read html tags inside srt file.

FFS

iparout
1st February 2003, 14:02
Yes, I think I'll stick with .srt after all...

Thanks everyone.