PDA

View Full Version : divxnetworks scared about the feedback for 5.03?

Angrychair
27th January 2003, 18:34
It was a very disappointing release. It really seems that more features were taken away than were added (where's my quantizer control? I try using the command line instructions for them, and when I hit 'ok' they disappear) and the 'features' that were added don't seem to do much of anything, at least, they still don't bring up the quality of encodes with divx5 to xvid's alpha release levels.

The thing that bugged me most about 5.03 is that no real new features were added... just recursion of 2pass mode. No chroma motion, no curve selection or tweaking. Not even breaking down what things that crummy 'psychovisual' stuff actually does.

Bah

Just had to get the annoyance off my chest since divxnetworks seems unwilling to accept customer feedback.

midiguy
28th January 2003, 15:51
Originally posted by Angrychair
Just had to get the annoyance off my chest since divxnetworks seems unwilling to accept customer feedback.
do you pay for your version of DivX? no? then you're not a customer. there seems to be a bug with bframes in the new codec. perhaps if that was resolved, then we could really see what this new version has to offer.

temporance
28th January 2003, 16:08
No chroma motion,How do you know this?

DJ Bobo
28th January 2003, 16:49
I encoded already 8 episodes with DivX 5.03 and all came fine. No difference with 5.02 so far (may be there is, but I don't see it).

I even given up on bidirectional encoding, which seems to be a toy after all (wether I don't see improvement, or the video has indeed more macroblocks and mosquito noise, especially on higher bitrates)

I made up my mind, for me the normal DivX version is completely sufficient.

Angrychair
28th January 2003, 18:00
Originally posted by midiguy
do you pay for your version of DivX? no? then you're not a customer. there seems to be a bug with bframes in the new codec. perhaps if that was resolved, then we could really see what this new version has to offer.

Assumptions are dangerous.

Just for the record, I *AM* someone that 'donated' $30 to divxnetworks (that's how I think of it, I donate to software I like, I know I'm not really 'buying' it in this age of the DMCA)

***EDIT***

Sorry, but it really pisses me off when people group me in with the rest of the pirates around here.

As far as I'm concerned getting rid of the 'spyware' that pays for your divx5pro is the same thing as pirating a copy.

The reason I am very vocal about the quality of the product (and it's seeming regression) is because I donated my money to the cause of increasing it's quality. I feel, after checking out 5.03, that they're moving in the wrong direction.

Sorry that this isn't the greatest place to post about it, but the divx.com forums are offline.

Teegedeck
28th January 2003, 18:26
Angrychair: this most certainly isn't the way to talk on this forum. If you don't want someone (not me) to edit your post and strike you, you better reconsider your answer.

manono
28th January 2003, 21:10
Come on midiguy, you had no right to make the assumption and accusation you did. Don't you think an apology is in order?

But you Angrychair had no right to respond as you did. A simple statement of the facts along with a mild rebuke would have been enough. Do you want to rethink your response and edit it some?

Let's resume this discussion at the high level at which it started.

I even given up on bidirectional encoding, which seems to be a toy after all

Welcome to the club, DJ Bobo. For high quality encodings, I think they are less than useless.

angelyote
28th January 2003, 21:23
I've really been enjoying Divx 5.03. The n-pass encoding really seems to help low bitrate encodes for me and the quality is the same high quality I've come to expect from them.

I don't do any of this professionally. I just do it for fun and DivX and Xvid both keep me smiling and plugging along.

I haven't really played with not using b-frames. I've just finished a cowboy bebop encode. I'll re-run it without b-frames and see what I get.

Dave

syzygytec
28th January 2003, 21:27
Came looking for feedback on DivX 5.03 and this is what I find.
Well my un-professional results were good, finished encode looked as good as any I've done with 5.02. Playback was fine with FFDshow decoding as well, hey how about that little DivX logo on the start of playback, bet that's one of the big improvements LOL. Yes were did all those settings go? I'll keeping looking for others input in other threads.

midiguy
28th January 2003, 22:25
okay, you guys are right, I shouldn't have assumed. but I didn't mean it in a harsh way (I know it is hard to tell what someone actually means when you are typing it, rather than saying it), but I really didn't mean for it to come out harsh like that... didn't justify your explosion..

midiguy
28th January 2003, 22:31
It was a very disappointing release. It really seems that more features were taken away than were added (where's my quantizer control? I try using the command line instructions for them, and when I hit 'ok' they disappear)
I think they took out all the "advanced" controls (that use to be on the "advanced" tab) because they figured that the codec could do a much better job determining the settings than any person can (considering it can do many passes, and is not just limited to two anymore). Not sure if that was the best thing to do though...

I think that there is a crisis going on at DXN :D Their forums are down, the accounting system is in a mess, and they just released a very buggy and problematic version of their codec. They usually deliver at the end of it all, just give em time and they'll come around and address all the issues and sort out all the shit.

BoNz1
29th January 2003, 00:23
I tend to agree with DJ Bobo, IMO for high quality encodes at high bitrates b-frames degrade the image too much and shouldn't be used plus if you are using a high bitrate you should have some to spare. I never liked the way b-frames blur the image so much in divx and they seem to even more blurred in 5.03, it isn't that nice to look at, at all. For low bitrate movies using b-frames will help a lot, but I don't do too many of those so I don't think I will use b-frames much till they can release a version that won't blur them so much.

midiguy
29th January 2003, 04:59
I tend to agree with DJ Bobo, IMO for high quality encodes at high bitrates b-frames degrade the image too much and shouldn't be used plus if you are using a high bitrate you should have some to spare. I never liked the way b-frames blur the image so much in divx and they seem to even more blurred in 5.03, it isn't that nice to look at, at all. For low bitrate movies using b-frames will help a lot, but I don't do too many of those so I don't think I will use b-frames much till they can release a version that won't blur them so much.
well, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the use of b-frames always been for low bitrate encodes and less important (or beneficial) to high bitrate encodes? you should probably base your decision of whether to use b-frames (or not to use them) on the compressibility of your movie (gknot compressibility test), and not neccasarily on how high or low the bitrate is.. atleast to me that would make more sense.

BoNz1
29th January 2003, 05:45
Yes, it is more for low bitrate but a lot of people seem to assume (not here but other places) that they should always use them as if somehow it makes it look better no matter what bitrate they use, when really it looks worse(for higher bitrates at least). As far comp tests go, I use them but I do not base too much on them sure they give you a good idea what to do, but really what I like to do is look at my bitrate and res and calculate my bit pixel ratio, I base more on that than anything else. Usually, I have watched the movie before so I have a good idea of how much grain there is, how much motion there is etc etc and I make my decision from that as well as the bit pixel, so not all just pure numbers. From all this I can figure out what kind of resize I need and what other avisynth filters I should apply. I think my results, especially recently have been fairly good.
EDIT: Oh and I wish divx.com would get their forums back up, I know that there is a bad virus going around infecting all the message boards but they have been down for 4 days now I think. Anyhow, I don't think that they are scared to see the feedback but it does kind of make you wonder after 4 days.

midiguy
29th January 2003, 05:58
it could be that SQL worm that's messing up their forum, and their accounting system.. or it could be unrelated and just be some tech probs that their having. I don't think DXN is hiding away to avoid dealing with feedback from this new version.. that nas never really been their style...

SiXXGuNNZ
29th January 2003, 07:21
Originally posted by syzygytec
Came looking for feedback on DivX 5.03 and this is what I find.
Well my un-professional results were good, finished encode looked as good as any I've done with 5.02. Playback was fine with FFDshow decoding as well, hey how about that little DivX logo on the start of playback, bet that's one of the big improvements LOL. Yes were did all those settings go? I'll keeping looking for others input in other threads.

hmmm, I get no such logo when I have a profile selected