PDA

View Full Version : DVD and .srt

mad_koala
24th January 2003, 10:58
Hello!

I want to play subtitle-less DVD with "external" subtitles
in srt file. I tried to do it using [Power/Win]DVD with DVobSub, but failed. Is this possible without ripping DVD
to hard disk, and what i done wrong?

SirElvis
24th January 2003, 15:39
There IS a tool that can render subtitles onto a DVD played on your PC, but I can't remember its name. Search the Doom9 download page (http://www.doom9.org/software.htm) and/or use Google (http://www.google.com).

gabest
24th January 2003, 23:10
dvobsub can only be used in mpc for dvds (but mpc can subtitle on his own already...), powerdvd/windvd/others don't load it and zoomplayer doesn't install a hook process to tell dvobsub the current dvd playback time.

The util SirElvis meant was "dvdsubber" I think (or something similar).

mad_koala
25th January 2003, 14:15
Originally posted by gabest
dvobsub can only be used in mpc for dvds (but mpc can subtitle on his own already...), powerdvd/windvd/others don't load it and zoomplayer doesn't install a hook process to tell dvobsub the current dvd playback time.

Yes, mpc is a great player, the only one that
can seamlessly add subtitles to DVD movies. But, strangely,
i can't switch audio streams (english 5.1/russian 5.1) as in
[power|win]DVD and P&S imho works odd, but it's for another thread.
Thanks again!

gabest
25th January 2003, 20:15
Originally posted by mad_koala
Yes, mpc is a great player, the only one that
can seamlessly add subtitles to DVD movies. But, strangely,
i can't switch audio streams (english 5.1/russian 5.1) as in
[power|win]DVD and P&S imho works odd, but it's for another thread.
Thanks again! Did you search it under the navigate menu of the player? Is it not changing even if you click the picture buttons of the dvd menu?

mad_koala
25th January 2003, 22:51
Originally posted by gabest
Did you search it under the navigate menu of the player? Is it not changing even if you click the picture buttons of the dvd menu?
Oh, yes! It works. I tried Play > Audio >Channel. My Fault. But what
this channel is about?

gabest
25th January 2003, 22:56
That is listing the selection of the audio switcher, it gets filled with entries when you open an avi with more audio streams or when an additional audio file is specified at the open file dialog.

MomoNyo
2nd April 2004, 16:54
Sorry to bump up an old topic, but I've recently been trying to do this too and was wondering if there is anything better nowadays than MPC or DVDSubber?

I tried out DVDSubber and although it works, it's quite awkward to set up those zds files and no matter how hard I try it won't apply the font style I've specified so I get this small, ugly thin yellow Arial font at the bottom of the screen :(

MPC on the other hand, displays the subs just fine (from the srt file), but playback is too slow. I don't know if it's my vid card (32mb kyro) or cpu (amd 700mhz) that's at fault here. In the VMR9 settings I have to choose "use regular offscreen plain surfaces" in order to load subtitles and as a result playback is choppy. If I choose "use texture surfaces and render video in 2d" playback is fine, but it won't allow me to load external subs. I have it configured to use the WinDVD and AC3filter decoders for playback.

gabest
2nd April 2004, 17:10
Try to lower the texture resolution to 512x384, that may help a little.

"If I choose "use texture surfaces and render video in 2d" playback is fine, but it won't allow me to load external subs"

This one probably means that the video card cannot create the textures in the resolution or bitdepth of the video and the default renderer loads instead.

MomoNyo
2nd April 2004, 18:14
Thanks for the reply Gabest. I tried a few other things out and discovered that this "VMR7/9 issue" seems to be decoder-dependent. I uninstalled WinDVD and installed PowerDVD.

With the PowerDVD decoder, "use regular offscreen plain surfaces" gave me perfectly smooth playback (unlike WinDVD's), BUT when I tried to load subtitles via the MPC file menu I got the dialog box up telling me I needed to be using VMR7/9 Renderless mode (which I am). This is the same box I got when trying to load subs in "2d mode" with the WinDVD decoder.

I found the another thread where you showed how to use the dvdgraph function of Zoomplayer to get it to call up DVobSub in DVD mode. But I also suffered the same timing issues (which I don't get in MPC, so perhaps you figured that out? Or was the issue with ZoomPlayer?).

As for lowering the texture resolution, where would I do this?

gabest
2nd April 2004, 18:43
options/subtitles

MomoNyo
3rd April 2004, 02:55
Well after a lot of brainstorming, trying every possible combination of audio and video decoders, lowering the subtitle resolution and even the desktop bit depth, I've given up. It's just impossible to get smooth playback with subs in MPC for the time being. I'm guessing the VMR7/9 modes are pretty high on CPU usage if you don't have a video card that will render the output using the 2d or 3d modes.

So I'll have to soldier on with DVDSubber. It's quite surprising that there's such a lack of DVD players that allow you to load subtitles. I was sure the choice would have been better.

Anyway, thanks for the help! It was worth the shot at least.