PDA

View Full Version : closed captions scc offset problem

dgwak
17th January 2003, 01:22
I am using RAW2SCC v1.2 to convert raw closing captions data to a scc file with -o flag to offset the time.

But it does not let me do the negative offset. It is always positive offset even when I use "-o-00:00:10:00" flag.

It says in the guide that it has been fixed in that version but well...it does not work for me..

Also, once converted to a scc file, how do I import that into my Scenarist video? (I can do that using "Import Line 21" in Maestro but I am kinda new at Scenarist)

McPoodle
20th January 2003, 00:08
The raw2scc program does not accept negative offsets. Your best bet is to use raw2scc followed by ccadj with a negative offset. However, ccadj will refuse to create a file that contains negative timecodes, so none of the timecodes in your input file can be larger than the negative offset (you can't subtract ten minutes from a file where the first timecode is eight minutes).

McPoodle
20th January 2003, 05:44
On doing some more research, I found that I made a mistake with how I handled negative timecodes in ccadj and ccasdi, so I fixed those two programs and also did the same in raw2scc, so you can use that program with negative offsets as well, so long as it does not result in a file with negative timecodes--in this case, negative timecodes are changed to 00:00:00:00 (which could result in overlapping captions). You can download the revised SCC_TOOLS package here (http://www.geocities.com/mcpoodle43/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_TOOLS.HTML).

As for using SCC files in Scenarist, here is the procedure:
[list=1]
Drag the video file into the data editor.
Select the icon for the newly-added file, then scroll down the properties (bottom middle pane) to "Line 21 File1". Click on the button with the 3 dots to browse and select the .scc file.
You can now drag the data file into the track editor and the newly-created track into the scenario editor to create a PGC.
[/list=1]

One possibility I've run into with ripped movies is that the "Line 21 Switch1" box will have "Yes" in it and there will be no browse button in "Line 21 File1". This means that the ripped file has closed captions encoded in it already. Scenarist is going to complain about this when it comes time to compiling, so you will need to do the following:
[list=1]
If you don't have it already, get your .scc file using raw2scc or some other tool.
Delete the PGC from the scenario editor, the track from the track editor, and the file from the data editor, so there is no trace of the file left in Scenarist.
Launch ReStream, which you can download from the full download page on Doom9.
Browse for the video file for MPEG2-source, check the "Remove all User Data" box, change the Destination name (it defaults to overwriting the video file, and I don't trust any freeware program to not mess up my files), and click Write!
Drag the resulting file into the data editor of Scenarist.
Set the matching .scc file as described above.
Drag the file into the track editor and the track into the scenario editor.
[/list=1]