PDA

View Full Version : .vob to another format

ToiletDuck
15th January 2003, 03:36
Is there a way to take say a 5gb .vob file and make it a 5gb .avi or mpg file? In the past I remembered I could just rename it to .avi and it would play but for some reason now I can't. I'm wanting to try the WM9 encoder but it doesn't recognize .vob files and I don't know how to creat a .avs file.

midiguy
15th January 2003, 23:56
you are in violation of forum rules 1), 1a) and 3).
read the guides @ doom9 to do what you are trying to do.

ToiletDuck
16th January 2003, 08:39
How do you figure. A. this has to do with new codecs. B. I have searched and found that people only say to use dvd2avi which when I do it forces me to use a codec which i don't want because all I want to do is take the original .vob and make it .avi format for use with other applications. C. If you don't want to help then stfu. Don't need negative remarks. I help people when I can and I expect the same from them. If you don't like it then just be quiet. You are in violation of being an @sshole.

ChristianHJW
16th January 2003, 11:06
Originally posted by ToiletDuck because all I want to do is take the original .vob and make it .avi format for use with other applications.

Its simply impossible. Period. Renaming a .vob to .avi doesnt make it an AVI. VOB is a specific container built for DVD, it can hold

MPEG2 video
AC3 audio
MPEG1/2 layer2 audio
SDDS audio

as real media streams ( to name the most important ), plus a variety of different stuff like menues, IFO files, etc.

AVI cant hold MPEG2 video at all, so a conversion from VOB to AVI is simply impossible without converting to another compression format like MPEG4 ( DivX, XviD ), Indeo, DSVD, etc ...

ToiletDuck
16th January 2003, 17:55
I know that you can't simply rename fake.vob to fake.avi and expect it to work. That is why I am asking if there is a program that will let me make the .vob to .avi. DVD2AVI will let me but you either have to use a codec to do so or you have to go with uncompressed frames which makes it HUGE.

Doom9
16th January 2003, 18:52
the AVI container afaik does not support MPEG2 video streams. Thus you need to recompress your VOBs to another format.. and that's what my site is all about. You'll find dozens of guides for most formats you can imagine (DivX3/4/5, XviD, VCD, SVCD, DVD-R). As for other formats they often require AVI input but they can be tricked using frameserving tools. For instance dvd2avi and vfapi or dvd2avi and avisynth (you can find all those guides listed in the frameserving section on http://www.doom9.org/doc-overview.htm). You can load VFAPI pseudo AVI files in encoders for all the formats mentioned above and many others (wm9, rv9 to mention just two).

ToiletDuck
16th January 2003, 22:46
Ahhhhhh so instead of saving the file in dvd2avi I save as a project then I use VFapi (spelling) to make a fake .avi file so the wm codec can see it... Thanks a bunch.

midiguy
17th January 2003, 04:55
hey, sorry ToiletDuck, I Was too harsh in my earlier post (I was having a bad day, it happens!) anyways, what are you trying to accomplish exactly? do you wnat to be able to play your VOB files in a software video player? cause if that is all you want to do, you should just use a software DVD player such as PowerDVD or WinDVD. You can just load your VOB(S) directly off of your hard drive by dragging and dropping on the above mentioned players...

or, if your intention is to be able to load the avi in an editing program (ie: virtualdub) and then recompress it using a codec in an AVI container, then you would probably wnt to learn how to use avisynth. if you follow the guides @ doom9, you should be set. they are very easy to follow, and they should set you up nicely with everything you want to know.

as was mentioned above, it is impossible (and useless/pointless) to store MPEG-2 video in an AVI container.

CruNcher
18th January 2003, 01:57
@doom9
the AVI container afaik does not support MPEG2 video streams

not so correct there is a codec which can save mpeg2 data into an avi
it's http://www.etymonix.com/products/VideoCodec/VideoCodec.htm
but it's only saving i-frames

NuclearFusi0n
18th January 2003, 02:50
AVISynth is your friend.

midiguy
18th January 2003, 20:22
Originally posted by CruNcher
@doom9

not so correct there is a codec which can save mpeg2 data into an avi
it's http://www.etymonix.com/products/VideoCodec/VideoCodec.htm
but it's only saving i-frames
hmm.. that's pretty interesting, but I think it is suppose to be used as some sort of (lossless?) compression codec.. hmm, is it lossless? how does it compare to other codecs like huffyuv and the MJPEG codecs?

Doom9
18th January 2003, 21:35
it's I frames only so for practical purposes it's not of much use really. MPEG-2 is powerful just because it supports P and B frames as well. It's sound like it's lossless but it doesn't say so, thus I would assume it's not (imagine the lawsuits if they claim it was and then it weren't). And.. you'd have to re-encode your movie to use that codec. I said it wasn't possible to put an existing MPEG-2 stream into an avi and for all I know that's still true. I just didn't want to bring up that codec to confuse matters.

ToiletDuck
19th January 2003, 04:34
sry I was harsh too. What I want to do is experiment with the windows codec some... But it won't start out with .vob files. And if there was a way to make an image of it. Kinda like a .d2v file istead a .avi file it would be really nice. But I think I have it now.
Duck