PDA

View Full Version : More about avisynth

scmccarthy
14th January 2003, 23:16
AviSynth works by faking AVI files. That means that AviSynth files in principle works with all files being capable of opening AVI files. What you might see in real life is that not all applications treat video files like they are supposed to. Idea for a re-write on the middle sentence:

That means that AviSynth script files work in principle with all programs capable of opening AVI files.

How's that?

sh0dan
14th January 2003, 23:25
It means, if a program opens an avs file with the vfw codec (just like an AVI file), it will work perfectly.

Many (stupid) programs however do this:
if (extension==".AVI")
openvfw(file);
else
display_error("This is not an AVI file");

That is why benRG's methos of simple search/replace AVI->AVS actually works.

(For instance, Ligos MPEG encoder will not let you choose anything but straight AVI files in the file selector. But if you load an AVI, and manually changes the name in the filename box to .AVS - it works perfectly).
So - in principle it works - in reality - not always.

Stupid but mostly true :rolleyes:

edit: You may quote me on this on the page, if you like :)

sillKotscha
14th January 2003, 23:42
ok, but then here is my (probably silly) question...

I capture from TV (i.e. 720x576 with Huffyuv) and I have multiple/ segmented *.avi(s)... not much work is done to edit these *.avi(s), as everyone knows open first segment in VDub and the rest is automatically loaded - if I do it like this, I'm able to choose a codec for compression, etc. pp but if I open a script in VDub (i.e. SegmentedAviSource("D:\Capture\CAPTURE000.avi") ) I'm not able to choose a codec, because it is 'only' recognized as uncompressed RGB.

This is not logical to me, because in both cases my captured (segmented) avi(s) are uncompressed RGB??!!

maybe someone can explain me this (avisynth) behaviour...

thanks in advance...

regards

- Sill

scmccarthy
15th January 2003, 05:18
@sh0dan

It means, if a program opens an avs file with the vfw codec (just like an AVI file), it will work perfectly. What it means and what is says are two different things; look closely at this part of the sentence:works with all files being capable of opening AVI files. I don't think the writer meant a file can open an AVI file, that is however, what the sentence says until someone fixes it. This is a suggestion for a correction, not a question about what it means. This is my favorite fact about what AviSynth is all about and how it works, but it is mis-stated on the avisyngh.org page.

So why not put the sentence I wrote in it's place? My sentence uses the word program, sh0dan's quote above uses the word program, the original sentence uses the word 'file' three times, the middle one should have been 'program' or 'application'. So go ahead and use this as the new second sentence on the page (same sentence in first post):That means that AviSynth script files work in principle with all programs capable of opening AVI files. And the original sentence again:That means that AviSynth files in principle works with all files being capable of opening AVI files. Stephen

sh0dan
15th January 2003, 09:19
just change it :)

scmccarthy
15th January 2003, 16:33
@sh0dan

Yeah, I talked around the whole issue, I really wanted to know if there is anyone I should talk to about it. But you have the last word.

Stephen