PDA

View Full Version : No subs with newer VobSubs

InfoCynic
21st December 2002, 08:40
This problem has been haunting me since 2.20, so I've been sticking with 2.18.

Anything I rip, using the same methods I've always used before (SmartRipper with Stream Processing, taking the Video, one or more audio streams, and all subtitle streams), shows in VobSub's "configure" dialog normally after I load the IFO, (although some movies do have duplicate language entries such as I've posted about before), and it goes through all the steps like normal, finding key, indexing... and then I click OK when that finishes. (If I stop and look here, all the streams have 'not detected' instead of what they should have.) The result is an IDX file with no timestamps, just the normal headers, and a 0-byte SUB file. I have tried 2 different movies and 1 set of TV episode DVDs. I tried with and without that new "reset time" checkbox in .20+.

Anyone else with this experience? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Has something significant changed?

Side note: As a feature request, could the default output directory be the same as the input directory so it's not necessary to navigate all the way back through the path every time? :)

frank
22nd December 2002, 15:52
I have the same problem!
Smartripper + Streaming -> Vobsub v2.2x doesn't recognize subtitle streams on multiangle(?) DVDs.
The new versions don't include the button "I've stripped the source files..." anymore. May be that's the reason.

Tested on "We were soldiers"

blacklotus
23rd December 2002, 13:03
I'm also having the same problem as you guys.
I cannot get the Buffy season 1 & season 2 subtitle to work with v2.23 while v2.14 works fine with the "i've just stripped..." button.
Any help is appreciated.

p.s : infocynic, can you send me or put it in a webpage the vobsub v2.18 you're using ? because i can't find any older vobsub version anywhere. e-mail address : zealmen@rad.net.id

Schultz
24th December 2002, 02:27
You also might find an answer to fix this problem in this thread if you are doing this method..
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39065&highlight=smartripper+vobsub

InfoCynic
24th December 2002, 09:11
I'll give that a shot, thanks. My search prior to starting this thread was on "missing" not "empty." Need fuzzy-logic searches. :)

ukendt
24th December 2002, 14:40
vobsub won't detect the subs.
I tested 2.18 with the commando line in such an issue, using
all.all,blind,close
and it ripped the subs. It still doesn't say which language but U may easily figure it out.
I'll test 2.23 after Christmas

blacklotus
26th December 2002, 01:08
@InfoCynic : Thanks for the file ! VobSub v2.18 works nicely, just like the previous version i've used (v2.14)

@Ukendt : Using v2.18 with commandline does work. But since v2.18 already worked flawlessly using the "I've stripped..." button, then it's no surprise using the commandline works too.

I've tried using the latest vobsub v2.23, but some subtitle still not working, so i'm back to v2.18.
I also notice that v2.18 is the last version that has the "I've stripped..." button. All other version after it don't have one.
So IMHO, based from my recent experience working with subtitle errors, the "I've stripped..." button is definately needed and will fixed the problem totally. It's also definately not the same as the OK button of the newer vobsub version. And strangely this contradict of what gabest said in the other thread i've saw that the function of "I've stripped..." button now implemented in the OK button of the newer version, because if this is the case then using the newer version should work like earlier version. But it didn't.

To Gabest if you read this, what do you think ? Why the "I've stripped..." button was removed at the first place ? Why can't just leave it as an alternate option ? It's certainly won't hurt, in fact it will be mostly helpful. Or i'm wrong here ? Please reply.

InfoCynic
26th December 2002, 06:01
Per that thread linked above, I'm including "Others" when using SmartRipper stream processing, and it (2.23) works fine; better than previous versions even.