PDA

View Full Version : avi vs mpeg2 - editing?

idatoo
27th November 2002, 06:01
What video format is best for editing - avi or mpeg2?
I have 2hrs and 10minutes of dv footage from my parents vacation to South America on digital camcorder.
My father is a very poor camera man. There's a lot of frames that are just garbage intermingled on the dv tape.
I have only 20 gb of free hard drive space and PII-450Mhz (plz don't mock my specs).
I can capture the whole dv to mpeg2(dvd or svcd) quality on my hd.
I have to do a lot of cuts (splitting the file) and then eventually merge the files. Some admin person on the board suggested using dvtool to do the mpeg2 file splitting - big mistake! The quality of video degraded significantly.
So when I capture, should I use the avi or mpeg2 format?
What should I use to do the splitting? (something with a fast accurate frame seek support).
What would you do to try to have a clean edited video that is at least SVCD quality at the end?

Issa :confused:

Suzahara
27th November 2002, 07:22
If your system will handle it, use huffyuv to cap. Or else use mjpeg (which will probably be better on your limited 20gb of space). MPEG2 is the worst way to cap if you're converting it to another format. You can use aviutl to edit your video, and then open up an edited aup in tmpg to convert to svcd or another mpeg2 specification, or there are ways to get it into an avs and use vdub to render to an avi codec format.

htc10825
27th November 2002, 15:09
first you should install a firewire card in your system(40$-50$), than transfer the DV-stream to your hdd directly without capt./re-encoding. The DV stream data are field/frame based and you can edit it in frame-accuracy in VDub. The resaults(filters must be used to reduce noise, crop or resize) can be frameservered to CCE 2.50 to get DVD or SVCD compliant mpeg2 stream. The audio may be extra encoded. Do not try it with TMPG if you still have PII-450, otherwise the transcoding may take 2 week except you aim to make a long travel. With CCE you can get the resaults in a weekend(=more time for girl friends).

idatoo
29th November 2002, 12:30
Originally posted by htc10825
you can edit it in frame-accuracy in VDub. The resaults(filters must be used to reduce noise, crop or resize) can be frameservered to CCE 2.50 to get DVD or SVCD compliant mpeg2 stream. The audio may be extra encoded.
I really need some specific instructions in this area.
I am interested in having a svcd output file at the end.
I have always been told to use DVD2AVI for frameserving because people say its the best frameserver. Could I demux a dv file with dvd2avi?
And if so, I will end up with an mpa and .d2v file.

How would I convert mpa file to a 44.1 kHz wav file?

If I used vdub to demux an dv avi file, would it also produce a .d2v and wav file?

Once I cut up the dv avi file into clips, I would use an avs script to concatenate the good clips then feed it into CCE 2.5?
Does CCE 2.5 interpret avs scripts?

thanx,
Issa.

htc10825
30th November 2002, 14:17
1. DVD2AVI only for MPEG2-streams(DVD,SVCD,DVB), not suitable for DV. So there is no .d2v files for it!!!
2. use headAC3pe to transcode 48khz mpa to 44khz mp2.(I dont know if the DV contains mpa, or just PCM)Once I cut up the dv avi file into clips, I would use an avs script to concatenate the good clips then feed it into CCE 2.5? 3. It is possible to feed the avs to CCE 2.50/2.66, but in your case it is easier to edit the dv-avi in Vdub directly(cut, delete frames, crop, add filters) and then feed it to CCE 2.50.