PDA

View Full Version : Staying within SVCD specs using CCE?

The Belgain
22nd November 2002, 15:28
Hi, I've done a reasonable amount of DivX (mainly 5.0x) encoding, but no SVCD so far. I'm looking to backup a season of Buffy onto SVCDs (one 45 min episode per CD) so that it can be playable on my standalone DVD-player back home.

I want to be sure that I'm creating SVCDs that will play on it (I can't test them since the player is in a different country). I tested it on an SVCD clip I made using TMPGenc (VBR) and it worked, so it does support SVCD.

Will encoding in CCD 2.5 (using correct res, etc.) work using 3-pass VBR (I read here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34908 that the bitrate goes above the value you set for max bitrate when using multipass VBR)? Also, how many passes would people recommend for a sensible quality/encoding time ratio (3 seems to be fairly standard...is it noticeably better than 2? Is 4 overkill?)

So basically, what settings should I be careful about to stay within specs? What is the max bitrate allowed by VCD specs? Is it 2720 total?

Shouls I play around with the advanced settings or is there no point?

auenf
22nd November 2002, 15:36
for hitting a specific bitrate, its probably best to set your max/min/avg and do a multipass VBR

the 'advanced' or manual bitrate is good for squeezing the last bit of compression out of it (and keeping below a certain Q factor). but who needs to go thru all that effort when they can setup a multiple pass vbr and get their target with good quality whilst sleeping?

Enf...

The Belgain
22nd November 2002, 17:30
What should I specify as minimum bitrate? Can I just set it to 0, and will that keep it within the specs? From a quality point of view, does setting it to 0 work well (ie does it still allocate the bits sensibly, or does it sometimes go too low)?

Justinus
23rd November 2002, 08:12
I've never experienced with setting min bitrate to 0 during playing. However, some says some DVD players don't play well when the bitrate is too low.

DVD__GR
30th November 2002, 04:35
Many players can handle bitrate over the specs of svcd depending the cpu power of the mpeg-2 decoder chip..so test and see but also know that top quality dvd-players like denon-pioneer have a kick ass powerfull decoder..

auenf
30th November 2002, 14:42
Originally posted by DVD__GR
Many players can handle bitrate over the specs of svcd depending the cpu power of the mpeg-2 decoder chip..so test and see but also know that top quality dvd-players like denon-pioneer have a kick ass powerfull decoder..

acutally the dvd players that are most likely to play high bitrate SVCDs are ones that spin the disc faster than 2x.

Enf...

DVD__GR
1st December 2002, 03:25
If you spin faster than 2x as you say and your decoding power is not enought to decompress the data???....

Justinus
1st December 2002, 05:21
@DVD_GR
What do you mean by "decoding power" anyway? I understand what auenf is trying to say. The sector rate of SVCD spec on Philips website says it is up to 150Hz or 2x. If your DVD player can spin up to 2x only, it means that the max bitrate your DVD player can play is:

150 sector/sec x 2324 bytes/sector x 8 bits/byte = 2,788,800 bps (SVCD standard)

In that case if you want to make XSVCD or something like that, your DVD player must be capable to spin faster than that.

DVD__GR
2nd December 2002, 00:20
Well I mean that the player reads the data in its speed , then it sends the data to the decoder and then the decoder after it synchronises audio and video it sends the output signal.I believe that you should have together faster spinning speed with enough mpeg-2 decoding power.
I believe these two things depend on each other..
At least i believe..

auenf
2nd December 2002, 09:43
surely a dvdplayer that can decode up to 10.08 mbps, can decode SVCD at faster than 2x ;)

Enf...

Justinus
2nd December 2002, 10:36
auenf, you may be right. However, if that so, why no DVD player supports SVCD up to 9.8Mbps (up to DVD standard). I think it's about a firmware inside the decoder chip in the DVD player as well.

Stabmaster-Arson
2nd December 2002, 22:29
Originally posted by Justinus
auenf, you may be right. However, if that so, why no DVD player supports SVCD up to 9.8Mbps (up to DVD standard). I think it's about a firmware inside the decoder chip in the DVD player as well.
That is because it cannot physically grab that much data off the disk fast enough. (This is called areal density; there are more bits crammed onto the same space of a dvd disk.) Remmeber a DVD spinning at the same speed as a cd transfers much, muchmore data.

The bitrate of any dvd movie we watch is much much higher than any SVCD you would ever have encoded, and has no bearing on the "Powerfulness" of the decoder.

Re: the firmware of the machine, its true, a firmware may refuse to play an SVCD that is out of spec, for no good reason even if it could grab the data fast enough. You will find though that most are limited just by the speed.

DVD__GR
2nd December 2002, 23:52
Well i start REALLY getting confused...DVD's capacity is 7,23times larger than a cd,so we can say that DVD can rean data 7,23times more than SVCD standard??Can a dvd read THAT fast??almost 20mbits??
Is that correct i say or not??
I believe that if it was possible by the mpeg-2 decoding power we would have such high bitrates.dvd quality is not enough and is already planned as you know to be reaplaced..and HDTV is coming...

auenf
3rd December 2002, 10:19
a DVD @ 2x is spinning the disc physically the same speed as CD @ 2x.

the DVD can transfer 1.38mbytes/s at 1x, a cd can transfer 150kb/s at 1x

for a dvd player to play a 9.8mbit/sec DVD, it would have to spin the disc at 1x.

for a DVD player to play a 9.8mbit/sec SVCD, it would have to spin the disc at 9.2x.

when building a standalone dvd player, the manuf. will want to put in the slowest drive possible, but still play properly, which means they would only need to put in a 2x drive (too meet SVCD spec at ~2.5mbit).

Enf...

Stabmaster-Arson
6th December 2002, 18:24
Originally posted by DVD__GR
Well i start REALLY getting confused...DVD's capacity is 7,23times larger than a cd,so we can say that DVD can rean data 7,23times more than SVCD standard??Can a dvd read THAT fast??almost 20mbits??
Is that correct i say or not??
I believe that if it was possible by the mpeg-2 decoding power we would have such high bitrates.dvd quality is not enough and is already planned as you know to be reaplaced..and HDTV is coming...

The answer to this?

Yes.