PDA

View Full Version : miniDV tapes preference

bira
15th November 2002, 21:03
Which one do you like best? (for whatever reason)

You can mention specific model.

theReal
16th November 2002, 02:21
There hardly seem to be any other available than Sony and Panasonic (I have one or two JVC but recently I only find Sony and Panasonic in Germany).

The last ones I bought were Panasonic because they were cheaper than Sony at amazon.de - I now count on Panasonic DVC Professional (clear case, white and blue cassette) because they are supposed to minimize residue on the recording heads and also minimize dropouts. I'm not sure if they really do so, but at least it seems promising.

bira
16th November 2002, 03:19
Is this the one you're talking about?

bira
20th November 2002, 13:00
Now that the thread is not locked anymore, I would like to know what's your preference.

OvERaCiD23
20th November 2002, 21:02
I just use regular 60m Panasonic miniDV tapes. I don't use a camcorder that records the highest quality (Canon ZR20), so why spend extra money on "super" tapes? I get a 5-pack for ~$15-$20.

anarco
10th February 2003, 14:08
highest quality ?

I have doubts it matters for the image quality... dv gets recorded digitaly so for the medium used it is just a question of reliability.

I personally use the cheapest I can get (which are in most cases sony or panasonic) cause I never re-record on a tape and put the best parts on cd anyway.

SiliconSoul
21st February 2003, 05:10
i had a tdk that my cannon z30 ate. but all the sony tapes ive used work fine

atreides93
27th February 2003, 21:48
I've been pretty happy with panasonic tapes. I ran into trouble when I started using a 5 pack of TDK's i got from costco. I think when you use different brand tapes, it messes up the heads and gets them dirty. Then I think a panasonic head cleaner tape I used might have misaligned something cause shortly after that my miniDV camera started eating tapes left and right, regardless of the brand.

Malow
28th February 2003, 10:14
the panasonic dv tape make 5-8 dropouts in first capture... after 3 times of full write on tape, is about 20 dropouts...

with the master tape, write 10 times recording and NONE dropout

Xesdeeni
28th February 2003, 14:33
Sam's Club has a 6-pack of Maxell's for something like $18. The quality seems to be OK. I do get occasional dropouts, but I suspect that it is actually my camera.

Xesdeeni

SiliconSoul
28th February 2003, 16:45
sams near me has those for about $22 but thats still better than walmart kmart and everyone else around... ill have to pick up a pack and test them out.