PDA

View Full Version : I'm speculating that we may soon see a new DVD-authoring app. Comments, please!

Arky
8th November 2002, 18:19
Hi, what follows is purely the musings of my own mind, not the result of any webpages or rumour mills that may, or may not, exist, on the topic.

Without, in any way, wishing to advertise (although I am happy to respond to inquisitive PRIVATE enquiries on the topic), there are some interesting deals on NLE software in the UK at the moment, from a company you are all aware of. This company is additionally bundling other familiar software (from it's own product line) with their NLE product. Most of you will probably know to whom I am referring, without needing to ask. The company's name begins with a "P". I mention this **PURELY** by way of explaining the background for the musings that follow. I am not advertising, and I have no affiliation with any of the companies discussed. If you read this entire post, I hope you will appreciate the legitimacy of my mentioning certain products, and see that they were only mentioned for illustrative purposes, not in any way to advertise! :)

As I remarked some time ago, I strongly suspect that there is a new prosumer DVD app just waiting for the right moment to hit the market. And the way things are going, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if "P" come up with the goods. I haven't played with it yet, but Ulead's DVD Workshop looks like a creditable foray into the £300 sector, and competes with DVD Impression Pro, to some extent. Neither of these apps, however, really go far enough for the DVD-authoring enthusiast, and let's face it, none of us can afford Scenarist or Maestro for personal use.

Basically, where I'm going with this is, is that, if you look at the surprisingly low price of some recent "upgrade bundles" from the afore-alluded-to company, a number of conclusions might reasonably (read 'speculatively') be drawn.

I speculate that, fairly obviously, the company in question is cleverly attempting to kill about 5 birds with one stone:

1) By attempting to establish market share with a product bought from Fast (i.e. Fast Studio was rebadged to Edition), by pricing it *WAY* below the likes of Sonic Foundry, Discreet, Avid etc., and most significantly, Adobe.

This would have a knock on effect. If this can undermine the Adobe Premiere customer base (and don't forget that Edition accepts all those Premiere plugins...), then they can begin to look at ways of re-coding the Edition pipeline to integrate with P's own hardware cards. This will also, then, give customers a reason not to buy Canopus or Matrox hardware, if they are supplied only with Premiere. Personally, I hope this happens, but NOT in the sense of completely succeeding to P's own ends, but rather for galvanising Canopus and Matrox into improving their competing products further. Clearly, "P" knows that Edition as it stands, while an excellent NLE, is crippled by not having a pipeline which supports hardware acceleration. Thus, they are looking at the lower end of the market, to get budding prosumers hooked on an upgrade ladder, and eventually to buy hardware prosumer products.

I really think that prosumers (at least those without access to top-league products in their workplaces), have a lot to thank "P" for, even if they are not customers, because "P" is really shaking up the marketplace, which, IMHO, can only serve to benefit the consumer.

Now, ADDITIONAL possible conclusions, and the specific reason why I am posting this in the Advanced DVD Authoring thread! :D :

Clearly, Edition, as discussed above, is being used as a weapon against directly competing software products, and, indeed, as a means of indirectly undermining future hardware sales of the competition. That much seems certain. BUT, it seems a little odd to me that the company in question have also seen fit to bundle two other pretty-significant products, with Edition upgrades, at an incredibly low price, given that Commotion has no absolutely-direct competitor (it's primarily a rotoscoping tool, above all else, rather than an out-and-out compositing tool a la After Effects), and that Impression, while co-existing with DVDit! (eeuch!) and DVD Workshop, is not really under any major competitive threat. I mean, let's face it, people would buy Edition by the bucketload for the price of the current basic upgrade, anyway, so why go further and offer a 3rd upgrade including additonal software? There has to be some strategic thinking going on here...

I think Commotion bundling is nothing more than a means of drumming up "Pro" upgrades, so I'll say no more about that.

It's the bundling of Impression, however, that is stimulating my interest. I speculate that this is indicative of an imminent, and highly-significant, DVD authoring product, and of a level of complexity which far exceeds Impression. "P" know only to well that a killer £800-1000 windows DVD authoring app is simply BEGGING to be released. It'd sell by the BUCKETload! Presently, DVD Studio Pro is the only thing with any clout, for under a £1,000, and this is MAC only.

Does anyone else share my suspicions, or am I alone in my speculations? :D

Arky ;o)

Apologies for the thinly-veiled crypticness of my post. I am only trying to avoid accusations of the type I spoke of at the top of the thread. If any mods (inc. Doom9) feel that I have failed to be discrete enough, then just PM me and share your feelings on the matter.

Arky
8th November 2002, 18:29
BTW, if any of you know that ReelDVD can now be acquired NEW for less than £1,000, I'd be interested to know which retailers are doing this. The last time I looked, it was nearer £1,500 (apart from being bundled with other expensive hardware in the same way that Virtuoso is with Canopus' Amber MPEG card)

Arky ;o)

Deepa DvD
9th November 2002, 02:10
Hi Arky!
I don't know about retailers, but you can get it for $999.99 USD at Sonic's Estore. Sonic E-Store (http://estore.sonic.com/reeldvd/default.asp) I believe the latest version is 3.0 or 3.2

Hope this Helps! :)
deePA

Arky
9th November 2002, 04:53
Great, thanks a lot! I'm going to wait a while and see if my prediction comes true, and if it doesn't, I may seriously consider saving some cash for ReelDVD. To be honest, I'm really hoping that something more user-friendly, but just as powerful (if not more) will appear for a similar price.

I've bookmarked your link in the meantime! :)

Arky ;o)

Arky
9th November 2002, 05:03
Quite by chance, I just found this link, too!:

https://secure.cnchost.com/videoguys.com/secureDVD.html

ReelDVD for $749.00!

(just goes to show how out of date I was on ReelDVD pricing, doesn't it?) lol

Arky ;o)

easy2Bcheesy
9th November 2002, 16:05
It's funny that considering the popularity of the DVD-R burners, no-one has created a consumer level tool with pro-level functionality.

But I think it's a case of sheer capitalism at the moment.

If a programmer goes to all the bother of creating something like Maestro which makes DVD authoring accessible to all, they are probably going to make more money selling it for thousands of pounds in low volume as opposed shifting more units at a cheaper price. A pro-level tool like that is typically best used by professionals who will pay a premium level price for it. And just how many non-pros (apart from yourself!) will use even a fraction of the DVD spec's potential? If we're being honest, the majority of people who use Doom9 would probably get on just as well with the old Virtuoso software, which if memory serves did come down to about $300 before Spruce vanished off the face of the Earth and was a rampant bargain.

Another factor is the fact is that the consumer doesn't give a stuff about whether their software is legal or not, so why would you shell out hundreds of pounds on a bit of software? Only if you're looking to make a commercial gain from it would you pay over the odds.

Apple are trying hard, but even they're not really going for a mass market level with DVD Studio Pro. DVD Studio Pro is a good piece of kit and very keenly priced. But you get some other mickey mouse authoring tool when you buy your iMac. Apple are just trying to hoover up the professional DVD authoring market, but haven't quite grasped the fact that we're all quite happy with either Maestro or Scenarist. Why move away from something we already own that accesses all the functionality of the DVD spec?

All my other decent apps are on PC and I'm not shifting to Mac just for DVD authoring. Only a handful of truly hardcore DVD studios (who I would suggest don't know any better) stick to Macintosh from the old Sonic Solutions days.

I think the bottom line is that too many commercial interests will be compromised if someone does what Arky's suggesting. The DVD authoring side of things is still a massive growth industry, and while there's a lot of money to be made, the best tools to do it will cost the earth.

Arky
10th November 2002, 16:37
Originally posted by easy2Bcheesy
Another factor is the fact is that the consumer doesn't give a stuff about whether their software is legal or not, so why would you shell out hundreds of pounds on a bit of software? Only if you're looking to make a commercial gain from it would you pay over the odds.

Yes, I agree, but, to be honest, I was really referring to low-end commercial stuff / prosumer stuff - say Corporate promotion, or wedding videography. Someone wishing to start a small business >legally< creating professional quality DVDs. Windows-wise, this is pretty much ReelDVD territory at the present time. Lower-end consumers are, as I mentioned, already catered for by Ulead DVD-Workshop and Pinnacle Impression (note the deliberate ommission of DVDit! from that list...). Don't forget, Edition was originally Fast Studio, and this, in it's production bundle guise (which is what Edition really is), cost around £1,600 before Pinnacle got their hands on it and did wonderful things for the <£500 market. This product, at it's new price point, poses quite a serious threat to Avid's Xpress DV, notwithstanding the realtime preview and industry-standard interface which Xpress DV incorporates. In other words, Pinnacle have shown themselves to be more than willing to throw down the gauntlet and favour the pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap approach, even when this means ruffling the feathers of some real heavyweight competitors.

Originally posted by easy2Bcheesy
I think the bottom line is that too many commercial interests will be compromised if someone does what Arky's suggesting. The DVD authoring side of things is still a massive growth industry, and while there's a lot of money to be made, the best tools to do it will cost the earth.

I think you have made an excellent point here. In many respects I wholeheartedly agree. However, I am still left wondering why Pinnacle themselves would have anything to lose by pursuing the course of action I speculated upon. It is only really Sonic and Apple-Spruce who would have anything significant to lose, and I find it unlikely that Apple will be treated by any other software developers with any sympathy, given the strongarm tactics they are using with their proprietary software licensing! Sonic, too, have been buying up all the competition in the high-end DVD-authoring market, so they will *eventually* be toppled from their perch by an underdog. There is only just so long you can hoard ALL the acorns without someone mounting a "raid" on your dominance.

Well, I fear you may be right, easy2bcheesy, but I HOPE my speculations prove correct in the months to come, as many people would benefit. Incidentally, I am STILL curious about what Mr. Jobs is doing with all those talented Spruce Engineers. There has long been speculation that Apple are possibly working on cross-platform software, so as to gain a tasty slice of the Windows software market. Admittedly, this is seemingly at odds with the notion of Apple striving to create products (such as Astarte's product, which became DVD Studio Pro) which, owing to their exclusivity to the MAC, may be strong enough to entice Windows users to switch allegiances to the MAC platform. I just don't know. All I do know is that 2003 looks set to be an exciting year for Digital Video. There is simply too much momentum (largely, as easy2bcheesy said, due to affordable DVD-R drives hitting the market) for the market to stagnate, software wise. Money is waiting to be made, and fortune favours the brave :)

Arky ;o)

easy2Bcheesy
11th November 2002, 12:05
I think the Spruce guys have been working on the revisions for DVD Studio Pro. I recently showed a DVD Studio Pro person what Maestro can do, and she seemed to think that is was remarkably similar to the Mac app.

The next 'big' authoring tool to be released will be the DVD Extra tools used for making the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire DVD Edition video game. From what I can gather this is capable of easily creating super-complicated VTSes and helps out a great deal with the asset generation required for DVD games, so creating DVD versions of say Myst or Monkey Island will become a lot more straightforward than trying to attempt it in Scenarist or Maestro.

... and I daresay it's going to be very expensive!

Arky
11th November 2002, 16:23
Wow, that really DOES sound cool! :)

And yes, judging by the price of Scenarist SGI, I imagine it WILL cost an arm and a leg. Aside from 3-D Modelling programs, this must rank up pretty high, in terms of the standard of programming (and programmer intelligence!) required to produce the software. And then there's the LEARNING of how to use it... :(

Very interesting note about the expressed "similarity" between Maestro and Studio Pro, easy2bcheesy!

I still mourn the day Spruce went Apple shaped (PEAR-shaped, if truth be told) :( :(

Arky ;o)

auenf
12th November 2002, 12:53
actually a couple of the shots of DVD Studio Pro do resemble Maestro a bit, there is still a bit of interface difference, but i dont put it past apple to 'base' their app on a competitor before buying them out to maintain it :), especiall with jobs at the helm.

Enf...

Arky
12th November 2002, 13:40
Well, as I said, in a move which looks remarkably like a favourite habit of their Arch Enemy, M$, Apple took a big bite out of Astarte's DVD Director (having gobbled Astarte up), in developing Studio Pro, rather than electing to design if from the ground-up.

Scenarist, and Maestro, were ( largely ) original in terms of their R+D.

And then there's Sonic, who appear to be unable to acknowledge that their alliance with Daikin does NOT mean that Sonic developed Scenarist! I think that's a real kick in the family jewels for all those talented engineers who worked for Daikin R+D.

And then we come full circle to the program which many believe (*no* proof here, let me make it clear!) to have been the undoing of Spruce, namely SpruceUp, which, so some say, was the result of legal action by Sonic, for appearing to be remarkably similar to DVDit! The irony, of course, being that SpruceUp actually WORKS :p

Somebody once famously coined the phrase:

"Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Perhaps the DVD-authoring software industry are simply rather fond of flattering each other, but then that's anyone's guess, in the absence of hard proof :D

Arky ;o)

Arky
11th January 2003, 15:28
My thanks to tumbar for the following links>:

h**p://www.sundancemediagroup.com/vegas.htm

h**p://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=24

Arky ;o)

Arky
20th January 2003, 10:15
DVD Architect beta now downloadable :)

h**p://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/vegas4-cs.asp

If you do decide to download this, then please enter into the spirit of things and help SoFo out by reporting bugs etc., as they request on their webpage. It's not much to ask :)

Arky ;o)

auenf
20th January 2003, 13:51
vegas+DVD looks like a nice prog, might have to download it tommorrow at work...

Enf...