PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughly dissapointed in the attitude of this thread/section!

neo_born
12th October 2002, 23:09
I want you all to know that I am thoroughly disappointed with the attitude of alot of the people refusing to give help in this Xvid section. I have seen a few good posts in here but few and far between. Neverlift seems to be one of the considerate people willing to help others. Koepi I feel let down by your attitude towards me and others (only based on what I have read from your replies). I am not starting a flamewar I really want all the readers and posters to know how let down and dissapointed in the lack of newbie/beginner help in this section. I have been reading many of the sections on doom9 and haven't come across such a lack of compassion and charity as I have in this xvid section. I want you all to know I am NOT stupid and I HAVE read the options explained (would be good if they weren't outdated 1.3). So come on xvid'rz show your true colors as a community and ACTUALLY HELP PEOPLE!:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :angry:

Teegedeck
12th October 2002, 23:18
I seriously tried, but you're making it a bit hard. And please do understand that others here do have a job or two as developers of the software that you're using and might not find it a very grateful behaviour from your side if you're always incontent with their answers. Believe me, we try to help - I ask you to show some good manners and style.

You're not making yourself more popular by posing as a victim. Man, this is just a forum, nothing anyone should get personally concerned about, we're discussing technical stuff and a hobby, that's all.

Cheers.

neo_born
12th October 2002, 23:40
Originally posted by Teegedeck
I seriously tried, but you're making it a bit hard. And please do understand that others here do have a job or two as developers of the software that you're using

I do understand and you have my gratitude for coding etc. I am not using the software because I cannot find anyone to spend some of their time to help me. oh well

and might not find it a very grateful behaviour from your side if you're always incontent with their answers.

I am really not alllllllways in a state of discontent. It's just that I have asked what I thought as helpful people in this forum to help me only to be shunned and basically told to p*ss *ff.

Believe me, we try to help

I believe you do but I just haven't received any that's all.

- I ask you to show some good manners and style.

Um do not know what you mean here please explain.(I am uncool, Unpopular but do have good manners ...thank you ....see :D

You're not making yourself more popular by posing as a victim. Man, this is just a forum, nothing anyone should get personally concerned about, we're discussing technical stuff and a hobby, that's all.

It's really not something that bothers me ...it's just that it's not a nice feeling to be shut out by your fellow peers when they can all hear(read) your plea's for help....You know?

Thanks for you reply

Koepi
12th October 2002, 23:50
Sorry, but you request _work_ from others (collect the information for you). The information you want to have is spread over some threads which you simply have to read.

You can't blame (specially me and) the people here for not supporting this kind of lazyness, sorry.

And if this isn't a flame thread against (especially me again), I don't know what it is then.

Koepi

Fairlight Excalibur
13th October 2002, 04:09
@neo_born

I suggest taking your time browsing the XviD forum and bookmarking certain posts and try to follow the guide that doom9 provides.
If you take your time doing some research and practice encoding you will learn how to make good encodes.

FLT

serbersan
13th October 2002, 11:57
I'm agree with neo_born.

I've posted some results I've obtained... because I'm testing XviD too and no one has replied it. However I've seen a post about an error by iago he posted later than me and yes.... Koepi replied it very quickly, my only problem is that the reply it's a error posted by me, hence my posted has been ignored.

....and I want to remember I'm testing XviD because I want to help with my little effort to the quality of this amazing codec.

soujir0u
13th October 2002, 12:22
Hiya guys, I admit that the XviD forum might seem a bit cold towards newbies but in reality that's not really the case. We really encourage people to use the Search function. Why? Because 99% of the questions asked are already answered in the past. Also, some people might seem rude but I guess they are just tired of reading the same old question for the 1000th time.

What I suggest is that if you have a problem or question, search thoroughly in the forums first. If you can't find any help, post a question here. It may or may not get answered. Even if it doesn't, don't feel bad, I've had many unanswered posts too. It could mean that no one knows the answer to your post.

Teegedeck
13th October 2002, 12:38
And to be honest, on some days I have even less time than usual, so it can happen I only read the posts that are most interesting, sorry. Some of us have even less time - and nobody here gets paid for the job right? The idea of a forum is that you just hope some other user might have the solution for your problem and in return you try to help other users with their problems - it's not a helpline run my moderators.

Koepi
13th October 2002, 13:13
Originally posted by Teegedeck
The idea of a forum is that you just hope some other user might have the solution for your problem and in return you try to help other users with their problems - it's not a helpline run my moderators.
Originally posted by soujir0u
Also, some people might seem rude but I guess they are just tired of reading the same old question for the 1000th time.

Sorry, I have to give some more emphasis on those, it's really a pleasure to read :)

Best regards,
Koepi

Nic
13th October 2002, 13:48
You have to understand neo_born that when asking about something like PerfectXviD or whatever, that has already been talked about, that the thread(s) on it are already big & available.
If you cannot get to grips with it & xvid, with the all the information supplied in this forum, then I guess don't use it.

In this forum you can find information all the way back from when -h first implemented 2pass to the present time. Just take your time & read, after that ask specific questions. Saying "I need help with PerfectXviD" doesn't really warrant a response.

Im sorry to sound harsh & im sorry that you feel your woes/needs have been neglected.
and I HAVE read the options explained (would be good if they weren't outdated 1.3
You should be grateful Koepi produced such a document in the first place. And the essence of whats in there is still true now. Even I have to look things up at times (recently I forgot what ModHQ was exactly & had to do a search, and after about 20secs I knew exactly wehat it was, how to use it, etc)

Ok a breakdown of your recent threads:
"What are the benefits of XviD?"
Answered by many people, but a simple search would have come up with its features

"Explanation on how to use information given by perfectxvid?"
Everyone else that uses it has got on fine, just by reading the documentation & reading through this forum. Im sure you can manage. & be more precise with what your having trouble with or contact the author with specific problems.

"Keep getting error 1hr away from finish with Xvid+Mpeg2avi"
Well this may well be a real bug, however, I think BlackSun once addressed this & either a patched version of MPEG2AVI came out, or they patched XviD. I cant remember which as it was a long time ago. But I cant be sure thats your problem. When the xvid forums come back online they should contain the posts on it.
But if you'd done a search on the forums for mpeg2avi you would have got:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=68944&highlight=mpeg2avi#post68944
At least then you could have related the problem to previous problems with MPEG2AVI

The majority of your posts seem to be asking about PerfectXviD which I know nothing about.

Basically, try harder to learn, if you can't or don't want to. Then just use DivX5.

-Nic

serbersan
13th October 2002, 14:06
It's really frustrating that nobody has interest in reply my posts???

Why?? Maybe I've been offending someone??

My results aren't valid??

Sometimes it's a question of behaviour (education??)

iago
13th October 2002, 14:33
@serbersan,

Hey, why this frustration man! ;) No replies arriving to your posts doesn't mean that they are discarded or ignored. I remember reading in one of your posts that B-frames are likely to produce some artefacts and blocks especially in motion scenes, which is true imho, or at least true based on my own experience/observations so far. On this issue for example, my post was fully supporting your observation though it was not directly addressed to you.

Come on; tests, opinions, and observations are always welcome and believe me they are not ignored! :)

Good luck,
ciao,
iago

Teegedeck
13th October 2002, 14:34
serbersan, you're jumping to conclusions. The real reason is that there's so many questions on the forum that some are destined to go unnoticed. And also, sometimes I for example have no idea about an answer and prefer to keep my mouth shut over making a fool out of myself. Like when you said you had problems with blockiness in hi-motion scenes at quant=3 with B-frames.I couldn't reproduce that problem but didn't have time to try too much. But just for you I'll try to find some very vague reasons, perhaps you've overlooked something. Like have you by mistake entered any low value for maximum bitrate (I hate that field...)? Or did you enable lumi-masking (not sure whether lumi-masking works well with B-frames)?

As for your suggestion for a shortcut for XviD's config, just create a new shortcut on the desktop with the command-line -h posted and drag it into the menue. Voila, config accessible via the Windows-menue! Was it that what you meant? Wasn't sure back then, and ain't now.

Don't get wrong impressions here, I've had some unanswered questions, too, sometimes.

serbersan
13th October 2002, 14:39
Thanks very much @iago and @Teegedeck, for your replies.

The fault was mine... I got a wrong impression

Thanks again to reply and enlightme.

Sergio

leevi
13th October 2002, 17:11
neo_born is absolutely right.

@Koepi

First, you are a great programmer but you sure have some serious attitude problems:

"And if this isn't a flame thread against (especially me again), I don't know what it is then."

Maybe you too should read this from above:

"You're not making yourself more popular by posing as a victim. Man, this is just a forum, nothing anyone should get personally concerned about, we're discussing technical stuff and a hobby, that's all."

And now, before you ask me "why are you insulting me?", think about your attitude against us newbies. Seems like you always have time to tell people to use the search button and that they are idiot n00bs and should shut up and not waste your time. With the same effort you could give great answer to the question but no. Wonder why you get so many angry replies?

Please don`t get too angry with me, these are just observations of an innocent bystander and newbie who likes Xvid.

And sorry, me no speak so good english.

vlad59
13th October 2002, 17:26
@leevi and others

I think it's better that Koepi or any Mod answer that the search button is here for a good reason ..... than not answering at all. At least you know that your post has been read and you can have an answer quickly thanks to the famous search button.

I'm not a moderator so if I mainly look at thread that interest me, but reading and answering to a maximum of thread is a part of their moderator job (in their hobby time) so please :
- everybody should calm down
- everybody should give tests to Xvid and report here.

Just my 2 (euro) cents.

-h
13th October 2002, 17:55
I try to answer questions, but it does take time and I have a lot of things to do. Unfortunately some slip through when I probably should say something.

And yes then there are some which I can personally remember answering 4 or 5 times over.

Typically, if you're polite and the question won't require too much time to figure out (i.e. "why does xvid look bad?" is something I'd probably ignore), you'll get a succint answer. Of course in my definition of "polite" I'd have to include "uses forum searches wherever possible" :)

-h

TheUnforgiven
13th October 2002, 18:00
this is taken from perfectXviD thread:

"
here is an easy way which gives good but not necessarily the best result:
set low to the minimum percentage.
set high to somewhere where most of the frames r below ignoring all the very big few frames.
if most of the frames r around the average set aggression to low
if the frames distribute equally choose medium
if there r many frames far from the average choose high aggression.
"

this is just a suggestion for testing.
it may be wrong.

..and welcome to the forum:D

Koepi
13th October 2002, 18:18
Originally posted by leevi
neo_born is absolutely right.

@Koepi

First, you are a great programmer but you sure have some serious attitude problems:

I'm no great programmer. I just code what I feel that it needs to be done and noone else is doing it - and the code could look way better.

But to reply to "my wrong attitude":

Well, sure, it's MY problem that I code software for free.
It's my bad that I even support it here.

And it's my failure that I tell "use the search" for frequently answered questions instead of showing you how to use e.g. toilet paper, windows, programs that I even never heard of,... and so on ;)

There is all the information out there. Maybe it's time to make up a newbie forum for xvid here as well, as we're having plenty of serious posts which I can't answer as my time is up again and I had to spend it with reading "Your codec suck and your program as well because I don't get the results I want."

I doubt that my attitude is wrong, I think that everybody using experimental stuff has the duty to inform her/himself as much as possible _before_ posting.

Sorry that I don't feel like spending my time with those questions is an apropiate usage of that time. Mostly, if I have more time to spend and there aren't "insults" like the abovementioned in the post I reply with "Use the search. You will find...." - so it's a hint to use the search and a short summary (way too short usually *evil grin* to enforce the usage of the search) of the problem/solution.

I think the attitude "you made a program. So you owe me." is the wrong one.

Uff.

It's really frustrating that this attitude is common sense amongst the new users. If you want something easy where you don't have to learn anything and don't have to read up things, use DivX.

Please don't take this personal, but that additional attack against me is sure misleading.

Regards,
Koepi

EDIT:
PS: ...and I don't call anyone stupid or an idiot. That's your interpretation. I mention that nowhere with any syllable, I would be an idiot to do so. This huge amount of disinformation (and telling that as "the truth") is really insulting :(

Nic
13th October 2002, 18:26
I think we've heard enough from all sides, and all sides have explained themselves well enough. So im opting to close this thread now.

I hope both sides (mods & users) can take something positive away from this.

-Nic

ps
If any mod feels this should continue, then feel free to re-open.