PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate subtitle languages

InfoCynic
3rd October 2002, 09:08
So I went to finsih up my rip of Batman and Robin (stop laughing, it's still Batman, and though it wasn't very good, it's STILL BATMAN :)), and as always, I add subtitles last (I just overburn them). I've seen this a few times before but I finally decided to see if it's just me... when I open VobSub configure and open the IFO, I see (e.g.):
00 - English
01 - English
02 - Francais
03 - Francais
04 - Espanol
05 - Espanol

And if I just proceed as normal, I get 2 English streams and a French stream that doesn't work. :) If I remove the odds, I get 1 English and 1 French which both work. SubRip shows the streams as 1 - English 2 - French 3 - Spanish but 2 is really an English track and 3 a French track.

Minor annoyance, I don't need the subs, but would be nice.
Thanks.

InfoCynic
22nd October 2002, 18:06
Sorta a bump, just wondering if anyone has any ideas because this happened again, on The Hudsucker Proxy. Using VobSub 2.18:
00 - English
01 - English
02 - Francais
03 - Francais
--> 2 identical English streams

Subrip again has it right, it pops up a dialog "Closed Captions detected" when I open the IFO. Maybe that has something to do with the duplicate streams?

old-hack
22nd October 2002, 21:55
What I'm discovering about subtitles, is that one is for written words for the entire movie, while another is for translation when someone in the movie speaks a different language. For example, Dances with Wolves translates all of the Indian language spoken during the movie and displays it in the subtitles portion of the screen. In the Windtalkers, I saw two English subtitles. Normally I don't keep any subtitle tracks. However, when I authored the movie, wrote it to DVD+RW, and played it on my desktop, the Navajo Indian translations were missing. So, I ripped the DVD and chose only the first English subtitle track. This showed all dialog in English text including the Navajo Indian translations. The other English subtitle track was for only those scenes where the Navajo Indians spoke their language and displayed the English translation. This was the only subtitle track I wanted. So I ripped the DVD again keeping only the second English subtitle track. Unfortunately, subrip couldn't find any subtitles to save as bmps. It found all of them when I ripped the DVD using the first English subtitle track. However, you can't automatically separate the Navajo translations from the entire subtitle track.

Anyone run into this before and have a suggestion for ripping only foreign subtitles (translations for someone speaking other than English in the movie)?

As was mentioned in an earlier post, subrip pops up a window stating that "closed caption" was detected with a checkmark in box. Could this be how to separate out the foreign language subtitles from the entire English subtitles?

InfoCynic
22nd October 2002, 22:09
I know that DWW and some titles (Traffic comes to mind) had 2 English subtitle tracks in that case -- sometimes called "original presentation" and "closed captions for the hearing impaired." VobSub or whatever subtitler you're using should work normally, just find the right track.

Otherwise it's a matter of "forced" subtitles, and I'm not sure how to do that in VobSub, but in SubRip it's under Options / Global Options / Forced subtitles only.

Of course, then there's the Star Trek VI approach... burn the subs for the foreign (Klingon) parts into the movie, although at least there they were in a black border below the picture, so you could crop it off and work with a subtitle file.

shindsh
6th November 2002, 03:52
Did you figure out this problem? I have same problem with SubRip 1.11 ripping the French subtitle in "The Sum of all Fears" that it reports. The subtitles are English. IFOEdit and SubRip both say that there is a French subtitle, so where is it? Minor annoyance as you put it.

Regards,
Shree