PDA

View Full Version : pioneer 04 firmware----question

orbit-r
27th September 2002, 12:35
hi
got a question for you coders..
is it possible to modify the firmware of the pionneer 04 burner that it burns all discs at 2x?? cause in the firmware exists a list of expensive manufactures(pionner,verbatim..)which burns the 04 with a speed of 2x...,so i was wondering when adding f.e. princo and so on....

much thanxs
orbit-r:confused:

int 21h
27th September 2002, 13:39
More than likely there is a table of Mfg IDs kept somewhere in the firmware and referred to, to check 2x compatibility. Obviously you can't just add entries to a table (because of the size increase), but you might be able to have the checking process always return what it looks for to be 2x. You'd have to have a good ASM person check out a firmware dump (not even sure what language its in though).

orbit-r
27th September 2002, 14:05
mmhh,sounds complicated however i got no clue about this...

maybe someone can do what you wrote,cause this would be very nice..:p ???

thanxs
orbit-r

alexnoe
30th September 2002, 09:21
The language is probably the assembly language of the chipset/microprocessor which is inside that drive...but why would you want to burn all media at 2x? Do you need some coasters?

orbit-r
30th September 2002, 13:00
what is a coaster? i simply want to burn faster....

orbit-r

alexnoe
30th September 2002, 13:17
A coaster is a bad burn (unreadable disc, medium-write-error, power-calibration-error etc). This is exactly what you get if you burn discs at a speed they are not good for.
The pioneer writers can't even write some media at 1x, and you want 2x for all :confused:

orbit-r
30th September 2002, 13:54
ahh i understand the coaster...
but this is the thing,maybe all discs can be burned at 2x because with the old firmware it wasn`t possible to burn f.e. primediscs at 2x then with the 1.31 it was possible,now with the1.32 it is impossible again...so i think its not the way the discs are produced,itīs more like this:companies (verbatim ..)who paid pioneer money are listed in the firmware for burning at 2x speed and therefor are able to sell their media expensive...

but maybe im wrong,
orbit-r

alexnoe
30th September 2002, 14:15
Did you read carefully in the forum? Several people had nothing but coasters with Primedisc (=Ritek) at 2x speed, and the idea of burning CMC (=cheaply made crap) at 2x caused my stomach to ache...

orbit-r
30th September 2002, 14:22
mhh ok didn`t read that....